• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to get rid of message: Warning: installation directory

Bradisco

Hello,

I just went through the installation but I am getting this message on top of the shop:

Warning : Installation directory exists at: /home/sites/site163/web/catalog Please remove.....

Warning: I am able to write.......

Do you how how to get rid of it. Everything else seems to run fine.

Thks

Bradisco

And CHMOD 644 your includesconfigure.php file.

Which is what the second error is about.

If you're unsure, CHMOD is for setting file permissions... this can be done through most FTP programs or the File Manager of cPanel if your host offers this feature.

Cheers,

Tony

"The price of success is perseverance. The price of failure comes much cheaper."

Many thks tony,

You are right, when I went through the instal. I made the change in catalogincludesconfigure.php filefrom CHMOD 644 to 777 but when I went after to set it back to 644 it was already set to 777 !

Do I have to run though install again ?

Thks,

Bradisco

Many thks tony,

You are right, when I went through the instal. I made the change in catalogincludesconfigure.php filefrom CHMOD 644 to 777 but when I went after to set it back to 644 it was already set to 644 ! meaning it was never saved to 777. And still now I cannot modify that value to 777 ???

But no probl. with admin/incl/configure.php !

Do I have to run though install again ?

Thks,

Bradisco

It sounds like user 'nobody' owns the file.

Here's a quick rundown of what's happened...

When you're logged in through FTP all files are modified/created by your username.

When using a program with no user, a default user of 'nobody' is used. Only problem with this is that you don't own the file under your normal username and therefore can't modify of change it.

If this is the case, you will need to contact your host and ask them to change the file owner.

HTH,

Tony

"The price of success is perseverance. The price of failure comes much cheaper."

• 7 years later...

It sounds like user 'nobody' owns the file.

Here's a quick rundown of what's happened...

When you're logged in through FTP all files are modified/created by your username.

When using a program with no user, a default user of 'nobody' is used. Only problem with this is that you don't own the file under your normal username and therefore can't modify of change it.

If this is the case, you will need to contact your host and ask them to change the file owner.

HTH,

Tony

Tony,

Just came across this post and it sounds like what is happening to me, though I have a few questions. I purged my entire site, then used FileZilla to upload a backup. I was logged in through the FTP with my normal login. But now I'm getting a message on my homepage, "Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: .../public_html/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file."

The file permissions are set to 644.

What gives?

Archived