• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OSCommerce Images - manual sizes for images?

Hi,

I have come across a problem while setting up OSCommerce for my E-Commerce website.

Am I right in assuming all images are set to a default size as defined in the administration module? This is very annoying as many of the images I have put onto the site appear skewed or of very poor quality.

Due to the nature of our products it would be nice to have the option of manually controlling the size of the image that is displayed e.g. a large special offer image on the first page with usual standard images that appear on the site.

What I would like to do is to add some extra options in the administration module under the images configuration. As standard you can set the small image width and height, does someone know how I can code in two options that would allow me to define a medium image size and a large image size so I can have three size options to choose from?

I am a novice in PHP but I'm not scared easily so source code examples are welcome.

If this option is not available then it should be as this severly restricts the presentation of OSCommerce.

Thanks in advance,

Taz

www.dappamobiles.com

www.rnasolutions.co.uk

---------------------------

"if life was open source there would be no wars"

I think if you set either the height or the width but not both to 0 in the admin then the images will be shrunk keeping the original aspect ratio so that they will look right.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

Orchard,

Thanks for the tip - I worked out a way to show images as intended, I set every image paramater to 0 (width, height etc) and this allowed me to use images of any size.

This is preferred to the default settings as I am creating image sets of a set size in photoshop, with the image controls switched off I can manually define the size of images and increase the size of images if required.

All I need now is to get something like MoPics/Dynamic MoPics to work so I can have different image sets for each product.

I still think the developers should add the feature in the admin section so people can define small, medium and large image sizes as well as image sets, this is very important with products such as clothes and digital equipment.

Thanks again,

Taz

www.dappamobiles.com

www.rnasolutions.co.uk

• 1 month later...
I think if you set either the height or the width but not both to 0 in the admin then the images will be shrunk keeping the original aspect ratio so that they will look right.

meToo Thanks for the sizing tip.

Is there a way to set the image quality parameters as a % ? The images in myStore seem to be ..umm.. 75% or so of the original image quality.

THANKS in Advance !! :D

What do you mean by image quality and how are you measuring it in percent? I think the images are displayed just like you upload them, but they have to be shrunk for the thumbnails. It helps if the original image is an integer multiple of the size you pick as your thumbnail size. For example to shrink an image by 2:1, the computer can replace each 2x2 pixels with 1 pixel. It gets more tricky when it's not an integer ratio and you can see edge effects in the resulting images.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

What do you mean by image quality and how are you measuring it in percent? I think the images are displayed just like you upload them, but they have to be shrunk for the thumbnails. It helps if the original image is an integer multiple of the size you pick as your thumbnail size. For example to shrink an image by 2:1, the computer can replace each 2x2 pixels with 1 pixel. It gets more tricky when it's not an integer ratio and you can see edge effects in the resulting images.

I have a separate German image gallery (4images - 4hompages.de) using GD. Their config has "thumbnail quality" setting as a percentage of the original's quality. I was thinking that osC has a similar setting, but (being new to osC) I just couldn't find it :shock:

No matter. I did learn about setting the width to 0 to maintain aspect ratio and your 2:1 tip is also very useful.

Thanks again.

Archived