• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hello! Can someone help me review my store?

geobaby

I am in the process of setting up a store for expatriate parents in Hong Kong, who want to purchase hard to find products. Its a small business venture that me and my wife have been toying with, after our son was born.

I'm not much of a programmer .. more of a fixer.

Could some of you gurus help me by taking a look at the site and pointing out any obvious problems we may encounter?

The site is pretty much unmodified, except for the Worldpay module which has been installed in test mode, and the addition of a "street_address2" field to take into account places which have long street addresses (like Hong Kong).

The store is linked in my profile. I'm not posting it here as I'm a bit clueless about the policies. :)

Regards,

Shri

----------------------------

Baby Books and DVDS shop for Hong Kong

Hi Shri!

Welcome to osCommerce!

You have a good start on setting up your shop. Your logo is darling! I would suggest that you change the stock colors of the rest of the site to match the logo more closely. You have a lot of unused space in the header that could be put to use....Perhaps a collage of happy children?

I took a look at some of your product descriptions and they are great! Good descriptions are always a help when buying on the net.

Have fun!

Your logo is pretty sharp.

Your product images are looking good.

Category images need cleaning up.

Then you want to jazz up the look a bit. This can be done with the stylesheet.php working with various color combinations, background images etc. to help eliminate that canned look that you have right now.

Keep up the good work! :D

Thanks for the comments.

1) I'm going to use the header to advertise products within the site.

2) We're using descriptions provided by the video manufacturers.

3) Logo was designed by coolbabygraphics.com ... they're awesome!

I'll take a look at stylesheet.php .... I agree, I need to tweak the colors a little bit.

Any other mods that you folks think I should be using? I just added easypopulate, while its a bit random at times, it works with 99% accuracy, which is fine with me for now.

Nice store - When I was a kid Sesame Street was my favourite program !

q: Business - Why include buy from (some other company ) ?

I had saw that one item was a few dollers cheaper than in your store.

Wont customers rather go direct to them ?

(They are a massive online store so can offer a good price )

is your affiliate /profit margin from amazon the same as your margin in your own store ? If it is less it makes no sense to show another retailer.

I might click-through and purchase (which gives you your commision)

but then Someon may have to see their children /answer the door and leave your store.

Later in the day they may try agan but going directly to Amazon.

(Which means you get nothing )

Just my thoughts and personal opinions.

Special Effects / 3d + Flash

Ramesh,

We're currently going to ship within Hong Kong and this will remain the case for the next few months. Our site ( www.geobaby.com ) gets a fair amount of traffic from wide audience across the world. Why not make some money of them while we can?

The "few dollars cheaper" factor does not come into play when overseas shipping from Amazon is factored in.

Second thing.. having the Amazon affiliate link there allows me to use the reviews, something which will boost the sales within Hong Kong, as I definately don't have the time to sit around and review 150-200 DVDS.

We will also be adding toys -- which we definately know Amazon does not ship overseas and is not worth for overseas stores to ship to the US.

Regards,

Shri

P.S.

Archived