• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Red Instead - please comment

JenRed

www.redinstead.com.au

I have asked for comments before in another thread here but that was about 6 weeks ago, when I thought it was "almost ready". Ahhh, how wrong I was. I am still working on it! :)

I have made stacks of changes since then so I hope nobody minds me starting a new thread.

I still have about half the products to add and am waiting on more images, though most are in. Besides that, I think I am almost done - so long as I don't find another mod I just have to have!

Please feel free to set up test accounts to see if things work, and let me know about problems or suggestions for functionality, looks etc.

Thanks heaps

Jen

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

I am on Cable modem and foud it slow so i did the load test

Loading test content results

Number of graphics/scripts: 36

Total graphics size: 93009 bytes

Total HTML size: 31843 bytes

Total page size: 124852 bytes

Load time by modem speed

Modem speed: Download time:

14.4k 75.48 seconds

28.8k 40.79 seconds

56k 23.77 seconds

ISDN (128k) 13.9 seconds

T1 (1.44 MB) 6.81 seconds

Warning!: Your loading time is too slow... You are risking search engine time out and loosing 40% of potential viewers!

You've just given me an idea of how to better present the different colors of appliances in my site. ^^

Unlike The_Bear, you site loads fine for me, but you best follow what The_Bear said than me. I'm on an unreliable DSL connection.

Right now, the only problem I see on your site is that the Click to Enlarge doesn't work. But that could just be with my computer.

Thanks for the link to the Load Test. They say on their site:

Speed matters...

When trying to index your web pages, certain engines will time out at 30 seconds... Result... No indexing! Additionally, loading time over 24 seconds looses 40% of potential viewers due to impatience!

So theoretically according to the results for my site, anything over 56 K modem (almost everyone?!?) is okay, as far as impatience goes. Yet you found it slow on cable?

All of my thumbnails and header images etc are around the 5K mark. I'm not sure what I can do to streamline? Any ideas will be welcomed. I also don't think it loads too slow but maybe I am too close to it. What do others think?

You've just given me an idea of how to better present the different colors of appliances in my site.

You mean the image of colours available? It was the best I could come up with. I just added them as HTML into the Product Description in Admin.

Right now, the only problem I see on your site is that the Click to Enlarge doesn't work. But that could just be with my computer.

It works fine here - anyone else not able to use it?

thanks for comments people. Anything else?

Jen

The Click to enlarge works fine here to

For the load test maybe your or mine ISP had a little hickcup cause the loading was fast this time :wink:

Regards

The_Bear

Compared to Amazon.com, your site loads quick as hell. Looks great too.

Loading time results for: http://www.amazon.com

Loading test content results

Number of graphics/scripts: 54

Total graphics size: 507708 bytes

Total HTML size: 51417 bytes

Total page size: 559125 bytes

Load time by modem speed

Modem speed: Download time:

14.4k 338.04 seconds

28.8k 182.66 seconds

56k 106.46 seconds

ISDN (128k) 62.26 seconds

T1 (1.44 MB) 30.51 seconds

Warning!: Your loading time is much too high! Your chances of indexing in major search engines is slim and you will find very few viewers willing to wait that long for any web page to load!... You must reduce the size of your page!

Hi Jen,

Loads fast for me too, and looks great. I think there's an error on Long Baby Overalls - Kitare 6 & 7 the wrong way round?

Personally I'd put bestsellers above customer info.

I like the way you've phrased your signup para. 'If this is your first visit, etc.' Very persuasively put!

Thanks for letting me know about the Cord Fabric Swatch (the 6 and 7 are around the wrong way) I never noticed that!

Compared to Amazon.com, your site loads quick as hell. Looks great too.

Dalaen, thanks for putting things in perspective! What a great idea to put amazon into that Load Test thing. It just goes to show... :)

thanks again

Jen

Wow! Lots of changes since your previous post. It looks great. Great job for all your hard work.

Load time is fine for me.

I agree that best sellers should be above customer info on the home page.

I love your create_account.php page. Did you make that or did you grab the code elsewhere? I'd love to use that.

Where did you get all the photos that you use? They look nice and not stock at all.

Great job! :D

Mark

Thanks Mark - yes a lot of changes since you first saw it. :)

I love your create_account.php page. Did you make that or did you grab the code elsewhere? I'd love to use that.

For the Login / Create Account page see this forum message:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31021

There is a problem I am having with it (see page 9 of that message above) but it is minor I guess - but still very annoying. But from all accounts having the page set up in that way saves a lot of people from leaving without signing up.

Sure you can use it - I posted my code on that topic above.

Where did you get all the photos that you use? They look nice and not stock at all.

Do you mean the kids? On the header, Accessories and Bedtime are my two boys and Sewing Kits is my neice, Resources is my best friend and the other kids in the header and in the rest of the site are taken from product images given to me by the company whose clothes I am distributing. They are just kids they know who they got to be models.

I am still to add all of my own clothing lines. Haven't taken the photos for mine yet!

Anyway thanks for the feedback peoples. Keep it coming! :) Anyone found any problems yet? With the way it is supposed to work or anything.

Jen

Much nicer !

Resources sounds much more professional and 'clickable'

Good luck with the site and have a break...you deserve it !

(and wait for the sales to hit the roof and then you'll be twice as busy

....but thats probably another story )

Best regards !

Ramesh

Special Effects / 3d + Flash

Good luck with the site and have a break...you deserve it !

Have a break??? I am having a baby in about 4 weeks... that's why I am working so hard now cos I won't be able to soon!

yes I know I am crazy... but I have my helpers sorted out for the next few months :)

Jen

Just wanted to say that:

THIS IS NOW A LIVE SITE - ALL ORDERS WILL BE PROCESSED AND BILLED.

Thanks for all your help and feedback. There are still a few things to do, but I think it's time! :)

Jen

Thanks for the nice comment!

For the categories dropdown, search and ye shall find:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,707

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,956

This is the one that I used:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,46

Jen

Hi Jen,

Are you using the main categories contribution? Did you find it straightforward to install? I'm trying to add it to my site & keep running into errors. Any tips? (assuming you haven't already gone into labour!)

tia

No I still have about 3 1/2 weeks to go. And desperately trying to get everything done! :)

Yes it is the Main Categories mod - I used a slightly modified version of this modified version of the code. I found it very easy.

Go here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...te+map&start=10

and about halfway down the page you will see a post that starts out like this:

These are the modifications that I made to includes/modules/main_categories.php to improve the layout

I also added a header image, using the same kind of code as for the Infobox Header Images.

Hope that helps

Jen

Archived