• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ftp in acsii mode -which files exactly?

Rodland

when uploading files from my computer to the server in ACSII mode my ftp tool (transmit) says that some files can be uploaded in acsii mode (.php, .html, etc) and others will be reformatted incorrectly and could be ruined. It says I should therefore select transfer mode AUTO and not ACSII (of course not BINARY).

Should I do this?

If I upload all the files in ACSII mode what will happen to the .jpeg and .gif image files? Should they not be uploaded in binary format?

Which files exactly need to be uploaded in ACSII format ?

CMR

Christian;

Most FTP tools, if they have an "AUTO" setting, will have a user interface which will allow the user to dictate which files will be sent in which mode. As a general rule, everything except graphics files (jpg, gif, pdf, etc.) and any other compiled binary (a .dat file for instance) should be sent in ASCII.

One way that I check if I'm uncertain is to view the file in a text viewer - if it looks like garbage when I view it, I transfer it as Binary - if it's readable text when viewed, I transfer it as ASCII. You do run a risk of corrupting Binary files if sent in ASCII.

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

Archived