• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

No checkout and payment

wendys

Hello,

I'm a newbie to OSCommerce software. I don't know much about php and mysql either and hoping to learn it by practicing.

I don't why there is no detailed documentation on how to start from scratch on OSCommerce's website. I did find one thread lead to Wiki's website and found some detailed steps on how to install and set up configuration.

I'm trying to build an online store. I have a host company supports php and mysql.

I followed all the steps there and was able to see my store on line with products and shopping cart last night. But once I hit Checkout, it lead to a page couldn't be found. Now today I don't even know what's the address to see the webpage oscommerce built for me. I was able to go to configuration part but not the online catalog part.

Could someone help me on this? And I really appreciate if anyone could point me to instructions on how to install the program and what to do with those add on contributions.

Thanks.

Wendys;

You need to give a little more information maybe.

What version of osCommerce did you install? Was it the MS or a daily snapshot and from what day?

When you say you can get into the Configuration today, but not the catalog, what exactly do you mean? If you can get into the Admin side, like going to the catalog to add new products, there should be a link in the top navigator bar to go to "online catalog". What happens when you click on that????

As far as the contributions go, it's a variety, as it is a Contribution board. Most people will put the contribution together where if a file/program needs just a little modification, they will tell you what to look for and replace in the readme file or installation file that is included in the contribution. Some put what they call "Diff" files in which compares what they started with to what they ended up with after modifications were made. The Diff files give you line numbers to change, insert, and delete code. But if you are not on that starting version, it can be difficult. I don't mind contributions with all the above (full file, readme changes and Diff files), but I hate just getting Diff files.

The contributions are zipped, so you need an unzipp program once you download them to your hard drive. Many use WinZip. I like it just fine. Whatever unzip program you use needs to recognize ".tar" files, as that is the extension to many of the contributions.

So, once you download the zip file, unzip it, then take a look at the readme file and it should explain how to apply the contribution.

There are other tips in applying contributions. Just too many to list here.

First.....ALWAYS BACKUP everything you have before a contribution. There's nothing worse then trying to apply a simple/small contribution and the next thing you know, your shop is dead as a doorknob and no backups to recover.

When you see a contribution you like, try a search out here for it and see if others have reported problems with it.

HankFrid

If I build it...they will come.

If I don't try to build it.....I will never know!

sorry wendys

In my notes about contributions I forgot the to say that most contributions are a combination of changes they tell you to make in the readme file along with full-files for those that have major changes.

HankFrid

If I build it...they will come.

If I don't try to build it.....I will never know!

Wendys;

>You need to give a little more information maybe.

>What version of osCommerce did you install?  Was it the MS or a daily snapshot and from what day?

I installed ms2.2.

>When you say you can get into the Configuration today, but not the >catalog, what exactly do you mean?  If you can get into the Admin side, >like going to the catalog to add new products, there should be a link in >the top navigator bar to go to "online catalog".  What happens when you >click on that????

When I clicked on the online catalog, it leads to a page saying can't find.

The address is www.mystore.com/catalog/

I did double check this catalog folder and everything is there.

If you could guide me further, I would really appreciate.

Wendy

HankFrid

Archived