• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

editing sign up form

ravenstarr

There are a couple of things I want to cut out of the sign up form, and was wondering if anyone here could tell me what files would need to be edited? Everything has been going well so far, just don't want to get into the wrong things. :-)

In addition, I also want to remove certain currencies and language choices from the list of options. How is this done? Didn't know if there was more too is than simply running through and deleting folders like "hebrew" from the system or if some other change needs to happen so far.

Thanks. :-)

Laura,

If you are using the current MS1 version, there are several fields in the sign up that can simply be turned off using the admin. Admin>Configuration>Customer Details.

To remove languages, you can delete them in the admin, also. Admin>Localization>Languages.

Just for curiousity's sake......where did you get your copy of the program? Hebrew is not one of the languages that comes in the stock installation.

I appear to be running an older version because I dont have the customer details options. As far as languages go (the Hebrew was just a name pulled out of the hat. It has a few oddballs in there though), that was a big "duh" stamp on my forehead. Life before coffee, not always the wisest of ideas. ;-)

I have no idea what version I am running, it was a built in script with the hosting service I have. How hard is it to upgrade to a newer version? It sounds like it would be much better than what I'm tinkering with now.

And before I ask anything else to stupid, I'm going to go drink some more coffee and do some reading. :-)

I'm just trying to rush through this all so quickly. The goal is to have this up and running fully by Monday. Just not quite there yet, but very close. Only minor tweaks left.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Ok, if you don'r have setting for the customer info in your admin...Look in the catalog/includes/application_top.php. You should find something like this:

// Control what fields of the customer table are used

define('ACCOUNT_GENDER', 'false');

define('ACCOUNT_DOB', 'false');

define('ACCOUNT_COMPANY', 'true');

define('ACCOUNT_SUBURB', 'true');

define('ACCOUNT_STATE', 'true');

Change any of those fields that you do not want to false to remove them from the form.

As far as upgrading goes......If you want to be done by Monday....It would depend on how far along you are now and how ambitious you're feeling. The basic install takes about 20 minutes. Adding products and customizing can take a while.

Well, that got some of the options taken care of. I still have the Newsletter and Fax number to cut out. I tried cutting it right out of the account_details but that just made things all kinds of a mess, so put it back. Trial and error and all. ;)

So, are you implying upgrading would require a complete reinstall starting from scratch? I've already got about 100 of the products entered. I'd really hate to have to start over again. :?

As far as everything else goes, I'm really close to having everything I want done. Figuring out how to alow free shipping in a particular city is about all I have left to do, and that one looks like its going to have to wait.

Thanks again! :D

Well, that got some of the options taken care of. I still have the Newsletter and Fax number to cut out. I tried cutting it right out of the account_details but that just made things all kinds of a mess, so put it back. Trial and error and all. ;)

I have a shop set up with an older snapshot and rather than try to remove "newsletter" I simply changed the language file and renamed it "updates"...and asked if the customer would like an occassional notice of new products and specials, since it is optional anyway it's not a big deal. The fax I just left because it too is optional.

So, are you implying upgrading would require a complete reinstall starting from scratch?

Yes, that is what I was implying.

I've already got about 100 of the products entered. I'd really hate to have to start over again. :?

As far as everything else goes, I'm really close to having everything I want done. Figuring out how to alow free shipping in a particular city is about all I have left to do, and that one looks like its going to have to wait.

Thanks again! :D

Archived