• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header tag controller / Google - calling the great Linda :)

smartwork

Hopefully Linda will check this thread out.

I'm using the Header Tag Controller (which rocks!) and after looking over all the 1 and 0 switches, I've not found where I can customize the header tags for default.php WHEN default.php is being used to display products of a category. It uses the default tags.

If this is incorrect, please stop me now and if you can... ah... politely point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated but I'll proceed with this long discription just in case. :wink:

If, however, this is correct - here is what I would like to do.

A) Build custom tags for each category through the category admin

or

B) Use the tags from the first product displayed on a category's page.

I find that my best Google rankings on my current non-OSC site (in transition now) are my category pages... not my product pages, SO I would like to "import" the relative tags into the default.php when it displays a category of products. Because most of my products in a category will have similar tags, for me it would be as simple as importing the tags from the first product listed on the relative category page.

That sound possible? I'm still new on the PHP thing or I would bang my head through the code, so I thought I would ask for some assistance and what better source but the original coder. :wink:

In "theory", I think this is what I want to do, but am not sure how:

If category has products (why else should it be displayed, ha), then make 1st product's tags equal the default tags that would normally be displayed.

I think I want these:

define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT','    ');

define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_DEFAULT','   ');

define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_DEFAULT', '      ');

to equal these of the first product in a category

define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_PRODUCT_INFO','');

define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_PRODUCT_INFO','');

define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_PRODUCT_INFO','');

I figure importing the tags form product 1 on the page is easier than working out a system for tags for each category page... but maybe not. Would adding a "tag controller" for each category in the admin be easier?

Any input would GREATLY be appreciated as I think this will be a major key in keeping our Google success. Again, if the feature is already within the contribution, I'm all about welcoming "direction"... ha, ha.

-shaun

If, however, this is correct - here is what I would like to do.  

A) Build custom tags for each category through the category admin

or  

B) Use the tags from the first product displayed on a category's page.

-shaun

You also want to look at this tmpanimes' contribution .

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1176

And follow this thread.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...=41516&start=10

-ibandyop

ibandyop