• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

almost ready to go live with a property site...not a store

daithi

PropertyIreland.net

ok, almost ready with this.

Any feedback is extremely welcome.

Got p***ed off with trying to sell my house through an agent so started working on this.

Go ahead and upload rubbish if you want, but please no offensive images/comments - the uploads go live immediatly, this will be turned off when the site goes live.

So as I said, it's not a store but can be used for people looking for property.

Nice site and nice idea behind it!!!

There were a few things I did notice.

On your "Featured Properties" bar, you are using black text while all other box headers use white text, I don't know if this was intentional, but it did strike me as being off.

The other thing is this:

If you want to advertise our own property, you will need to log in or create an account?

Shouldn't it read: "If you want to advertise your own property,"

Nice job.

On your "Featured Properties" bar, you are using black text while all other box headers use white text, I don't know if this was intentional, but it did strike me as being off.

Yes this is intentional as it is a link, while the others aren't, but maybe it would look better white....

If you want to advertise our own property, you will need to log in or create an account?

Shouldn't it read: "If you want to advertise your own property,"

well spotted, thank you - thats been looking at me for the past few weeks and i never noticed...

I was thinking of doing something along the same lines using Oscommerce as the base but creating a fork.

Then I found http://www.open-realty.org/

I'm still debating whether to fork though, as I believe Oscommerce is a better App, but not particularly suited to Property listings: Eg, I want to list 4 bedroom houses in Area XYZ, that have an ensuite bathroom and a downstairs shower-room, in the price range 250,000 > 350,000. Possible with Osc? Not without massive extra coding...

Yes this is intentional as it is a link, while the others aren't, but maybe it would look better white....

Maybe make it white with a black rollover effect?

At the very least, you should change the color of the rollover as you have it now. When you point to it, the text disappears. If you leave it black then I would make the rollover text color white. Just an opinion though.

Maybe make it white with a black rollover effect?

At the very least, you should change the color of the rollover as you have it now. When you point to it, the text disappears. If you leave it black then I would make the rollover text color white. Just an opinion though.

Just tried changing the link colour to white, but then all the links go white....

So I solved it by using the arrow from the info boxes.

I was thinking of doing something along the same lines using Oscommerce as the base but creating a fork.

I'm still debating whether to fork though, as I believe Oscommerce is a better App, but not particularly suited to Property listings: Eg, I want to list 4 bedroom houses in Area XYZ, that have an ensuite bathroom and a downstairs shower-room, in the price range 250,000 > 350,000. Possible with Osc? Not without massive extra coding...

Haven't seen open-realty, and it looks as though the site is down at the moment so can't comment on it.

But i'm sure what you want to do can be done without too much extra coding in osc - it is just figuring out the search functions that stopped me adding these....

Nice site....

1 comment -- Change the HeaderNav Bar text color to black or a dark color. White is hard to see.

Nice site....

1 comment -- Change the HeaderNav Bar text color to black or a dark color. White is hard to see.

Trying to help,

RicRogue

Nice site....

Trying to help,

RicRogue

any comments are appreciated...I did change the navbar text to black for a short while yesterday, but thought it didn't look right, might just be me being used to seeing it while...will experiment with a few other colours, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

well after a few changes and a lot of testing, http://www.propertyireland.net is going live this wekend, so if any of you are from Ireland and want to advertise your propery for sale with up to 3 images for free, work away...or if you want to find a property in Ireland...

it's all junk data at the moment, this will be cleared on thursday.

as usual any comments on the look, feel and usability of the site are appreciated, thanks.

Burt,

I was thinking of building Estate Agents websites for a while - I started off with Open-Realty.org made a ton of changes and bolted on oscommerce so that visitors could create their own portfolio (in the shopping cart)

It worked really well, although the code was never finished.

I think open-realty is a better place to start for an estate agents site - but the example shown here from daithi does show oscommerce used to good effect.

BrianD

Burt,

I was thinking of building Estate Agents websites for a while - I started off with Open-Realty.org made a ton of changes and bolted on oscommerce so that visitors could create their own portfolio (in the shopping cart)

It worked really well, although the code was never finished.

that's a pity, sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of openrealty when i started http://www.propertyireland.net but i am happy with oscommerce.

but the example shown here from daithi does show oscommerce used to good effect.

Thanks, it is now live since last tuesday and while not showing in search engines yet it is doing ok with property submitals...

at the moment i?m using an 800x600 monitor and i can?t see your site complete..

cheers

It is 2003 where I live, the reason people have to support 800x600 is cause people like you! Time to pack it up and move out of Afghanistan.

Archived