• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

category descriptions help

seanpaul

Hi all,

I have added the mod categories_description_1.1, which is great but what I really want to do is have the category descriptions show up in sub sections rather than at the top of the product listing. So as when someone clicks a section the various subsections appear with an image name and description.

Has anyone out there managed this or seen a contribution that might help me.

Thanx in advance

I wrote the Category Descriptions mod, and your request would be a useful and logical extension to it. Unfortunately, right now I'm very busy on a programming contract to be able to put much time into it, or even get the mod working with the latest snapshot.

If someone has made such an extension to OSC, and is willing to share it with me, I'd be happy to receive your mod and roll it into my own.

Looking for a computer consultant in Winnipeg, Manitoba? Visit my web site at www.groupbcl.ca

Hi all,

I have added the mod categories_description_1.1, which is great but what I really want to do is have the category descriptions show up in sub sections rather than at the top of the product listing. So as when someone clicks a section the various subsections appear with an image name and description.

Has anyone out there managed this or seen a contribution that might help me.

Thanx in advance

I am not sure if I am missing what you are saying or have what you need. I also forget if this is a straight install or modifications I made using various solutions for the category descriptions.

I had my own rendition of this .. then Ian had one and Brian ... not sure if anyone else did off hand.

Peek here:

http://www.8thoctave.com/osc_freecall

And flip through the Test Category Depth. I can have descriptions on any level, including the final level where the products show.

I do not have descriptions in all categories. Just a few I was playing with.

I can have descriptions on any level, including the final level where the products show.

I took a look, and thats almost what I meant, although the descriptions are not subcategory specific on your example, what I mean is that you have one description with all subcategories listed below, I would like each subcatogery to have a description of its own.

I would be interested in how you achieved this though, maybe I could tweak what you have to my own ends.

Thanx

Are you saying when you click say DVD you want a description for each sub to show? Or only after you click the subcategory do you want the description?

Example: The Test Category Depth shows a description each level down including on the page where you finally get to products.

If you want the subs to have descriptions such as:

DVD ... where do you want to see this description?

Hi,

Ok I have prettty much cracked it. what I wanted to do was to display a subcatagory description when you clicked on a cataogory, so when you click a catagory all the sub section would show up with an image and a description.

I did it by mofifying in phpmyadmin the 'Category Heading Title' field changing it to text. This allowed me to enter large subcatagory descriptions which would appear at the top of the page.

Its not ideal but its better than nothink.

:D

There is a mod called additional_info.zip that adds descriptions to categories and manufacturers. It does so without changing any of the standard tables too.

What additional_info.zip does is add a category description to the product page - which sounds much like what Category Description does. However, it is easily extendable to allow category descriptions at the category level too (different descriptions even).

I just extended that mod myself in about an hour (including understanding how it works). I'll pass the mod back to the author and see if it can get included. In the meantime, if you like I can make my altered files available (unsupported though. Until osCommerce gets a plug-in architecture, every contribution is in effect a hack of core scripts, so support is a nightmare).

-- JJ

• 2 weeks later...
Linda

You're category decription mod looks perfect.

Where can I get your contribution for the category descriptions?  Can I put html code in it?

Mine is a combination of several contributions and peices and parts of my own.

I do not have this seperated from the Shoppe Enhancement Controller but you could probable grab the code out of that if you cannot get the exsiting Categories Description contribution to work the way you'd like it to.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I've looked at Brians version, but I'm using an April snapshot and there seems to be many references to tep_get_uploaded_file which I believe has now been replaced with the upload() function?

I'm not hot enough to rewrite that side of it.

Del

• 3 weeks later...

Linda,

I agree with delishus, the cat description mod is perfect. I wish you'd seperate it from SEC1.0 :wink:

SEC looks great but has way more functions than I need, and would probably cause me more work disabling/turning things off!

I am using a snapshot from 5/6/03. Do you suggest I could download SEC1.0b and try to get the code from there to seperate out the cat description?

Unfortunately I'm having trouble with the contribution delishus tried.

Even if you can't help me here I want to say Thanks for all your great contributions!

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Archived