The e-commerce.

Commercial Advertising

Brenden

Is this a good idea?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• yes
    • no

I know the is a topic with strong views on either side.

Some people would like a zero tolerance stance on advertising of any kind. This would include no links to non-osc sites in contributions, profiles and signatures. I believe this stance is taken in order to stop these forums from becoming a place of constant spam.

Some people would like to offer their oscommerce services to those seeking these services. These people include designers, developers, hosting companies and more.

I would like to propose the creation of a site (either independant or on the oscommerce.com domain) dedicated to these people. This site would contain a list of "oscommerce service certified provider"'s. Becoming one of these OSCPs would be based upon your contribution to the community. Your contribution would be evaluated monthy and can be attained by:

- a minimum monetary contribution

- a contribution to the contributions section

- a minimum number of posts helping those in the forums

- a professional level of service displayed in previous oscommerce related service

Failing to achieve the minimum contribution each month would result in your deletion from the OSCP list.

Upon the creating of the list only a link to the oscp list would be allowed as a "commercial link".

This site would contain sections: designers, hosts, others?.

Designer section would contain a profile and possibly a portfolio.

Host section would contain a graphic and a link.

Possibly a request for proposal section?

Why would this work?

It gives a venue for these people while ensuring the advancement of oscommerce.

Gives encentive for these people to give back to the community.

Why would this not work?

Ill leave this up to all those reading this post. I hope responces for why this will not work provide a reason why it wont work and a possible solution.

If you have an idea to enhance this proposal please reply aswell.

Perdure - Transparent Object Relational Persistence

This isn't a democracy, and this has been discussed to death in another forum.

Please don't get it started again, it only causes division and negative feelings.

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Just to note, no known contributions have appeared that are linked to the new Seeking Commercial Help forum - nor have there been an increase in donations (I've asked the team, this is not a personal statement).

How is that meant to "advance" osCommerce again?

:heart:, osCommerce

nor have there been an increase in donations (I've asked the team, this is not a personal statement).

If the person getting work from the "Commercial" Forum always donates per job anyway, then the core team member to whom he or she donates would not know that the donation has been made from work gained on these Forums.

Hope that makes sense.

Just to note, no known contributions have appeared that are linked to the new Seeking Commercial Help forum - nor have there been an increase in donations (I've asked the team, this is not a personal statement).

How is that meant to "advance" osCommerce again?

The proposal above is meant to reverse that situation so that there are contributions linked to commercial service providers and so that there is an increase in donations from commercial service providers.

Scenario 1

Oscommerce user comes to the board and asks "Can someone give me a link to a host that oscommerce will work on?". Forum member gives a link to the list of host's who have given the minimum donation that month and who meet osc hosting requirements.

Why would hosts give the minimum donation to be on the list? So customers would be sent to them and purchase an account.

How would this advance oscommerce? If a minimum dontation per month(say $25) coming from a service provider is included in your definintion of "advancing oscommerce" then this would apply.

Scenario 2

Oscommerce user comes to the board and asks "Can someone design a site for me using oscommerce?". Forum member gives a link to the list of designers who have given the minimum dontaion that month or added a minimum sized contribution that month.

Why would designers give that minimum? So customers would be sent to them and use their services.

How would this advance oscommerce? Same as above and if your definition of advancement includes more contributions.

I dont know if this will work. I dont know if this solution fits the philosophy of oscommerce but I just wanted to throw it out there as a possible solution.

It will never work. Most the people here are such Open Source diehards that it gives the movement a bad name. Personally, I haven't participated in the Commercial Solicitations forum even though I could probably fulfill every request in there within an afternoon. However, I live in a free society and will not be dictated to where my money goes. If the team wants to earn money off of OSC, they should pay for it or accept what donations they do give.

I, personally, have pledged several times to make a quite sizable donation if and when 2.2 gets released as a stable version. However, I have been waiting 2 years now and the release still isn't in site. It is getting to the point where I am getting ready to take my $500 and purchase X-Cart. At least they are upfront about charging money.

It will never work. Most the people here are such Open Source diehards that it gives the movement a bad name. Personally, I haven't participated in the Commercial Solicitations forum even though I could probably fulfill every request in there within an afternoon. However, I live in a free society and will not be dictated to where my money goes. If the team wants to earn money off of OSC, they should pay for it or accept what donations they do give.

I, personally, have pledged several times to make a quite sizable donation if and when 2.2 gets released as a stable version. However, I have been waiting 2 years now and the release still isn't in site. It is getting to the point where I am getting ready to take my $500 and purchase X-Cart. At least they are upfront about charging money.

Now you have the choice:

1) Wait for 2.2 (you've been doing so for two years)

2) Migrate to X-Cart

3) Help with the development of 2.2 (you can probably do amazing things in an afternoon as you noted above)

Email me if you choose 3 :)

If you choose 2 due to this reply, sorry I don't mean to be rude or sarcastic, I'm just confirming your options.

Hi all,

I would like to propose the creation of a site (either independant or on the oscommerce.com domain) dedicated to these people. This site would contain a list of "oscommerce service certified provider"'s. Becoming one of these OSCPs would be based upon your contribution to the community. Your contribution would be evaluated monthy and can be attained by:

- a minimum monetary contribution

- a contribution to the contributions section

- a professional level of service displayed in previous oscommerce related service

Great idea, I am doing just this for consultants and others to post on without the limitations OSC has placed in here....The forums are for information exchanges.....I personally do not see the problem of people linking to their sites.....If this is supposed to be a help forum, might it not help others who need specific resources not provided by the osc team?

