• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

changing/updating php/mysql code concerns

solardirect

I am in the process of creating a store shop.solardirect.com (comments welcome; not live yet). My concern is: I have been making changes to the php code and mysql structure to fit my needs. When newer versions of OSC become available, how will I be able to (easily) integrate these changes into it? Are there procedures I should be following now to make this easier? Also, I just noticed that "contributions" are availabe. Same question applies; if you add one, how do you upgrade to newer versions? If I have a need, is it best to just hack the code to make it work, or is their a benefit to using contributions (other than saving time)?

Also, did I miss something...I can not find any central documentation on OSC. Is it available, or does one just have to learn by trial and error?

Any comments welcome.

Kirk

Boom... Big butta boom.

The documentation is at http://wiki.oscommerce.com. When newer versions of osC come out I think you will have to merge your changes into it. I use BeyondCompare by www.scootersoftware.com to merge two similar source codes together.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

One thing else i can suggest:

I have a 'live site', and i have a 'dev' <test> site.

Anytime i want to integrate a new module or test new code, i copy my live site over to the dev site, and implement my module there. It gives me a chance to make sure it works properly, saving me from destroying my production site.

Just a helpful hint....i know for a fact some users here just install any old module without testing first, and have problems later on.

Archived