• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Anyone else get this error when visiting my site?

Well, kinda. But now it just redirects them to the homepage which is now entirely secure as well. That doesn't work real well. No one wants to surf a site that's stuck in secure mode.

Any other ideas :(

Going to the SSL page is the idea here.

The next click after that you will not be SSL.

Sure thing. That was how ... way back in the beginning of time when I had those code changes that were not working for you on the SSL vs nonSSL pages you had issues.

Now, any time you get the Security Alert msg ... just edit that page and force it to go to 'SSL' page rather than ... the variable used on the redirect.

Thanks tons. I'm really psyched about that now.

But I'm still worried about this certificate installation thing...have I just set myself up for heartache by purchasing my certificate from Comodo instead of someplace like Verisign? Are most of my customers going to be prompted to install this thing because it's not already on their system?

Laura

hrmmm...maybe my husband's security settings at work are a lot higher? I don't know. I guess I'll just have to poll more people to see if they get that particular error.

You're awesome Linda! Thanks again!

Laura

Before ... when it was Invalid due to the WWW it had an option to install it. I just ignored that until you got it fixed with the WWW in the address so it matched right.

I think that was the whole issue and the wording was misleading because it was giving me an option to say ... "*Even* though they do not match, I know it's good so accept it"

ah...ok. So you HAD been getting it before I fixed the secure reference. In that case I'll have my husband check it at work again tomorrow and see if it's all fixed for him. Oh, I'll be so jazzed if it is!!!

On to sids now I guess :roll:

Laura

Simplest method for those SID issues is Burt's SID killer until you upgrade to the current snapshot which has a spider killer built in.

It's a quick change to the html_output.php file and voila ... you are done.

Just add new spiders as you find them. It's very effective.

Hmmm...I don't think I have that one downloaded.

I *did* try installing the from Henri Schmidhuber. But I can't tell if it works or not I'm afraid.

I tried running the sid sim at http://www.searchengineworld.com. Some links show up with sids, others don't.

The other one I'd downloaded was from Ian, I believe. Guess I'll have to hunting for the one you mention as being the best.

Laura

Thanks tons. I've implemented Burt's SidKiller now. I don't really know yet if it's working. The Sid sim at Searchengineworld is still showing sids, but the one at Webconfs only shows one sid and that's on the allprods link on the homepage. I'll have to figure that one out now.

Laura

Thanks tons. I've implemented Burt's SidKiller now. I don't really know yet if it's working. The Sid sim at Searchengineworld is still showing sids, but the one at Webconfs only shows one sid and that's on the allprods link on the homepage. I'll have to figure that one out now.

Laura

I haven't used the sid sim's you're talking about, but you might try this one that i use:

http://www.wannabrowser.com - for the user agent, you can type in whatever you want, like googlebot

Hi,

I ordered a SSL certificate for my site and 2 things occurred to me on ordering:

1. Windows 98/SE has a problem with root certificates. Even if the certificate is fine, it can still sometimes throw up an error. There is a fix for it on MS website. VERY annoying, as some customers will be using Win98.

2. If you ordered a 3yr SSL certificate, then this can also cause problems. For some reason, allegedly, MS only banked on people getting standard 2yr certs... of course back then, 2yr was standard. So, if you order a 3yr one, Windows can get all confused and give a warning to do with expiring dates etc.

I cancelled my 3yr cert and ordered a 2yr one... problem solved :)

• 3 months later...
Thanks tons. I'm really psyched about that now.

But I'm still worried about this certificate installation thing...have I just set myself up for heartache by purchasing my certificate from Comodo instead of someplace like Verisign? Are most of my customers going to be prompted to install this thing because it's not already on their system?

Laura

Laura,

Since you asked.....I am a hostmaster that was driven stark raving mad by comodo. The answer is YES YES YES you want verisign because around 1995 they did a deal with microsoft and their root cert is in every browser on earth because of it. This means they arent chained certificates - and they just work. Comodo uses the Baltimore or GTE root certificate and chains off that and its sometimes very problematic getting browsers to do the chaining without pop-ups. Once I switched to Verisign i had no problems at all. Verisign is very expensive. But, they check out your business license, etc, [note: Comodo is the only other one that actually does that - all the others are too cheap to be able to afford it] so you can put their seal on your site which raises customer trust, plus they have an insurance policy in case SSL leaks a CC#. If you are in The USA its really nice to work with them because they answer the phone, you can hear them on the phone too because its not via satellite, plus being in the USA means they have to actually obey US laws and back their promises. (not saying the others dont, but, in a pinch I sort of wonder how much recourse I might really have). The average CC fraud is said to be about $25,000 per incident.

No, I dont own stock in Verisign. I used to hate them because they owned Network Solutions who I still hate. But their certificate division is A-OK. HTH.

Archived