• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Poor Image Resolutions Due To Resizing...help!!

Please help...this is driving me crazy!

I just downloaded 2.2ms1 the other day and am having trouble with my images. I upload my product images in the size that I want them to be in "Click here to enlarge" view. They are then automatically resized in half for the main page and product page but they look bad. If I resize them in Photoshop, they look great but I can't use that image because the "click here to enlarge" view won't be any different. I tried installing the Small, Medium, Large contribution but it errored out and didn't work at all. Keep in mind the images are not distorted from incorrect proportioning, I create the images double my width and heighth settings in oscommerce. Any ideas??

What browser are you using? I think the browser does the resizing.

Do you have a URL we can look at?

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

IE6.0

www.sweetdreamers.com

There's 2 pictures...item #9820 is uploaded at 80x200 (clear image) and item #4831 is uploaded at 160x400 (blurry image). #4831 looks great in the enlarged version and #9820 stays the same size in enlarged view(settings are 80x200 in oscommerce).

I'm considering just removing the enlarge view option but that would just be a temporary fix...I think it's critical for there to be an enlarged version for this type of product.

That's weird that is looks so blurry. I thought normally when you scale by 2:1, 3:1, etc it works pretty good.

We switched to all small pictures, but it was more for page loading speed than quality concerns.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

• 1 month later...

In admin/images, you need to change either Small Image Height or Width to be blank or 0 (which works may depend on OSC version). That will make it stop changing the proportions and limit only by the other value. For example, if you set the width to be 0, then it will set the width proportionally based on the fixed height value.

Hth,

Matt

If you go check out that site, some of the photos i have are huge. Will that distort the entire layout of the site?

Only if they are wacky proportioned. Image size is still constrained, just only by one of height or width rather than both. The only time it will cause problems is if you have a mix of really wide and really tall images (note: if the same image is both wide and tall, it won't matter; it's only when you constrain by width on a tall image or constrain by height on a wide image that you have a problem). If your images are pretty much square or in another consistent ratio (e.g. twice as tall as they are wide), then you can just set the constraint appropriately.

Good luck,

Matt

They're all different sizes. Checkout www.thomasdesoto.com. is there anything that i'm going to be able to do? Or do i just have to resize all to a square format then allow different images when they goto the actual product description?

Archived