• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2 Stupid questions

LostInPHP

I know... no question is stupid, but the one not asked.. right? well I feel super stupid asking these questions. As I've said before I'm very new to the php scene.

1)What is the MySQL thingy? (told ya it was a stupid question) do I have to use it and if so what for? I clicked it before and it make my store all messed up to the point I had to uninstall and reinstall.

2) I use PayPal for payments... that hooked up fine, but I'd like to secure the customer log-in page as well as their account page... that little yellow lock makes people more relaxed about giving out any personal. How do I make those pages secure(this is new for me too). Do I move them?...I'm lost.

Terri

Help me I'm lost in PHP and I don't have a map!

Ok...."you are new".

MySQL is a database. It is what stores all of the information for your store. You can find out all you need to know about it at http://www.mysql.com

To make your pages "secure" you must run them on a "secure" server. You can use something like http://www.thawte.com to find out more about this. Many times your hosting company will provide you with a "shared secure certificate." In these cases....you simply use the URL which they tell you to handle all of your "secure" transactions.

HTH,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

1)What is the MySQL thingy? (told ya it was a stupid question) do I have to use it and if so what for? I clicked it before and it make my store all messed up to the point I had to uninstall and reinstall.

Terri, the MySQL "thingie" is your database. The databse stores the information about your products, your customers, and lots of the settings for the osCommerce program.

When you say you "clicked" it....Exactly where and how did you do that?

2) I use PayPal for payments... that hooked up fine, but I'd like to secure the customer log-in page as well as their account page... that little yellow lock makes people more relaxed about giving out any personal. How do I make those pages secure(this is new for me too). Do I move them?...I'm lost.

Before we can tell you how to secure your pages, you need to check with your server and find out if there is HTTPS associated with your account and what the address of your secure server is. You will then have to make a coupl of changes in the config file.

Hi Kim,

I'm using cPanel6 and there is a MySQL logo in my admin for cPanel that I clicked on... it took me to a tree of files. I backed out because that scared the heck out of me... I know nothing about that kind of thing or any of the commands to use in there. I looked at the mysql site and got a headache just trying to make heads or tails out of it. Anyway... after I backed out of the MySQL thingy my site was messed up.. I had all kinds of error messages on the top of the pages and in my cPanel ifself it was showing my MySQL was in error.

As far as making pages secure.. I have my secure server info. I just don't know what to do with it....and don't know if I have to move files or what.

I'm no stranger to html at all.... just to php and all these new gizmo's on my new hosting server.

Thanks

Terri

I also use CPanel, but I've never had the error you describe.

When I go into CPanel and then MySQL, I normally go to the bottom and there is a link there to phpMyAdmin. I click on that and it takes me to the screen with the osCommerce shops tables on the left hand side. If I click on a table, it shows me the table fields on the main window (right side). Then if I want to look at the data, I can click on the "Browse" tab that is on the main window and it will show me the rows of data. This is all just browsing and doesn't cause me any trouble to do.

Do you only have the one MySQL database on your site for the osCommerce shop?

Let me know if I can answer any CPanel or MySQL questions.

HankFrid

If I build it...they will come.

If I don't try to build it.....I will never know!

Hi,

What you describe is what I saw. My main thing is this.... what do I use this datebase for? are there mods in there that I can do? or is it mostly for getting data. I'm such a newbie! :oops:

Terri

Very rarely should you need to access your database directly like through CPanel or PHPMyAdmin.

If you happen to install a contribution that requires a change to the database then you will need to use PHPMyAdmin to load the changes but that would be it.

Do not worry about it too much at this point in time. ;)

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Hey Terri, it's refreshing to actually meet someone that doesn't say "tried pounding a square into a tube" an expect or demand support for it =)...

So, lets see what we can do =)

re: MySQL

This is a collection of text files stored in a logical order. Within this text is stored all your store configuration, and product information as well as customer information, order history etc... When you use the administration panel in osCommerce your interfacing with a front end for writing to that backend.. You'll never make modifications to that database in it's raw form unless your prepared for a few sleepless nights. It's not for the feint of heart =).

When backing up your website, you'll want to use the phpMyAdmin tool as outlined above to Export your Database *note to save Structure and Data* as well as your images directory.. I'm not sure about cPanel, I host for my clients out of Ensim which is 1 click and all is backed up. Check with your host to see if they offer that. Or let me know your version and I'll dig into it for you.

Now, onto HTTPS... This is a wonderful thing.. Again I can only speak from Ensim experience, cPanel users jump in and save me here =0... But in your Control Panel under HTTP or Web Server settings and you should be able to add an SSL Certificate.. This providing that your ISP Plan allows for this, and if they have not provided you with a Certificate then you will need to generate a request, and copy and paste that request while purchasing a Cert from a Vendor such as Thawte or Verisign. if you have to go with the 2nd route it's going to cost a few hundred dollars.

I hope this was helpful, if I've obscured anything let me know and I'll try and clean it up hehe..

Good luck on you osCommerce Venture !

Ryan

*sigh of relief* lol

That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be missing important customer stuff in there or something. I'm just going for the basic store... nothing too fancy so I don't think I'll have a need to poke around in there.

Terri

:?:

As far as making pages secure.. I have my secure server info. I just don't know what to do with it....and don't know if I have to move files or what.  

I'm no stranger to html at all.... just to php and all these new gizmo's on my new hosting server.

That is my question exactly! I know the information but now that I know the info. Know what I want to do. How do I do it. :D :?:

On the SSL... I have it available to me through my host... just don't know what to do with OsC to get the pages secure.

I'm pretty sure I have a back up tool somewhere.... I'll figure it out lol

I'm coming from hand building sites and building with frontpage on Tripod to osCommerce.... talk about just taking the leap! LOL

As far as demanding help.... shoots... this was a free program. I took it on my own and figured there was enough info and helpful folks here I could get a store going without a problem.... so far... I gotta say this forum has been the most helpful and kind that I've found in a very, very long time. It's nice to come here and just read even.... everyone is nice and I have yet to see any of the stuff out there that can give a forum a bad name. IMHO there is no reason for anyone to ever demand help with a great forum like this!

:?:

That is my question exactly! I know the information but now that I know the info. Know what I want to do. How do I do it. :D :?:

Edit both includes/configure.php files for the https path and set Enable SSL to true.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Archived