• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New store - Mosaic Accents - please critique

I'm working on a new store here. It's not complete and the products have not been uploaded yet. I simplified much of the functionality, and changed the layout a bit. Also, we haven't decided upon the lables for the categories, so the text that is there is just filler text.

Please take a look and provide input. I'm thinking about changing the layout of the product_info.php but haven't made up my mind yet.

All comments welcome.

It's not live. Orders will not be filled. CCs will not be charged. Feel free to create fake accounts and tell me how it works out. You can also tell me if you find any images that I neglected to update.

It's based on Ian's loaded v5 with a number of other mods.

Located here:

http://www.mosaic-accents.com/index.php

Thanks in advance for your input.

This is the second site that I have created with OSC (although the first one is still not live :( - still waiting for final input from the owner).

Mark

Hi.. it?s a nice site.. it?s great to found people who try to personalize osc.. i just one question..i hope you change the categories? name.. more frames.. even more frames.. that?s funny..

@footer

Pirvacy ---> Privacy

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

nice done!

but i would change the images behind the product pictures.

maybe let it be more equal? (i mean not mosaic behind them)

i do like it much in your footer.

and personally i would change the black to another color.

black makes me sad and not wanting to buy anything :wink:

good luck, zlack

It's easier to remember, then to forget

Thanks for the feedback.

Emilio - great catch on the misspelling.

but i would change the images behind the product pictures.

maybe let it be more equal?

Could you explain this more? I'm not sure what that means.

As for the black background, I'm going to play with other colors and to pass that feedback along to the shop owner. Do you think any dark background doesn't work well or just black? What if I stuck to a dark purple or dark tan?

thanks.

Mark

hi Mark

It's looking really great! I really like the way it has it's own personality - so different from standard OSC layout. It is really simplified and I think it works really well.

The branding of the site really needs to be stronger - I see the M up there on the top left but I forget what the company name is already. Except for the tiny copyright notice at the bottom of the page (Copyright ? 2003 Mosaic Accents) there is no mention of the name. I really think you need to make it much more of a presence.

It is probably because you still have to add content (you may be going to do this anyway) but I think that all pages should be the length of a "screen" so that it's not too jarring to the eye to have the coloured footer bar half way up the screen. eg. If there is only one link on the links page then add some <br> s to bring the footer down to the bottom of the page.

The posts above say that you had a black background (which I didn't see) it is now dark purple which doesn't quite work. The greens almost go with the purple but I'm not sure. I think the mosaic-y footer might need to be toned slightly differently to fit with the dark purple. It sounds like the client wants something dark but I think it would work really well with something much lighter - cream or beige and those greens would work really nicely. Peaceful. And you still need to change your "continue" etc buttons to match.

I don't think that the small text links (my account etc) sit well with the scripty font. I don't know where else they could go but maybe have a play.

I think to go with the streamlined, minimal feel you could lose some of the icon images eg. on the My Account page: Address Book, Order History, Notifications, Edit Account - I think they could all use a smaller font and lose the icons. Also on that page there is no continue button. But it couldn't fit with all those others anyway! :)

I created an Account and then added something to my Cart and it took me to the Login page. Shouldn't I be logged in after creating an account?

Your "Shipping Address" arrow (don't you think they are redundant?) needs to be redone for the green box it sits in.

Anyway it is looking really good. I hope some of that helps. :)

Jen

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

Wow. THanks for the input.

I'm finding one of the hardest things on this site for me is not being the original designer. I was given a design and asked to integrate it into a shopping cart. So, if I want to change the black background (which I just altered to purple) I need to make the change - but the owner and designer already made the black background decision. I'm not sure what I'll do for this.

Jen, you're right that the greenish and purple don't work well together. I am actually was just starting to create a new header with a more neutral color, but I decided to wait until I can present options to the owner - I don't want to do more work than necessary at this point. I may play around with a light background - but again - not until the owner says she'd consider it - I don't want to waste my time.

The short pages are currently due to the fact that I haven't inputted all the content yet.

I'm now using the Thema option which was installed with loaded v5. I really like it. I have purple as theme 1, black as theme 2. It really makes it easy to switch back and forth.

I think they could all use a smaller font and lose the icons.

Do you mean icons on the upper right?

I created an Account and then added something to my Cart and it took me to the Login page. Shouldn't I be logged in after creating an account?

I'm having problems with the server not always recognizing when someone just logged in. I'm not sure what to do about that. Did you log in again when it prompted you to? Did it show you the proper shopping cart?

Your "Shipping Address" arrow (don't you think they are redundant?) needs to be redone for the green box it sits in.

Good catch. I just made some simple white arrows for the time being.

I changed the site for the moment back to the black because the combo of the green and purple was making me slightly ill. :) .

Thanks for the input. I'm sure there will be more changes in the near future.

Quote:

I think they could all use a smaller font and lose the icons.

Do you mean icons on the upper right?

No I meant the icons in the buttons themselves. Especially with 4 on a page like that, it really is too much. And smaller font size for all buttons would work better I think.

I'm having problems with the server not always recognizing when someone just logged in. I'm not sure what to do about that. Did you log in again when it prompted you to? Did it show you the proper shopping cart?

Yes it did.

I could see that you have only just got your teeth into this one - looking good so far and looking forward to seeing what you do with it. :)

Jen

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

by saying "let it be more equal" i mean put one color behind those images instead of the mosaic.

makes it more attractive to look at i guess :)

good luck!

zlack

It's easier to remember, then to forget

by saying "let it be more equal" i mean put one color behind those images instead of the mosaic.

So you're saying to make the product images more colorful? Which images are you referring to when you write "those images"?

I just made a bunch more changes and will get feedback from my client. I created a 'thema' with a light cream background. I have not updated the upper right hand corner images to match that yet. I'll do that later. And I haven't changed the home page to match yet. Still a work in progress.

Always hearty thanks for your input. Any thoughts on my new light background?

Yea. I really like the light too. Sometimes you get on a certain track and you can't see what you've done until others it point out to you. Thanks.

As for products... I think I'll work on placing borders on the pop-up images. And I may work on the actual product photos - but that will be down the road a bit.

I'm now going to go outside and enjoy my lovely Saturday afternoon.

Mark

Archived