• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New At This And Frustrated As All Getout!

At the top of the catalog page there is the message, "This is a demonstration online-shop, any products purchased will not be delivered nor billed. Any information seen on these products are to be treated fictional."

I was told by my tech support guy to:

"The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis: [path to catalog]/includes/languages/[language]/default.php.

That can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the Languages->[language]->Define option, or by using the Tools->File Manager feature."

When I follow that string I get:

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /hsphere/local/home/katzkake/gourmetcoffeecakes.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/default.php

What does this mean? And how do I get rid of the other message?

Thanks forr that info. Anyway you can narrow it down? I'm going to spend a lot of time it looks like sorting through all that documantation and the customer is ranting!

When I follow that string I get:

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /hsphere/local/home/katzkake/gourmetcoffeecakes.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/default.php

What does this mean? And how do I get rid of the other message?

The osCommerce admin is sometimes user nobody instead of you. Because of this when it tries to write a file the file needs to have write permissions for everyone instead of just the owner. You can use chmod from telnet or the right click menu in WS_FTP to change the permissions of the file.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

For each file, there are read, write, and execute permissions assigned to the owner of the file, users in the same group as the owner, and everyone. This is represented by a 3 digit number, the owner's rights go in the left digit, the group's rights in the middle digit, and everyone's rights in the right digit. You add the values of the read(4), write(2), and execute(1) permissions. Your file probably has read and write permissions for the owner(6=4+2) and read permissions for the group and everyone(4), so putting it all together you get 644. Since osCommerce is considered nobody instead of you, it falls into the everyone category, so it only has read permissions. To fix this you need to change the permissions to 646. If you have shell access through telnet, the command is chmod 646 default.php (or whatever file you are dealing with). If you are using WS_FTP, you can right click default.php and select chmod; a dialog box will pop up where to can select read, write, and execute permissions.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

Perhaps you should start by helping yourself and reading the bloody docs. It's impossible to try to help someone that's too lazy to try to help themselves. There's not that much to read and perhaps you'll actually understand what you're trying to do then. Heck you might even learn something you didn't realize you needed to know. :roll:

I did read them and didn't find what I needed. Or maybe I did and didn't understand it. I told you I am new to this. I am a graphic artist trying to do something that is obviously over my head and I turned to what I thought were going to be helpful, understanding people. And except for your self-righteous comments most were. I just hope the next time you seek help you find someone more sympathetic than you.

"At the top of the catalog page there is the message, "This is a demonstration online-shop, any products purchased will not be delivered nor billed. Any information seen on these products are to be treated fictional."

hamptonmale using FTP go to : /catalog/includes/languages/english/default.php

Open the default.php file using ascii mode ( you may have to transfer the file to your computer to save the changes)

You are looking for

' This is a demonstration online-shop, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor billed</b>. Any information seen on these products are to be treated fictional.<br><br>If you wish to download this sample shop, or to contribute to this project, please visit the <a href="http://oscommerce.com"><u>support site</u></a>. This shop is based on <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

This will change your text.

What does this mean? More reading :wink:

Thanks! I finally found that. Only problem remaining now is that "TEXT_MAIN" is remaining on the page even though I removed it with the message. Maybe this is one of those programming codes I know nothing about. But looking through the code and reinserting it by itself and removing it again I still end up with it there. Very perplexing. I'll keep trying though. I haven't given up.

Instead of removing the whole TEXT_MAIN line, you need to leave

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

When you have an undefined string, osCommerce puts the name of the string where the text would have gone.

I did read them and didn't find what I needed.

You obviously didn't read them very thoroughly.

http://wiki.oscommerce.com/helpHowtoTextGeneral

And except for your self-righteous comments most were.

I'm not here to be your buddy nor do I care what you think of me. I was simply pointing you to a place where you could find the answer for yourself. Most people take pride in being self-sufficient. I guess you're an exception. I didn't realize you were asking that someone hold your hand and spoon feed the answers to you.

I just hope the next time you seek help you find someone more sympathetic than you.

The next time I seek help and someone tells me where to find the answer, I guarantee you, I'll find the answer. No spoon feeding required. :wink:

Thank you Mr. Dodd, I appreciate that.

You, Mr. Siegel need to work on your attitude. I didn't just sit here waiting for an answer I tried to figure out what was wrong. And as far as reading the documantation... I read every bit of it. But the wording, like you, seems to assume everyone has a great deal or experience or programming under their belt. Instead of dashing out at me why don't you mind your own business? My mom used to say, "If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all." I wish your mom had too.

You, Mr. Siegel need to work on your attitude.

According to who? You? I don't care what you think remember?

I didn't just sit here waiting for an answer I tried to figure out what was wrong.

Suuuuure you did. And I'm the queen of frickin' Sheba. :roll: You waited for someone to spell it out for you so you wouldn't actually have to think or do any work. Why don't you just admit it?

And as far as reading the documantation... I read every bit of it. But the wording, like you, seems to assume everyone has a great deal or experience or programming under their belt.

Q: How do you change the default.php introduction and welcome text?  

A: catalog/includes/languages/english/default.php  

You will need to change default.php in all of the language folders  

You can also change the heading title names in here.

How is that complicated? It tells you exactly where to find the text to change. What more do you need to know? A five-year-old could figure that out.

Instead of dashing out at me why don't you mind your own business?

Since when do you assume to tell me what I can and can't do? You don't have that power. Lucky me! :wink:

My mom used to say, "If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all." I wish your mom had too.

I won't bother with the tasteless joke about your Mom. It would be too easy and hardly sporting.

Have a day!

Thanks forr that info. Anyway you can narrow it down? I'm going to spend a lot of time it looks like sorting through all that documantation and the customer is ranting!

You are using software you have never used before to build a store for a paying customer and you want us to talk you through it without going to the trouble of reading the documentation?

AND you don't know how to chmod a file so you can write to it? Or download the file, modify it and re-upload it?

You are doing this why??

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

BTW, I didn't read the whole thread before writing the post above. I am not "taking sides", I am astonished that someone would take a job and then expect other people to lead them through it!

Very unprofessional. And the pointer to the docs wasn't rude. It got rude when help offered was ignored and/or brushed off.....

My clients often ask me to do things that they don't know how to do and I don't know how to do because they don't want to bring in another consultant. As long as the client knows I don't know how to do it, but that I think can get it done, I think it's OK. To me professional can mean helping the client in anyway possible even if it means roaming outside of my area of expertise. This is how I learned C++, TurboVision, MFC, Java, Linux, etc and the clients were happy with the results. I am willing to give the Bill the benefit of the doubt that he is in a similar situation. I think you need to be careful when doing this though, because you can easily end up looking like a "jack of all trades and master of none".

Except for the fact that you seem to be willing to learn and do the work yourself and "Bill" seems to be looking for someone to do this all for him. You have been more than instructional and he is either stubborn or someone pulling our chain.....

Archived