• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Total idiot needs help installing

ktbass

HI,

Sorry I'm a total newbie to this whole computer thing.

I've tried to download, I now have lots of folders on my computer but I dont seem to be able to do anything with them :?

I've had a look at the instalation instructions but most of the terms are going over my head :oops: What is FTP? Am I just too inexperienced with this to even bother. Is there any simple way of doing this.

Any advice apreciated! :wink:

Katie

West Glamorgan Real Nappy Network

www.happynappies.netfirms.com

FTP means File Transfer Protocol - you use it to get files from one machine to another. A popular FTP program is WS_FTP, but there are others. I use WinSCP.

I think that you are going to have a pretty tough and demoralising task trying to set up OSCommerce if you are a newbie to computers. I have a degree of experience, I am not an expert, but I find this challenging at times :roll:

Before you install the application, you are going to need to create a database. I use mySQL and have just learnt how to do this from the command line.

So, you will need to create a database, then you will need to FTP the files from your local machine to your server. The documentation at http://wiki.oscommerce.com/ explains this better than I can here.

Good luck

Archived