• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What file accesses the Customer/Order Database?

I'm brand new at this and setting up my store. I'd like to access the Customer and Order databases directly rather than dealing with them through the painfully slow administration screen. I assume this is possible but I don't know where to find them. Which file? Where to look?

Thanks

Mark

Not sure what you are trying to do but using the Administration screen is definitely the best way to work with customers and orders.

The administration screen should not be slow and if it is then that is where you need to look to fix.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Well, it's probably not slow with a DSL connection, but with 56k it's a painful way to work with a database, it seems to me. The information must be stored as 'text' somewhere and it would certainly be easier to deal with it that way, as simple text, than it is to constantly click those screens. That's the idea anyway. If anyone knows where it is, I'd sure appreciate it.

Hey, I'm on dialup (averaging around 49K) and it is not that bad for me.

The only place the customer and order information is stored as text is in the database itself.

To access the database directly, you will either need to access MySQL via the shell prompt or PHPMyAdmin.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Thanks Jim,

Realizing that you're talking to a novice at this, could you tell me how to access this database? I don't understand what you mean by 'shell prompt' or 'PHPmyadmin'. Is that a file somewhere? Maybe what I'm trying to do is impossible, but it sounds like there might be a way from what you say.

Thanks again for your help

Okay, to start with be aware that databases spread information among many tables. This is part of a process designed to prevent duplicating information.

Therefore, information about an order is stored in 6 different tables while information about a customer is stored in 2 different tables.

Since you are new, I definitely do not recommend accessing the database directly until you understand how osC works and the relations that each table has to the other.

To put it another way, one littly mistake can totally screw you.

Now that you have been warned -

PHPMyAdmin is a web application that is typically available through your server's control panel.

Since you are not familiar with shell access I will not discuss that form of access.

One last time just to make me feel better, use the admin pages instead of messing with the database! :wink:

If the performance of your site is bothering you, have you tried running a load test and GZip test?

Well, I now agree with you completely that I was barking up the wrong tree with this. I just didn't understand well enough how the system worked. I was picturing a nice, simple 'comma-separated' text-type database just sitting somewhere, but now I see it's much more complex. Now that I know this, I'll just forget the idea and deal with the speed problem by other means.

Thanks for clearing my mind on this, for your time and good advice.

Archived