• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to Turn Off the Category Counts

BWtwoK

Ok the site is running slow and I have tried to do some optimization to speed it up but I still need it faster. We are moving to 1 gig of memory but I still need to get this site faster. I need to know if turning off category counts will help with this? Any Help would be appreciated.

Woody

It should save a little bit of calculation time, if I recall what I think Mattice had to say on the subject at some point (don't hold me to that though). There are other discussions in the various forums here about this subject. Might try searching for "optimization" or "page loading"...

You could keep it though, and turn on caching, though for the benefits of both. As long as you're not constantly changing your store database, it should speed your site up.

Ryan Thrash

So how do I turn this feature off. Is it in the control panel or in the config files.. Im trying to find it and cannot seem to.. Any direction would be great. I enabled Cache and that has helped along with removing the New products box from the default page which has helped speed it up.

Woody

You have an older version go to catalog/includes/application_top.php and around line 150

change

define('SHOW_COUNTS', false); // show category count: true=Yes False=No

HTH

The_Bear

Thank You soo very much. Man the site is alot faster now.. just upgrade some more memory and this thing will fly.. Should I update my software to the newest version and will I run into alot of problems doing so?

Woody

• 4 weeks later...

Archived