• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

mySQL 4.0 compatibility?

MGSteve

Hi, following an upgrade to mySQL 4.0.12, php 4.2.3 and Apache 1.3.27, OSC on my site now appears with this error most mornings.

1016 - Can't open file: 'whos_online.MYI'. (errno: 145)

delete from whos_online where time_last_click < '1051619446'

[TEP STOP]

It appears that the whos_online table is locked as php MySQL Admin says its 'in use'. The only way to fix it is to drop the table and recreate it.

I've had to do this 3 times now in 2 days, does anyone know what the cause is.

I dunno what version of OSC I've got as it doesn't bother to say anywhere, but its the snapshot from 9th December 2002.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, if the problem occured once then I'd have suspected that it simply got corrupted during the upgrade - problem is, it keeps happening.

Is the whos_online table locked in the code anywhere, as it appears it might not be unlocking it from time to time.

Obviously the upgrade to 4.0 has had an effect on this, it might of fixed a bug in mySQL which now raises a bug in OSC.

TIA

Steve.

The table is becomming corrupt each time that your host runs the automatic cpanel update. The probelm is that MySQL 4.0.12 is *officially* unstable, as per the MySQL dev team themselves. If you happen to be writing to the table at the time of the update, the table will become corrupt. People that havn't had this problem have not been writing to the table at the time of the update, or your host has disabled the automatic updates in cpanel.

The only surefire fix is for your host to roll back to MySQL v3.xx.

In the meantime, there is a thread in the Tips/Tricks forum that will email you when customers begin receiving this error. Because my host is unwilling to roll back to bersion 3.xx, I have implemented this Trick to email me when this occures. I also have it automatically drop and recreate the whos_online table every time a database error occurs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

4.0.12 is in production state ;)

and whats the cpanel update? Never heard of this.

Not sure what you mean by this, but 4.0.12 *is* most definatly unstable, and it will and has caused this very same problem for about 10% of everyone that uses it. Don't take my word for it though, go ask the MySQL dev team. That's where I found out.

The auto cpanel update is something that all host have to run if they use cpanel. Cpanel makes them update to the most recent versions of just about everything. Unfortunatly, this includes keeping current with the latest version of MySQL, which, as I said, *is* unstable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Not sure what you mean by this, but 4.0.12 *is* most definatly unstable, and it will and has caused this very same problem for about 10% of everyone that uses it. Don't take my word for it though, go ask the MySQL dev team. That's where I found out.

http://www.mysql.com/press/release_2003_10.html

The auto cpanel update is something that all host have to run if they use cpanel. Cpanel makes them update to the most recent versions of just about everything. Unfortunatly, this includes keeping current with the latest version of MySQL, which, as I said, *is* unstable.

Ok, i don't use this cpanel (when i update my servers i'll do it manually),

so i don't know anything with these issues.

And i think cpanel is not a mysql product (never found something on their site), so it's a bug in cpanel.

Well, unfortunatly, it seems to be a problem with MySQL and cpanel together.

Here's a lengthy thread between hosts, cpanel developers, MySQL developers, and shop owners. As you can see in those forums, there are thousands of prople complaining about the same thing. Lots of things have been tried, and no one has come up with a solution that works......other than rolling back to version 3.xx.

If your host uses capanel, and you are using MySQL 4.0.01, you are at risk of this happening to you. However, cpanel users that are using MySQL v 3.xx are not at risk. So it would seem to not be a probelm with cpanel exculsivly, but a problem with cpanel updates and MySQL v 4.0.01 specifically. Since the *vast* majority of hosts are using this configuration, this is causing a ton of problems.

BTW, just to summarize, the problem isn't with MySQL 4.0.12 inheriantly, but a problem with *updating* to MySQL v 4.0.12, which cpanel does everyday. Probably due to not locking down all permissions to the DB before the upgrade takes place. I don't know who wrote the update script, but that's what is probably at fault.

I supose it's wrong to say that MySQL v4.0.12 is unstable, but updating to it everyday is.

yeah, I only know because I have done exstensive research on the subject, because I kept having the problem, and no one could fix it.

I am actually in the process of switching hosts b/cause my current host is unwilling to roll back to v3.xx until the issue has been resolved.

Archived