• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What's up with google?

rmyles

The same thing is happening to me with google, I have changed the products_id to hgsinfo_hg on my site but I don't know whether this will help at all. If it is filtering anything past the = then this is tricky...

To change your products_id use a program like ultraedit which is capabla of mass text replacement. Replace products_id with something else in all *.php files in your catalog folder, then export your database, open the .sql in Ultraedit or similar program, and replace products_id with whatever, and thats it.

whether it helps I don't know yet, I am going to mess about a bit more with it.

Anyone know how to replacemask the equals?

Andy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I said above about masking the '=' in the url, this is what the search engine friendly appears to do. I have never used this as it says still under development. What are the downsides of it?

I think I will try this, its a shame it takes so long to find out if anything works :)

Well, I used to have my search engine friendly urls turned on and I had gotten good listings this week. But, I dropped from #1 to gone on some categories. I was thinking that it could be changing the / to =.

Has anyone noticed this kind of correlation?

Chris, I was wondering if you had done anything like this? I know Josh said his dropped and he didn't know why. I have some items showing up but most are gone. However, some of the links are to my default page and they are gone too. How much has anyone looked at the success and failure of OSC sites and / or = factoring in with this.

Googlebot 2.1 was on my site yesterday.

Should I just be patient and wait?

I'm not really a dog.

Google is eliminating all product listings from websites that have a PR of less than 6.

So, it looks as though the product listings for small merchants are history. i guess we're going to need to focus more on content.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Well it didn't remove every one of mine yet, but there are small competitiors of mine that are still up there.

Chris, have you ever heard that Google has a problem with sites that have = in their file paths?

This sucks! I'm not just going to accept this. :(

I'm not really a dog.

No, Google spiders dynamic sites (with '=') very, very well.

In fact, at one time, every single one of my products were listed on the first page of google. If you type in "buy unreal II" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=buy+unreal+II), you will still see a product listing of mine on hte first page, with the url having a '=' in it.

However, I have it on very good authority the Google *is* eliminating all pages it deems as 'product listings' from its index. I lost a couple hundred listings myself. what qualifies as a product listing? I dunno. But I take it that it's not going to happen overnight. They are going to slowly weed them out and move them over to Froogle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

What timing! I was just getting good listings on Google.

I wonder how they are going to work AdWords then? I've been using it for several months and I get good results with it, but I just wanted to show up more places and without having to pay for it.

You have probably gone through the feelings I am having and long since moved on.

I'm not really a dog.

Yeah, it kinda frustrating.

I did notcie that many of my listings that *were* in google are now over at 'Froogle' with the same first page results. So I hope thay put that baybeinto production soon.

In the meantime, I'd suggest heavy content on your main page. Google love text information.

Actually, I changed my main text yesterday to include my key products and categories with links to them. I heard this could really help, but could it hurt?

One thing I had noticed is that pic of items on the default page gave those items higher rankings for me.

I did see a trick somewhere today or at least I think it's a trick. It seemed that someone put text in the same color as the background so it wouldn't show up to people but the bots would see it. Have you heard of that one?

I'm not really a dog.

What sucks even more is that, and I quote, "Froogle only supports U.S. online stores with English-language websites and products priced in U.S. dollars."

Well thank you google for screwing the international market.

:cry:

Well, perhaps that will only be for hte beta.

Otherwise, I have no idea. I though I had Google prettyfigured out when I had all of those teriffic listings. But now.....

alos, I havn't see nthe 216.239. deep parsing bit in seveal months.

I did see a trick somewhere today or at least I think it's a trick. It seemed that someone put text in the same color as the background so it wouldn't show up to people but the bots would see it. Have you heard of that one?

That would be a very unwise thing to do, this is a well known and old 'trick' to most of the search engines, you could end up being penalised or even having your site dropped completely if you do this.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting me know although I didn't have any intention of trying it, but some other people have told me that it is a very bad idea too.

I'm not really a dog.

As all of you know, I was obsessed with this yesterday and I learned a great deal from it. I spent about 10 hrs yesterday reading and looking and studying. Some of us are just being re indexed. Go to Google Dance and look at all 9 servers and you can see some of the differences. I will list some links and things that I found yesterday that you might find helpful. Here is a download called Google Monitor that allows you to set up a list of keywords you want to see how you place on and it will do a search and show you were you are for each keyword all at one time. I found it on SEO chat where a number of people are using it. Here is the download http://www.cleverstat.com/google-monitor.htm

Here are all the Google data center links

http://www-ex.google.com/

http://www-sj.google.com/

http://www-va.google.com/

http://www-dc.google.com/

http://www-ab.google.com/

http://www-in.google.com/

http://www-zu.google.com/

http://www-cw.google.com/

http://www-fi.google.com/

Here is how they supposedly route:

www-ex, www-sj, and www-cw all go to the Exodus datacenter in Santa Clara, CA.

www-va, and www-dc go to Cable and Wireless, Sterling, VA.

www-ab, and www-fi, go to Teleglobe in Ashburn, VA.

www-in is Veiro, San Jose, CA.

www-zu is C&W Europe - Zurich, Switzerland.

