• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Checkout/Cart problems - strange stuff

proton318

I can add items to the shopping cart, then when I hit the "checkout" button, it says my shopping cart is empty. So I can go back to the catalog pages, and the items are magically there again. Another strange problem is that when I log out of my test account, it will say that it has saved my items in the cart, but they are not there when I log back in. They do show up in my shopping cart after I have logged back out of the account (when they shouldn't be there at all). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

Delegated to web lackey - again.

ALSO - I just talked to my hosting service who brought this up ... he asked if using a shared SSL server certificate would cause a problem with cookies? In other words since my url changes when it goes to a secure part of the site, like the checkout, the cookie is no longer recognized and therefore causes these problems. Is that possible and if it is, how can I change my original settings to go without the SSL just to test the cart? Of course if this is the problem I will purchase a SSL of my own instead of using a SSL shared server.

since my url changes when it goes to a secure part of the site, like the checkout, the cookie is no longer recognized and therefore causes these problems

That is exactly what it is....I had the same problem and couldn't figure out how to fix it without getting your own SSL cert.

Well, here's the solution, if you can call it that ... it's bascially as my hosting service suspected. Sicne the cookies don't transfer from my domain (www.grapefish.com) to my shared secure server (www.securepage001/www.grapefish.com) it was causing my cart to look as if it was empty. I went back and removed my secured server info from the config file and ran a test transaction without an ssl connection. Sure enough it works great. So basically in order to solve the issue, I am buying my own secure server certificate so that the domain url never changes (and avoids this problem). It's better that way anyhow, since my customers aren't being redirected.

Just to answer your question, I am using PHP v 4.3.2-dev

• 1 month later...
Well, here's the solution, if you can call it that ... it's bascially as my hosting service suspected. Sicne the cookies don't transfer from my domain (www.grapefish.com) to my shared secure server (www.securepage001/www.grapefish.com) it was causing my cart to look as if it was empty. I went back and removed my secured server info from the config file and ran a test transaction without an ssl connection. Sure enough it works great. So basically in order to solve the issue, I am buying my own secure server certificate so that the domain url never changes (and avoids this problem). It's better that way anyhow, since my customers aren't being redirected.

I'm having similar problems - how do you go about buying your own secure server certificate and getting it installed? What do I need to tell my web host support folks? I need to get this done.

Thanks.

I just went through the process of getting an ssl certificate. It's pretty easy -ask your hosting company to set you up with one! It will cost $100+ for the certificate and you'll also need a static IP address unless your support guys know something mine don't.

Then, if they set everything up correctly, you can just set the SSL variable to true in your configure.php and away you go!

If you don't need a static IP address please let me know -- I'd love to find out if it's possible to do without one.

Good luck! :D

-al

My support guy just told me I'd have to have a static IP and that it would cost me a one time fee of $60 and then the cost of the certificate. I assume they do the installing. Is yours working okay? Who is your gateway company because that's my next fear. I can't get a good receipt posted from them to my website when confirming a secure transaction. They say they can't "post" a receipt to a secure server. Doesn't make sense to me.

Archived