• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Anything Non Google Friendly?

:?: I'm using a snapshot from november, and i've installed quite a few contributions to my site. Am i right in thinking it will be a real pain to upgrade to MS1? If i'm wrong is there any documention on it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:?: I'm using a snapshot from november, and i've installed quite a few contributions to my site. Am i right in thinking it will be a real pain to upgrade to MS1?

I would have to say "Yep, most defnitely. A hernia will be more enjoyable than upgrading. :)"

If i'm wrong is there any documention on it?

The documentation would only cover a standard site and would not provide any information on the contributions that you have.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

I would have to say "Yep, most defnitely. A hernia will be more enjoyable than upgrading.

OWIE!!! But, you are right.

Fryer.....My suggestion would be .......If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wait a while longer, things will be bigger and better down the road.

I did a major upgrade a few months ago......I changed from an early 2.2 to a late summer version and I probably took 2 months to complete it. I also redesigned the whole thing while I was at it..... :D I won't be doing it again until the stable release is debugged and all the contributions I want are done....Probably be sometime in 2005...... :lol:

i was thinking kinda thinking that, and recently all the little nagging problems i've had a are fixed.. :)

2005? just imagine it, oscommerce by then will be the most powerful shop-in-a-box in world!:D (i think)

Hey Kim...

Yes I added the line, And I uploaded the files into the /includes/ and /includes/functions directories.

Then I tried in my browser to go to the config page shown above, and get a 404 error.

Any Ideas?

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Oh......I guess I never tried that........I think you're supposed to just look at the file in your favorite php editor . :)

Doesn't look like it's working....

I'm getting URL's with some session ID's.

/about.htm?osCsid=0ba1cc30c4e2cc8c057819b920c673e9

/catalog/index.html?osCsid=0ba1cc30c4e2cc8c057819b920c673e9

/contact.htm?osCsid=0ba1cc30c4e2cc8c057819b920c673e9

/default.php?osCsid=0ba1cc30c4e2cc8c057819b920c673e9

All except one are coming from my header page which has links to non osC static pages. Some urls don't have the ID's...should they if the spiderKiller wasn't there?

/shop/account.php

/shop/shopping_cart.php

/shop/checkout_payment.php

/shop/account.php

/shop/shopping_cart.php

/shop/checkout_payment.php

/shop/default.php?cPath=28

/shop/advanced_search.php

/shop/login.php

/shop/create_account.php

http://oscommerce.com

http://www.oscommerce.com

http://www.oscommerce.com

/shop/redirect.php?action=banner&goto=1

All assistance is GREATLY appreciated! :D

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Well... I found part of my problem, and a resolution.

I found the links that kept the Session ID's were static page links I had placed in the header, and one other link to default.php which must be in one of the includes.

To correct the static links I changed the link from a absolute link like /about.htm to a full link http://www.mydomain.com/about.htm

That fixed it for that. But I never did find the default.php link....

SOOOoooooo...

I search the forum and found this...

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36577

I tried it and it worked. Now no links have the SID appended when crawled by the spiders.

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

are you referring to the first posting in that topic? sorry, i'm being lazy... its 20 to 6am here... still havn't slept! :shock:

So, after reading this thread, I'm now confused.

If I don't install any Spider-related contributions, will Google spider my site?

And if I do want to install one, Burt's is the best, even though Burt himself doesn't recommend that people use it?

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Yes... Google and others will still spider the site.

The problem is the links it captures contain Session IS WITHIN the url it crawls.

Being new to osCommerce, I am not sure if that will give a 404 error, or just make funky urls in google...or cause a problem with the cart when someone goes to that page.

There are a few sid or spider killers. The one I think the writer had changed his mind on, and recommended not to use was Ians spiderkiller. (Unless Ian and burt are the same person!) I'm new here!

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

And if I do want to install one, Burt's is the best, even though Burt himself doesn't recommend that people use it?

I would recommend my own version above any others, as I know for sure it works - I've not tried any others - I do know that Ian's version (which is much better in theory) is fatally flawed (in practice).

Being new to osCommerce, I am not sure if that will give a 404 error, or just make funky urls in google...or cause a problem with the cart when someone goes to that page.

An actual page will be served up and will typically be another customer's session. You will have access to that user's personal information (address book, previous orders, etc.), which is not good.

Yes, the name spider killer is deceiving since the spider is not being killed but detoured. Google and all of the other spider sites will still crawl your site. They just will not be allowed to access any of the pages that create session ID's (checkout pages, account pages, etc.) which you would not want listed anyway.

Not to blow his ego up any larger than it already is, Burt?s spider killer is indeed the best.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Thanks for clarifying all that, Daemonj.

So, basically, I don't really NEED it in order to get Google to spider me.

OK, so I guess I'll wait patiently for Google for now. (Submitted about two weeks ago to both Google and Froogle. Logs say that the Google spider showed up, but the site's not listed in Google yet. However, inventory is showing up in Froogle. So, I'm thinking the Froogle spider looks like the Google spider to Awstats.)

Thanks!!

-= Dave =-

Your site will get crawled by Google whether you have a spider killer or not.

Without a spider killer, the spider will consume huge amounts of bandwidth by creating multiple sessions that it will get lost in, and bring your server to it's knees.

In addition, you run the risk of exposing your customer's personal data to everyone on the web.

So you should definitely have one. :)

Burt?s spider killer is indeed the best.
So if I'm totally sold and want to use Burt's spider killer, how do I get it? Someone posted a new contribution that list's all the contributions on a single web page so that you can actually find stuff. There is a SID Killer which appears to be Ian's and a Spider Killer for MS1 by Henri.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

That is the rub. It is not available as a contribution just as a forum topic, which is why you have not been able to find it.

Visit this topic for all of the information.

Thanks. I found this updated spider list from JenRed.

It would be nice if the search function defaulted to AND like Google does.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

Thanks. I found this updated spider list from JenRed.

Uh, you might want to take the time to read that thread before implementing that list.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived