• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Email "notices"

One of our osCommerce sites just forwarded a complaint to me regarding an unsolicited email their end user received. The content of the email was the text defined in "includes/languages/english/create_account_process.php".

How do we prevent that email from going out? Does every new account receive that email?

In the Admin section, under Configuration, under E-Mail options, there is a setting called simply "Send E-Mails" which can be toggled true or false.

Exactly what emails are those? Would turing this off turn off the email described above? What about order confirmation emails, would they be affected as well?

Thanks in advance for any informaiton.

kn

The setting affects all email. Afaik the welcoming mail is the only unsollicited email in the system.

The customers controls whether newsletters are welcome.

The site-admin decides if order-status-updates should be emailed to the customer.

Greetings from Marcel

|Current version|Documentation|Contributions|

Thanks for the info. We've removed the newsletter option completely from the customer info page. Hopefully the default is no newsletters as we don't give people the option at all.

I really wish there were no unsolicited emails at all, especially one we can't turn off.

thanks,

So somebody complained that they got an email confirming that they signed up?

I get concerned if I *don't* get a confirmation email after signing up for something. It's usually an indication that my email address contained a typo or that there is some other problem.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I think disabling the sign-up confirmation email is a potentially bad idea.

Have you ever gotten any help from these forums? Be part of the community and help out by answering a question or 2.

Pass on what you know about OSC to someone who needs help.

So somebody complained that they got an email confirming that they signed up?

I get concerned if I *don't* get a confirmation email after signing up for something. It's usually an indication that my email address contained a typo or that there is some other problem.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I think disabling the sign-up confirmation email is a potentially bad idea.

I'm with you Gary......I'm ALWAYS concerned whne i dont get a sign up email. In fact, I think ALL account holding websites SHOULD send a welcome email....it'd only be considerate. :)

I agree. It would not be a good idea to turn off account confirmation emails. And I think just about all online shoppers would agree. This one person had a problem with receiving a message he perceived as unsolicited marketing.

All it consisted of was the default confirmation message which describes (osCommerce) features of the site. Go figure, huh. I didn't see any marketing of products in there. Anyway, we've reworded the confirmation message to just thank them for signing on and assuring them that we regard their personal information as sacrosanct.

Thanks for the comments. I really like osCommerce and I like these forums. Nice.

kn

Archived