• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Use CSS/XHTML for templates (MS3)

rthrash

Wow...

It would have been even more impressive if they had it switching stylesheets without a visit back to the server like this

Well, true...but since there are so many of them, it makes sense to keep track of them all through a script. -my $.02

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am currently working on converting MS2.2.2 to CSS and have completed the product_details page, advanced search results and a couple of other pages. The amount of code removed buggers belief!!

Anyone attempting this needs their head examing!!! It has taken me A LONG TIME to get this far, and have come close to giving up on several occasions, esp. when it comes to dealing with Internet Explorer. I have no idea if IE7 is going to go in the face of Mozilla based browsers and still render divs differently (i.e. padding, margin, etc counts as being part of the width), and has greatly affecting my design.

Also, there is currently no working 3-column design that doesn't break when resizing the window to a small width. To get around this, I am using a fixed width (770px) design, modified from here: http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/css-3col-layout/ (a very good source).

As for backwards-compatibily, I have given up on that idea also. If anyone out there is using a browser a decade old, it is their own damn fault that they won't be able to view my site. I will probably end up putting a small broswer sniffer in the code (application_top) and have a redirect page pop up that has links to all the new broswers, esp. Mozilla. No hacks, no workarounds, just what works on browser now.

I am currently working on the checkout process...does anyone know or has combined the checkout_shipping.php and checkout_payment.php files, as it really bugs me that those two pages are seperate and makes an extra step in an already long checkout...ideally, something like officedepot.com or overstock.com's checkout would be good.

Just my 2c! :) I will be following this thread closely and would be glad to help in any way if I get any time.

The entire cart can be rendered via CSS and works VERY well as such, getting rid of boatloads of extra PHP, HTML and CSS code. The problem still lies in the frustrating reality of releasing said work into the wild, then getting stuck supporting it because it will inevitably conflict with whatever template system winds up in MS3 leading to incompatibility and a splintered code base...

Ryan Thrash

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Whining about CSS, you should ENCOURAGE contributors to develop good coding habits. It may be more difficult to START, but far EASIER to MAINTAIN.

Once you get it set up, it's easier to add, subtract, and customize if you have a clean seperation between presentation and logic. I worked on a project where this WAS NOT the case, and it was a pain.

Sweat now, to save sweating later.

Stop whining about learning curves. If newbies don't want to learn in order to contribute, then they probably shouldn't contribute... ;)

There is a reason why MVC is used in UI based apps, and a reason why it SHOULD be used for Web Apps as well.

It saves use from the spaghetti code found in most PHP apps, including this one.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm extremely interested in converting oscommerce to xhtml/css before version 3.0 is released. idle hands, you know. gazr are you still working on it? i'd love to help. has anyone else made any in-roads? anyone interested in collaborating?...

• 1 month later...

Almost there: http://www2.voimaharjoittelu.net/

As most of this is on client side you are welcomed to take a peek. The lack of flexibility in classes (core outputting presentational html) makes this impossible for some areas, but around 90% is manageable.

If you are on stock OSC, get the BTS contribution to save hundreds of hours on this.

"Use no way as way, have no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what the latest is on all this but I wanted to put out there that I would like to help on this. But I'm not really interested in helping with a fork of the code.

Archived