• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

where are the sub categories in the database?

I'm going to have to upload txt files of products and categories and sub categories, but I don't see a table listing for sub-categories in the chart (pdf) nor in the listing of tables in phpmyadmin. How do I indicate sub-categories? I have created one sub-category via admin - I was expecting to see it somewhere in the list of tables.

Along the same line, I see "categories_id = parent_id" in the chart and in the database table. Maybe this is answering my own question?? parent, the category; others, sub-category? If I've just found the answer to my own question, any confirmation would be nice and very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Your assumption is correct. :)

If you have your data stored in text files, I would suggest the use of the Easy Populate contribution to assist you in the upload.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Thanks, Daemonj.

re Easy Populate - I've looked through the posting on it. It seems that it would add complexity to the process for me. It appears that I can append or replace tables easily via phpmyadmin.

The txt files still need a lot of work - they are from the existing ecom system that I did not work on originally - client/employer had this installed already There's no db program to work with, though I will see what/if excel can do to speed up the process. It's around 1000 products, lots of sub categories.

You are correct that EP will be more complex than a standard import.

You have to keep in mind that instead of just pushing data into tables, you also have to maintain relationships between tables about that data. A few examples are maintaining products and categories or products and their attributes.

Be aware of that before you just start dumping data in or you will be in for a lot of update statements to get everything in line. ;)

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Yes, that's why I was looking into the categories.

I plan on setting up the category table first, then products, products to categories, product descriptions all at once. Then do the attributes in osc admin.

Does that make sense?

I expect to upload one category of product at a time.

Are you saying there is some advantage to using Easy Pop?

Are you saying there is some advantage to using Easy Pop?

It does it all for you. :)

You just need to have one record for each product. When you upload the file everything else is created/modified for you.

I find that to be much easier. But everyone does everything differently so whatever you feel comfortable with. ;)

Archived