• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Free shipping coupon codes?

ravenstarr

Hello,

Was just wondering if there were any modules available that would allow someone to enter a code for free shipping. The store I am building provides its own delivery service for those in the local area; I would like to be able to provide these people with a code they can enter to avoid the shipping charges. I saw a few that offered $ or % off, but was hoping for something better.

Thanks,

Laura

Maybe you should check their address to figure out if they are local instead of having them enter a code.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

Well, I was hoping to have this be an automatic process rather than manual as it is now. We end up having to refund the money back to the card. Don't need to be sending anymore money to those merchants than neccesary, especially when shipping charges for wrought iron cages can get so spendy. :wink:

I was thinking you could check the address automatically from the account information. How do you define your local area? If it's by zip code or city it should be pretty easy to check the customer's account information to figure out if they are local.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

I was thinking you could check the address automatically from the account information.

It is an option, but how would this be done? What addon would I need?

How do you define your local area? If it's by zip code or city it should be pretty easy to check the customer's account information to figure out if they are local.

We would be willing to arrange it to be by city or zip code. My only issue is, what if that particular person doesn't want the personal delivery? We've come across some folks who are like that.

Whee? :shock:

I don't know of a particular addon that would do it, but it shouldn't be too hard to due. For the separate delivery problem, it seems like you could use the ship to address instead of the customer's address, but maybe that information becomes available too late in the process.

I was looking at a few of the shipping and coupon modules here, and it looks like it might be possible by playing with the functionality of one script, but somehow finding a way to build upon it. The Door to Door module fits well as the foundation since it can be set to focus on one particular state (Oregon in my case). However, the script would need to go a step further by identifying the city in which people live within that state. Our delivery area is fairly small, only about 25 total cities (Portland-Metro area). So, there'd have to be something put somewhere (possibly within the same module file?) that would go "okay, they live in oregon, do they match one of these cities? Cool, they can have free shipping." Also, by using this module in combination with the FedEx, they'd have the choice of delivery options.

<sigh> I need to learn php badly. I stumbled onto all these nifty toys after moving to a host that supported it, and now a bright new world has dawned before me. Only, I'm walking around blindly in all of it. :wink:

Oh, well. It was worth a try.

Thanks.