• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How and where do I add my "Meta Tag" on my pages?

andyhk

Hi, I have some simple questions that maybe someone could help me out.

Where do I add my Meta Tags? Outside the php command? :roll:

Do I need to add Meta Tags to every pages of my site? :roll:

Thank you.

You would add them in the <head></head> block just like on any other webpage. In OSC, this specifically looks like:

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">

</head>

You would only have to add them to the pages that you feel are necessary for your uses.

Another newbie question. :) Where do you put the "words, text conent" for the search engine spiders to index?

Thanks.

-Tuan

In the content of your pages. The spiders for every major search engine database (Google, FAST, Lycos, Teoma, Looksmart/Zeal, Alta Vista) disregard metatags due to previous abuse. Secondart search engines, like MSN, AOL, Hotbot, and even Yahoo, rely on results from the primary engines listed above. The directories like ODP, Yahoo and Looksmart are human editted so they will never see your meta tags anyway.

I have built sites with #1 and #2 rankings on Google with no metatags..

Wayne, any advice on getting those ranking up beside meta tags?

It will be very helpful since my site has less than 3 people per day! HAHAHA! :oops:

I'll write something up tomorrow. Actually, I had a long post written and accidently closed Mozilla instead of the tab that I wanted to close and lost it. After I sleep, I will be better able to recreate it in an article format and will post it here.

I'm looking forward to seeing that reply myself.... :D

Two things occurred to me looking this over....

Meta tags may have less relevance in search engines than they used to, but the title tag is significant and the description tag is often what people see in the output at the search engines. Good ranking is one thing, but you also want a coherent and appealing description so people will click. Agreed?

I am about one short work session into my OSCommerce experiements so I don't really know, but it appears to me there are HEAD tags in dozens of files. So not only metas, but javascript and otherthings routinely found in head tags would have to be edited in dozens of files. Yes? I'm wondering about doing this only once, and placing an include in each of these files, a tag that calls say "headinsert.txt" and in this text file keep the general metatags, javascript, etc. Has anyone done that, or have a better way to create head content that will call to every page.

Look forward to reading more on this subject of metas and more important site rankings....

Thanks

J

You might look at the Header Tags Controller and get the Admin for it in the same location.

This lets you put together specific META tags per product as well as different META tags on key pages.

I am also interested in settig that up.

Wayne wrote:

"

I'll write something up tomorrow. Actually, I had a long post written and accidently closed Mozilla instead of the tab that I wanted to close and lost it. After I sleep, I will be better able to recreate it in an article format and will post it here.

BG

Making the internet community better. Knowledge is power.

Linda, does the Header Tag Controller changes all the headers in all the pages? :)

Thank you.

Depending on how you set it up, yes. Each page can have unique META tags.

I have the default settings for all products, and then special settings for specific pages as well as a more general global setting for the rest of the pages.

Sorry this took so long to reply to. I got caught up in some over the weekend that couldn't be avoided.

Marketing and Promoting your website in order to improve search engine rankings.

Today's search engines are finicky beasts and tools and tricks that worked in the past do not work anymore. You cannot rely on meta tags in your HTML or link exchanges to bring good rankings about. Most search engines look at many things to make sure your site is worthy of their directory. Today, the pre-emininent search engine is Google. All others come in second, even Yahoo! shows Google search results before their own. The best thing you can do on Google is to build your page rank. Any page with a ranking of less than 4 doesn't even show in the results they present. This means that you need to increase your ranking to 4 or higher. The higher your page ranks, the higher its results so. The techniques for achieving pagerank are a lot different than the first or second generation search engines of past years. First, thing you need to know is your pagerank. If you are using Internet Explorer, download the Google toolbar at http://toolbar.google.com/. Make sure to accept the advanced features when it downloads. This is the easiest way to determine the page rank for your site. Now other sites don't use pagerank the same way but by optimizing your site for Google, you can increase your rankings in other search engines as well. Also since Google provides results to other search interfaces, you systematically increase your rankings across the board. Some of Googles partners include Yahoo!, AOL/Time Warner (includes AOL and Netscape searches), and Lycos. The same technologies that power Google are also used for Froogle, which is important to eCommerce sites.

When Google shows results, they only show sites with a page rank of 4 or higher. This means to even rank, you need a decent pagerank. Pageranks of 5 or 6 are considered average. Pageranks of 9 or 10 are very hard to get. In order to increase your pagerank there are some things you should and should not do. So let's talk about those.

The number one thing is to accept Googlebot. Once every month, Google released googlebots. There are quite a few of them and all they do is visit the 2.5 billion sites that Google has indexed. You want them to visit your site, you want them to spend time at your site and you want them to index your site. This frenzy is commonly called the Googledance and you want to encourage this. Several things will dissuade Googlebot from dancing through your site. These include Sessionids, requiring cookies to view the site and excluding bots through a robot.txt file. The biggest failing of OSC is the sessionid. These should be disregarded for anyone who is not a customer or has something in their cart. There are contributions available to control the Sessionids better for your store. Whatever you do, do not dissuade googlebot from your pages, even when it looks like there are 30 guests browsing your store and they are all googlebots.

