The e-commerce.

SEO URLs in OS 2.3.3.4?

mikemanning

3 minutes ago, Rwe said:

redirect to the new url [NC,L,301]

Sorry must be:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-([0-9]+).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2 [L,R=301]

10 hours ago, raiwa said:

You need to modify the rewrite rules a bit.

Add the products and catagories id query string so for products it should look something like this:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-([0-9]+).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2 [NC,L,QSA]

This addresses a concern I have about leaving SEO urls when I make the jump to CE.  I.E. not losing existing links that are out there.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

On 7/23/2018 at 11:49 AM, Rwe said:

Sorry must be:

Presuming then that

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2 [NC,L,QSA]

Will take care of category redirects.  It's working live for me but I'm just checking if the syntax is OK.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

8 minutes ago, altoid said:

It's working live for me but I'm just checking if the syntax is OK.

@altoid  this is what i have:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-([0-9_]+).html$ index.php?cPath=$2 [L,R=301]
  RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-([0-9]+).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2 [L,R=301]

Notice the R=301 at the end , it will redirect to the new url and  tell google that the old url is permanent replaced with the new one.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:56 PM, Rwe said:

@altoid  this is what i have:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-([0-9_]+).html$ index.php?cPath=$2 [L,R=301]
  RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-([0-9]+).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2 [L,R=301]

Notice the R=301 at the end , it will redirect to the new url and  tell google that the old url is permanent replaced with the new one.

You don't want to do that (use R=301). This tells search engines and customers to abandon the SEF version and use the old-fashioned UQS method instead. You want everyone to see the SEF/SEO format, don't you? Leave off the R=301, and as others suggested, add QSA so that any Query String that happened to be there originally is preserved.

@MrPhil

There is no concern about duplicate content if google will find both the old sef and stock URL's with QSA?

50 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

You don't want to do that (use R=301).

5 hours ago, Rwe said:

@MrPhil

There is no concern about duplicate content if google will find both the old sef and stock URL's with QSA?

Google won't even see the "stock URLs" (index.php with Query String) if you let the status code default to 200. It's strictly internal to your server.

Note that if you change the protocol (http or https) or the domain (e.g., add or remove www.), the default status code is usually 302 (temporary move). Then you should be using R=301.

Archived