• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help for newbie please

Hi there

In the guide I have it says to upload the admin and catalog directories to my document root. I noticed that in the catalog folder there is another folder titled catalog. Is it this I upload or the whole file? Also it asks for my webserver root directory What will that be. When I look through an ftp program it has three folders: logs, users and web.

many thanks

without wanting to sound thick :oops: I basically open up catalog then place admin in the 2nd folder titled catalog and upload these to my webspace?

thanks

You can place admin anwhere you like.

You could put it under catalog like this:

/catalog/admin

or by itself:

/admin

As for the catalog directory, you need only upload the 2nd level catalog directory to properly do the install.

you could keep it simple if your just starting out, and upload the directory structure as is:

/admin

/catalog/catalog

and it will still work fine..

ok it keeps coming back saying

"New Install

Step 1: Database Import

The following error has occurred:

SQL file does not exist: /web/catalog/install/oscommerce.sql"

what am I doing wrong?

No need to bump your thread..

More than likely, your path to the install.sql file is incorrect. By path, i mean:

/web/catalog/install/oscommerce.sql

It is probably different..

like:

/web/catalog/catalog/install/oscommerce.sql

or something else..

If I have an invision powerboard forum running from the same place would that make a difference. Basically my hosting company setup mysql yesterday and I started the invision forum today but I am unsure if that would cause a conflict? I have set the right path to the file I know that and as Networkdad says it reports that it has found the database before it moves on to this stage.

You have to setup a separate database for OSC. You do not want to use the same database that invision board is using.

You'll have:

-a new database name

-new database user

-new database password.

If you dont know how to set this up, ask your hosting provider for help.

Regards,

Jason

ahhhhh the penny drops. Doh! I cannot use the same database, I shoulda guessed that. Thanks for the pointers. Is it easy enough for me to setup another database or would I be better asking my host to do it? They charge ?15 a go :(

ahhhhh the penny drops. Doh! I cannot use the same database, I shoulda guessed that. Thanks for the pointers. Is it easy enough for me to setup another database or would I be better asking my host to do it? They charge ?15 a go :(

?15 :shock:

Wow..i'd find a new host if they are charging for each database. Most hosting companies i know of give you 5 per account..

Sorry, i cant walk you thru creating a new DB. If you have a control panel of some sort (cpanel, ensim, plesk, etc) you should be able to take care of it there. If you dont know what im talking about...then go see your host.

Ok I got a new Database set up and then tried the install again, it connected to the database fine but then gave me the same message:

Step 1: Database Import

The following error has occurred:

The path is correct and the file is there so what am I doing wrong? I have spent about 5 hours on it now! It is getting me down.

The path is correct and the file is there so what am I doing wrong? I have spent about 5 hours on it now! It is getting me down.

The path is not correct :wink:

The path is not correct :wink:

I beg to differ. I am new to this and keep getting the exact same message when trying to setup on my pc's WAMP setup. For some reason the setup is not seeing the oscommerce.sql file even though it is the correct place.

Has anyone else had this and how did you correct it, or what are we doing wrong.

TIA :?:

(apache)

CHMOD dir install to 777

CHMOD ALL inside Install dir to 666

So how does this work on an install on a local pc for testing, not on a server?

(apache)

CHMOD dir install to 777

CHMOD ALL inside Install dir to 666

So how does this work on an install on a local pc for testing, not on a server?

Yes, in a pc local is ok, but in the server the same error occurs.<br><br> chmod files and try it

This chmod doesn't solve the problem, doing this resulted in other areas, when I chmod everything to 777 I still get the following error

SQL file does not exist: /home/football/mainwebsite_html/catalog/install/oscommerce.sql

perhaps I have the root setup incorrectly?

Need Hosting? Just ask!

SQL file does not exist: /home/football/mainwebsite_html/catalog/install/oscommerce.sql

perhaps I have the root setup incorrectly?

So let me get this right;

I unzip to my local hdd, (me onto my WAMP install in htdocs)

I have created a db (I think ?)

I run the install.php script (in /catalog/install/install.php) and follow it through and this should do everything and I get tha above error like some other users.

What have I done wrong?

Having looked at some of the docs there seem to be other tasks to do, (like use configure.php or something), or is this dependant on the version used?

:?:

I got mine fixed.

put LocalHost in for the database server

I already tried that. This is what I got:

webserver root - http://localhost

webserver catalog - /catalog/

webserver admin - /admin/

www catalog - /catalog/

www admin - /admin/

database server - localhost

username - john

password - not telling

database - oscommerce.

If it is any help, I managed the upgrade bit half an hour ago and all the tables are in the dbase, but I cannot do anything else.

TIA :?:

Archived