It is a needed service for people...so I am going to provide it...

Now you have the choice:

1) Wait for 2.2 (you've been doing so for two years)

2) Migrate to X-Cart

3) Help with the development of 2.2 (you can probably do amazing things in an afternoon as you noted above)

Email me if you choose 3

and maybe Harald will get back to you ....maybe he will not....I have offered my services to yourself Harald and you have never gotten back to me ever...either in a positive way or negitive way.....hmmmm....did they get lost??

If you want to work on a proposal, go for it.

Similar to the extension of the live shops directory (ala Froogle), whatever solution is made will have to be under our control (domain-, solution-, .. wise).

If you want this under your control, good luck....this is a Open Source solution, you have made it so.....If you mean that you would think on having something like this on your site great...

This does not preclude others from doing the same.....might be a way to network and have others link to these sites and make it better for everyone to help achieve their goals...

anyways.....more 2 cents....

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

I am not sure if the Core Development Team and I am heading in the same direction. As an example of what I mean, take a look at the following screenshots from the Admin Control Panel that I am rewriting. If I have to release it under another name, then I will but I need something that is fast and light without relying on complex nested tables and outdated HTML conscripts. In the screenshots shown, everything is based on a CSS Layout with minimal use of tables and in just the Categories/Products section alone, there have been a lot of code changes so that it is more fitting for what I need. So far, it should work with the default database with a few modifications but I don't think it will stay that way for long once I start integrating other things on my todo list like barcode generation, gift certificates, shareable wishlists, PDA synchronization for Inventory Purposes, Smarty based templates assignable to individual categories, mini-store browsing and a lot more.

Really don't want to switch as a lot of work has been going into this new system so that we can do Point of Sale, Telephone Sales, Layaway and Web Sales all with one package.

I am hoping to release some of my modifications as contributions and will make the complete code available eventually on my site.

The screenshots:

http://www.metaquark.com/metacommerce/scre...screenshot1.jpg

http://www.metaquark.com/metacommerce/scre...screenshot2.jpg

http://www.metaquark.com/metacommerce/scre...screenshot3.jpg

If you feel there might be some value from some of my projects to the core team, please let me know.

If you want to work on a proposal, go for it.

Similar to the extension of the live shops directory (ala Froogle), whatever solution is made will have to be under our control (domain-, solution-, .. wise).

Not to BMC... BUT...

1) If I wish to set up a site where people of common interest can advertise their stores (or their services) and it's related to OSC, there isn't all that much you can do to stop me

2) "under our control" is not embracing OpenSource. If I was to take MS1 and create a version with a number of my components and others and call it say... OSC-Loaded VI and then give it away on my site, there really isn't all that much that the core team can say about me doing that. Sure they could BMC about a "varient" line, but that's about all.

Based on one thread there is a "failing" of those using LiveShops. Some want a community location where they can put up their stores and get visability for what they have done. Also, if the store quality is up, these same people would benefit from everyone linking back to the site and cross-polinating (we already share ideas, why not customers?)

Based on this thread, there seems to be a desire to create a directory of people that service OSC, as developers, providers, etc. Again, having this resource is a "good thing" as it shows that the community is developing commercially. Having a great opensource product is a wonderful thing, but it's even better when there is a technical community out there promoting it and working to create a higher visability for the product.

Imagine how far PHP would have spread if php.net (The Apache Group) demanded that they had control over things (besides the development path).

Not to rant, but you've got a tiger by the tail, and sounding like the Bush Administration ("we must control everything being said") isn't how to exploit the great work you and the core team (and the contributors) have done and see it grow.

That's just my opinion. I may be wrong.

sounding like the Bush Administration ("we must control everything being said")
Random cheap shot. Makes me proud to be a Californian. :sarcasm:

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

Definitely seems like something to consider but I see somewhat of a problem with the two things below.

A minimum number of posts is easy, head on over to General Chit-Chat. Who would be the judge on the quality of service? Some sort of rating system or something like ebay has?

If every member of this board donated $1 to the dev team, that would be over $11,000.00. Don't you think this cart is worth at least a $1????

Definitely seems like something to consider but I see somewhat of a problem with the two things below.

A minimum number of posts is easy, head on over to General Chit-Chat. Who would be the judge on the quality of service? Some sort of rating system or something like ebay has?

The thought behind this was to get experienced people giving more support in the forums by giving some incentive. But you're right, the time involved in maintaining this may not justify the gains.

The thought behind this was to get qualified service providers. Recommending poor service providers is not something I see oscommerce wanting to do. Basically I look at this as a disclaimer so that if someone complains about this service provided the provider can be removed from the list. This will be reworded and explained better in the final proposal.

Wayne, you dont need a special invitation to use the Contributions section :) If something more longterm is wanted, then email us.

JM, you wrote in your posting so I don't need to clear that. As I said, we are not controlling osCommerce the solution, just the name.

If you want to fork the project to JMShop and have JMShop Directory, by all means go ahead.

Before anything can be done a plan for a working system is needed. If no one wants to work on a proposal for osCommerce, but work for themselves only then there'll be X number of "directory" sites out there.

Archived