• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

import data from php based database administered by phpMyAdm

We already have built a extensive php based database with over 2000 items,with many catogories,subs,this database is administered by phpMyAdmin program,my guy who is working on this tells me it is very difficult to import all these item database to OC..?

I believe it is possible and must be short way of doing it.I am just trying to learn on this,so any links greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Try the EasyPopulate contribution, there's a new version out today. It supports the import of categories up to any depth now.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,500

The best place for documentation at present is here in the forums, the wiki project seems to have stagnated which is a real shame has it holds much potencial.

Once products have been imported they can be updated using phpmyadmin or the MyODBC driver and something like MS Access, see my tutorial at http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42580.

Did you get your database switch figured out?

Kim,we are still in research/test/try stage,at the same time we have pretty busy retail-service-internet business to run,working days and nights just to get online going so we can have internet orders taken care much easier.

Even my guy is computer programmer,still he has to read a lot about this..

So not yet.. hope maybe tonight or tomorrow..

Paulino, thanks for the links..I did not know there are more ways to import data..

Sam,

I have found the most important thing with the database is to make sure the data you are importing is in the correct format to match the tables you are importing it to.....I hope that made sense.....You can't fit a square peg in a round hole.... :D

Hello,

I am the person that's referred to as "my guy" by my boss. My boss was just trying to get some help to speed up the roll-out of our online shopping cart, but unfortunately he doesn't know anything about databases nor php nor programming. I still didn't have a chance to look at the structure of the database osCommerce uses. I just installed the osCommerce on our server, and configured it. I am pretty certain that the structure of the database I designed is not the same as the structure of osCommerce's, or there exists a program that magically transforms my database to osCommerce's. I wish there was such a universal program we can just tell what we want it to do and it does it! Since there is none yet, we, as programmers have to do this, and deal with other issues (I am sure, we, all are aware of what I am talking about ;-) ) None the less, I must say I am still amazed with the power of the php, MySQL, and above all the PUBLIC! :) Thank you for your answers so far, I might post couple of questions related to how to modify the code in order to suit our companies needs. Thnx again.

GT,

Welcome to OSC. It is a fantastic program and if you have the will power and persistance it can be virtually anything you want it to be.

For changing the database....the easiest way for me was to download the "old"db as a CSV and import it into a spread sheet. Rearrange the columns and rows to match the structure of OSC, rename everything to match OSC, save the new as CSV and upload it via phpmyadmin.

There are some basic docs at: http://wiki.oscommerce.com and some great tips and tricks in the T&T section of the forum. Have fun!!

Thank you for your prompt response. I will definetly try the method you've mentioned. To tell you honestly, I couldn't believe when I first saw that there is such a program like osCommerce on the internet developed by the public! I have indulged myself into the world of Linux, php, MySQL two years ago, started my own company using Linux server, designed pages with php and mysql. And only now I found osCommerce! You can be sure that I have the will power, and I would also ask an unrelated question, how can one start helping developing osCommerce and publish their contributions? Thnx.

but unfortunately he doesn't know anything about databases nor php nor programming. I still didn't have a chance to look at the structure of the database osCommerce uses.

I am learning.....rigth?..

To Penmark:Yes, you are learning. Knowledge is power.

Quick background info: our test store is located at http://gt.realvertex.com/osc/catalog

I have a question about broken image links. When I don't want to insert an image to a product, or category, I get a broken image link with the following path:

http://gt.realvertex.com/osc/catalog/images/

Is there something wrong with our configuration? Or do we have to insert a blank image?

Thnx.

G.T.

Admin>Configuration>Images>Require images turn to false...Leaving it on is usful while developing though.

I should have taken a look at what the problem was......You're having the images array problem......Sorry I can't remember the fix but if you do a search using *image array* (with the asterisks), you should get some results that will help.....It's not a big thing....

Archived