That is what someone told me and I haven?t tried to prove or disprove it.

I would suggest using the toolbar, as it is really very helpful. Use the highlight when you look at who is number one in a category. PR is supposedly using links and the quality of the links to along with content to establish your PR. For instance since I sell dried and preserved flowers a link from a craft site is relevant where a link from a computer game site is not.

The content is a key thing here too. The site that is and has been number one for over a year ?dried flowers? has those words all over in it with links to things they do and have. They also have quite a bit of backward links and they made an info site that credits them for supporting it and links to them. I?m going to work on a lot of these things.

Oh, that crap I was reading about the = sign doesn?t seem to be applicable to OSC, or at least not mine.

One more thing, it seems that Google might be crawling sites by category, because when I looked at the rankings for certain pages it has hit most of them the same day or very close together. So, it might just be crawling me right now because of my product line. If you look at the cache version of a listing you can see the snapshot of the page with the date on it. Most of my previous were from April 11- 26. But, I had new categories and products show up recently after they were added.

Josh and Chris, I don?t think that Froogle theory is correct at least not at the moment. I?m obviously no expert, just a man with an obsession.

I'm not really a dog.

John,

Great information. I've used the google dance maching and the google monitor tools for several months now. There is also a free link popularity tool, which shows exactly how many different websites link to your site accross the internet. I use the downloaded rogram, but I'll see if I can dig up the url where I got it from.

The Froogle theory might not be correct, but one thing is for an absolute certain. Google is try9ing to remove all product listings from its index. They only want the url from the main page to turn up in seaches, based on content it finds on different pages.

WizardsandWars.com currently has a PR rating of 4, however, like I said Google has dropped a couple of hundred different direct product links from its index. We've seen the same thing with our sister store, MadMacGames.com. And there have been several other shop owners that have complained of the same. The URL to the index.php is still there, but product listings are dropping out.

I have heard from an employee of the Google Blogging Team that product listings will continue to drop from the google index, as it gears up for the production launch of Froogle.

Chris,

I would like to see that popularity tool.

I have a quesion you might be able to answer. What does it mean when a listing has a date near it? Does that mean it's a Freshbot crawl?

I'm not really a dog.

It means that's when hte website was last crawled.

How long is it from when Google crawls to when they update their links?

The date says oakvalley.com was crawled on June 13, 2003, but if you search for oakvalley Paul Dodd, the link is to PaulDodd.html which is a dead link and has been for a couple months. It's actually 404'd to PaulDodd.php. Does this interfere with Google ability to detect the new links? I would think they could look at my index page to find the new links.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

How long is it from when Google crawls to when they update their links?

Up to 2 months.

Does this interfere with Google ability to detect the new links?

No, it will not interfere with Google finding new links. But I'm not sure if an error redirect will keep a listing indexed. I would guess not.

I know it's hard, but patience is the most important thing in regards to Google. Somestimes it can take several months to get indexed properly. Andright now, with all the moving around Google has been doing, I wouln't be surprised to see them take even longer.

I haven't seen the 216.239. obt in over 2 months now, so think that something is up there too. Usually it visits wvery 3 weeks.

Wow I now have 381 listings in google - including all my products:

http://www.google.com/search?q=+site:www.r...com.au+clothing

How does that fit with your theory Chris? Maybe it is shortlived? I dunno...

And I still don't have a PR assigned to me yet.

This is a really good tool - it tells you when robots (not just google) have visited and which pages, with graphs.

http://www.googlestats.com/english/

Jen

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

oh my god - I swear it was there a minute ago. Shortlived is right?!? I am even hittting my browser history to make sure I have the exact search terms etc but now I only have my first page there? this is weird... must be the dance???

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

Yeah, we've seen some new product listings appear over the last few days., Not sure I know why.

Like I said, everytime I think I have Google figured out, they throw me for a loop.

I sent Google an email asking why they still link to www.oakvalley.com/PaulDodd.html instead of www.oakvalley.com/PaulDodd.php. They responded by giving me this URL http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...F-8&q=Paul+Dodd to help me find my page. Apparently they think I'm such a moron that I can't type my name in a box and click Google Search. Are there classes in school now on how to give unresponsive responses are does it just come naturally to some customer service people.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

As soon as i turned on my demo site, I lost my google listing completly. I used to come up close to number 1 with a search for AnyTime Communications. Now, Hell i dont know where im at. Sites getting more content anyway just frustrating.

Broadway

anybody.anywhere.anytime

Archived