With Google, the links leading to your page make it more important. You want to get listed in prominent link directories with high pageranks. The higher the pagerank of the referring site, the better it is for you. Text links work better than image based links and static links work better than dynamic ones. In order to maximize your pagerank, you need to come up with a consistant linking strategy. Instead of having some pages link to www.yourdomain.com and some link to yourdomain.com, make sure they all link to one or the other. The text you use is also important. Try and use 2 or 3 keywords in your link text. If your site is about antique watches, use that as your link text instead of "Watch Shop" because that is your site's name. Or you could use "antique watch shop" as your link text and get three keywords in there. Make sure this link text is also clear and consistant across different sites. If the site allows you to use a description, use the same one on every site you get a link on. Make sure these descriptions are about 250 characters, use plain language and are readable. Keyword density shouldn't be above 20% in the description.

You can also use your domain name and title tag to your advantage. Going back to the Watch Shop example. You will get a better ranking and more hits if your domain name is antiquewatch.com or antiquewatchshop.com instead of watchshop.com or even something unrelated. Your title tag should contain your keywords. Instead of "Watch Shop", it should read "Antique Watch - Rolex, Bulova, Suisse, Timex, Swatch". Here you are limited to about 54 characters so be judicious in your application.

Links to other sites on your pages are not specifically bad but can drain your pagerank. Place affiliate links, links to put items in the cart, and links to non-important pages within forms or use Javascript to handle linking. This constrains the bots to look at what is really important. If the link is truly superficial, then remove it completely. The higher the link is on your page, the more important it is considered. Stay away from "pagerank vampires". These include webrings, free counters, free services from sites like Bravenet and others. You want to keep the spiders on your page to get the pagerank up.

It is easier to get a better ranking with search engines, if your content appears before the navigations. Unfortunately, with the table-driven layout of OSC, this is not possible at this time. However with a CSS-Driven layout, you can place important content first and then reposition during the rendering of the page. This means your content is read before the spider starts following links. Your content should also be written as concisely and clearly as possible, this will enable the spider to "read" it properly according to its grammar rules and all the information to be processed correctly. Write in simple plain language with a goal towards readability, make sure your grammar is correct and your spelling is almost impeccable.

Getting Listed

--------------

To get listed on search engines these days, you have to have unique content. Make your descriptions of your products neat and orderly and be as unique as possible. You are striving for normal readable language. If your page is too keyword heavy, you will be penalized for it. In actually gaining the listing, do not use automated software. These are a waste of time and on some search engines will only get you banned. Submit your sites by hand and keep track of those submissions. One way of keeping track is to build a spreadsheet that tells what pages you submitted, where you submitted and what time you submitted them. You can include other information as well. If I get around to it, I will upload the one I use in MS-Excel format. Make sure your listings are neat and concise and consistant. Use the same descriptions on different search engines. List your sites in a particular order as well. A preferred order would be similar to:

Yahoo - Regional, Open Directory, Looksmart, Google, Teoma, FAST, Alta Vista, Lycos.

Things that will get you banned

-------------------------------

Doorway pages - Having multiple doorway pages on multiple domain names will get your site banned from most search engines. Don't do it.

Hidden Keywords - Placing keywords on your page and having them the same color as the background will get your banned. As spiders get more savvy, they can read CSS as well. So don't have display:none or visibility:hidden layers on your page with lots of content in them. This will get you banned. If need be, load the content and hide it later with Javascript.

Cloaking- Showing the page one way for spiders and another for people. You need to show the same to both. Cloaking will get you banned.

Now, I am not a search engine expert and learn new things everyday. Do your own research, look at the sites that get the rankings you want and see what they are doing correctly and incorrectly. Work to incorporate those things that work into your site. Make your site as easy to use and navigate as possible and continually work on your rankings. Building a profitable website is about 10% design and implementation and 90% promotion and marketing.

I should add that I get most of my information from:

www.sitepoint.com

www.clickz.com

www.searchengineworld.com

I used to be the Community Manager of SitePoint.com and their forums ranked #2 for the keywords "Webmaster Forums" on google with the #1 spot being held by a site that had those keywords in their domain name. To this day, both SitePointforums.com and SitePoint.com use minimal keywords and description Meta tags. SitePoint.com ranks #1 on Google for the keywords "Webmaster Resources".

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
You might look at the Header Tags Controller and get the Admin for it in the same location.

This lets you put together specific META tags per product as well as different META tags on key pages.

This is Nita Stern, signing in under my husband's name, just in the interest of full disclosure (he's out of town). I download the header tags controller, but don't quite understand how to install it. Can you help?

Thank you

Archived