• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

multiple vendors/drop shipping management

Elmo

Hi, I work with multiple vendors and I need drop shipping management program for advanced shipping and tax calculation capabilities. May I ask if anyone know any softwares that I can use with oscommerce? Basically I need a program for :

*Advanced shipping calculation: Automatically compute accurate shipping charges that take into account shipping rates from different drop-shippers and other rules.

*Advanced tax calculation: Automatically compute accurate tax charges that take into account tax rates from different drop-shippers and other rules.

I found this program at

http://www.monitus.com/realtime.htm

which looks very good but it's designed for Yahoo stores. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks very much in advance.

Best regards,

Elmo

• 3 weeks later...

I am currenty still setting up my store and faced a similar problem (with shipping, not tax). As a newbie, I had no clue how to fix it.

I ended up adding the item-specific shipping options/rates as a product attribute. It was labor-intensive to add 3 shipping rates (UPS Ground, 2-day air, and overnight) to each product, but it worked.

This method has the additional advantage of showing the customer the shipping charges during the shopping process (although I think there's a contrib that shows shipping in the shopping cart).

I guess the drawback is that tax would be calculated on the total (item plus shipping), which would not be good. Mmmm, I think I may need to investigate this...this may not be as good a solution as I thought! As I said, I'm still 'building' - but maybe it gives you some ideas.

Hi Carrie, I set it up such that the customers do not have to pay shipping if the total is more than $50.

May I ask if the item-per-shipping method that you're referring to is this one at

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ions,367/page,3 ?

I want to use that contribution too but the author of the contribution indicated that this module "cannot be used in conjunction with other shipping modules" and I already installed the state based shipping module at

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ions,818/page,3 so I am not sure if I can still install that item-per-shipping module.

May I ask if the item-per-shipping module is the only shipping module that you've added? I am wondering if we can use both.

Best regards,

Elmo

No, I didn't use that contribution. I thought that it would only hold one shipping rate per product, and I actually have 3 (depending on speed of delivery). I just used the product attribute feature available in admin (under catalog > products attributes) - I created one attribute (shipping option) that has three levels (UPS Ground, 2 Day, and Overnight), and applied it to each one of my products individually. It works as a price addition to the price of the product. (The feature is probably used most frequently for specifying size and color options.)

But as I mentioned, it might be a problem in my case when tax needs to be calculated. (I think it will calculate tax on the whole amount, including shipping).

Sorry, I can't help you with the shipping modules - I haven't had much luck with them. (I really wanted to set up three different table rates, but didn't know how, so I ended up using the attributes)

CarrieB,

I have the same problem of having a fixed rate of shipping for each product but each product has a different rate!

Can I look at your site to see how it looks. I used the product attributes to put in multiple sizes of each product. Which mean that if I used your method I would have to put in one size of each product and have three or four shipping options per item. -:(

I will not be happy to do this!

Thomas

No, I didn't use that contribution.  I thought that it would only hold one shipping rate per product, and I actually have 3 (depending on speed of delivery).  I just used the product attribute feature available in admin (under catalog > products attributes) - I created one attribute (shipping option) that has three levels (UPS Ground, 2 Day, and Overnight), and applied it to each one of my products individually.  It works as a price addition to the price of the product.  (The feature is probably used most frequently for specifying size and color options.)  

But as I mentioned, it might be a problem in my case when tax needs to be calculated. (I think it will calculate tax on the whole amount, including shipping).

Sorry, I can't help you with the shipping modules - I haven't had much luck with them.  (I really wanted to set up three different table rates, but didn't know how, so I ended up using the attributes)

Hi Carrie, thanks for your reply. I did not think about that hahaha. May I confirm if you have to disable all the shipping options in the admin panel in order to make it work?

May I ask by using the product attribute for shipping, what would the invoice (that would be sent via email to the customer automatically by the oscommerce script) look like? I mean would the filed for shipping be left blank on the invoice? Sorry if my question is stupid but I don't know what the default invoice looks like because I have not done a test order with my oscommerce store.

In your case, do the customers that're located in your state have to pay tax too?

Best regards,

Elmo

The mod takes over the ship by weight mod.

In this way I can set a specific shipping rate per item. I was about to give up on this system until I found that. I use various dropshippers too. So what I do is give each product a specific shipping rate that is quoted to me by the vender that I use for that product. Then I add any handling fees to the actual price of the product so that shipping is not too high.

The only draw back is that on every item the customer is charged a seperate shipping fee where as if the products they are ordering are from the same vender shipping would not be as high. Keeping this in mind I set up the discount mod and offered discounts based on % for mor then one item to counteract some of the extra shipping charges. This actually does two things. One it drops the shipping charges back down and second it gets people more excited that you are giving more discounts.

Thomas, my site is www.giftsthatdelight.com. It's under construction, and currently posts an error at the very end of checkout (I'm trying to add phone number to the delivery address - a topic on another thread!). But feel free to look around as it does have the shipping options listed for each product. Yes, I had to do this three times for each product :? but I thought it was worth it. (I'm having my doubts though b/c of the tax issue -see below)

Elmo, I did disable all shipping options in the admin panel. On the invoice, the shipping options are clearly stated for each product purchased (just like product size or color would be). It actually looks quite nice. (On your own site, you can add the product attribute to one product and then enable Check/Money Order and do a test purchase.)

I am still trying to figure out the tax issue. My products are gifts that you'd send to someone else, so it's not clear if the purchaser or the recipient pays the tax (depending on where they live). If I have to charge tax for some people in my state (PA), then this shipping attribute option will not work. :(

Fan4chevy, in that mod, can you have multiple shipping options per product? I have Ground, 2 Day, and Overnight for every product - the shipping charges are determined by product price, so in theory it could work if I had three table rates. (My shipping prices are set by the dropshipper...) I like your idea about the discount rates!

Thanks all!

Hi Charles, may I confirm if the mod that you're referring to in this thread is the one at

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ions,367/page,3 ?

Thanks!

The mod takes over the ship by weight mod.

In this way I can set a specific shipping rate per item. I was about to give up on this system until I found that.  I use various dropshippers too. So what I do is give each product a specific shipping rate that is quoted to me by the vender that I use for that product.  Then I add any handling fees to the actual price of the product so that shipping is not too high.

The only draw back is that on every item the customer is charged a seperate shipping fee where as if the products they are ordering are from the same vender shipping would not be as high. Keeping this in mind I set up the discount mod and offered discounts based on % for mor then one item to counteract some of the extra shipping charges. This actually does two things. One it drops the shipping charges back down and second it gets people more excited that you are giving more discounts.

Best regards,

Elmo

Hi Carrie, thanks for your reply. You mentioned that if you have to charge tax for some people in your state (PA), then this shipping attribute option will not work...may I ask why? Because I thought you can still set up the tax options in the admin panel eh? :)

I am wondering if some of your drop shippers charge tax depending on the shipping address (your customer's address) instead of the billing address (your company address in this case), then you can claim the tax credits from the govenment or get a tax exempt number or something like that (sorry I am not familiar with the legal issues so it's better to ask the government...actually I am very confused about the drop shipping businesses because some drop shippers charge tax depending on billing address and some charge tax depending on shipping address.)

Thomas, my site is www.giftsthatdelight.com.  It's under construction, and currently posts an error at the very end of checkout (I'm trying to add phone number to the delivery address - a topic on another thread!).  But feel free to look around as it does have the shipping options listed for each product.  Yes, I had to do this three times for each product  :? but I thought it was worth it.  (I'm having my doubts though b/c of the tax issue -see below)

Elmo, I did disable all shipping options in the admin panel.  On the invoice, the shipping options are clearly stated for each product purchased (just like product size or color would be).  It actually looks quite nice.  (On your own site, you can add the product attribute to one product and then enable Check/Money Order and do a test purchase.)

I am still trying to figure out the tax issue.  My products are gifts that you'd send to someone else, so it's not clear if the purchaser or the recipient pays the tax (depending on where they live).  If I have to charge tax for some people in my state (PA), then this shipping attribute option will not work. :(  

Fan4chevy, in that mod, can you have multiple shipping options  per product?  I have Ground, 2 Day, and Overnight for every product - the shipping charges are determined by product price, so in theory it could work if I had three table rates.  (My shipping prices are set by the dropshipper...)  I like your idea about the discount rates!

Thanks all!

Best regards,

Elmo

Yes that is the link to that shipping per item mod and it really is excellent. http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,367 I think this mod should be a standard mod included in oscommerce as it is in ,my opinion the most valiable shipping tool.

I am quite sure you can add some extra features for various types of shipping by installing the mod more than once and then changing a few variables to match your shipping cost. What I would do is go into contributions and post a question to the script creator or IM him for more details on it.

I am sure that very few people really use other forms of shipping very often though. Ground is by far the most popular shipping method.

Yes that is the link to that shipping per item mod and it really is excellent. http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,367  I think this mod should be a standard mod included in oscommerce as it is in ,my opinion the most valiable shipping tool.

I am quite sure you can add some extra features for various types of shipping by installing the mod more than once and then changing a few variables to match your shipping cost. What I would do is go into contributions and post a question to the script creator or IM him for more details on it.

I am sure that very few people really use other forms of shipping very often though.  Ground is by far the most popular shipping method.

P.S I think the shipping per item mod only replaces the shipping by "wieght" mod. I think you can still use other methods.

As a note whenever I setup mods or any changed files I back up for safety and I will name the new files like this: default.phpNEW so I know and then I leave the original file on the server and just name it default.phpX so that if the new one does not work I can delete the new default.php or what ever file it was that I changed and then rename the default.phpX back to default.php. I use default.php as an example here and file will work the same.

As a rule whenever you make any changes:

" Backup your entire site completely including the database."

Thomas

As a note whenever I setup mods or any changed files I back up for safety and I will name the new files like this:  default.phpNEW   so I know and then I leave the original file on the server and just name it default.phpX so that if the new one does not work I can delete the new default.php or what ever file it was that I changed and then rename the default.phpX back to default.php. I use default.php as an example here and file will work the same.

Thanks very much for the info! :)

May I confirm if I I already installed the state based shipping contribution, can I still install and use the shipping per product contribution at http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,367

by disabling the state based shipping contribution in the admin panel and enabling the shipping per product contribution only under shipping? Thanks.

Best regards,

Elmo

I really dont think you can use other shipping options with the per item shipping. I have tried turning on a few others to test and it appears that they dont show up. However, in my opinion if you are dealing with products that you do not stock and you use many vendors, I feel you will find that the shipping mod peritem is unbeatable. If this option was not available I would not be using oscommerce as it was high priority for me.

Hope this helps. If not you may want to send a pm to the creator of the mod as he would have definate answers.

Charles

You are welcome. Please post back what route you end up going on the shipping as I am interested to hear what you decide to do.

You probably already know this but there are few other really good mods liket he discount mod where cust gets discounts on orders and the gift voucher mod where customer can input a code for discount as well as purchase gif vouchers to send to another person for a gift.

Archived