• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

From MySQL to MariaDB

John W

I'm running Cpanel 66.0.23 and currently using MySQL 5.6, but support for MySQL 5.6 in Feb 2018 from what I understand.  I think Cpanel will still let it run since they let MySQL 5.5 run on current version.   However, from there, the only choice is Maria for upgrading on Cpanel.  One thing on Cpanel is they don't have a way to downgrade, so if go to Maria and it doesn't work, then that's a problem.  I know Harald has mentioned Maria, but is anyone else using it or tried it?  I haven't really explored Maria, but I guess in the next few weeks I'll download a copy to my local test server and see how it works.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm not really a dog.

Turned MariaDB off and back on.  Turned Apache off and back on.

Full database has disappeared...does not show up in phpmyadmin. 
In the file structure, database is destroyed - just .ibd files remain...

Corrupted DB cannot be removed or destroyed...
Put bluntly: shit.

Well, I read more yesterday on the Cpanel forums and Maria is supposed to be a drop in place replacement.  There's not as much discussion there as I would expect, but there are a few threads.  There is a thread asking about upgrade problems and many hosts say they have done the switch with no problems.  The problem on Cpanel is you can't go back if there is a problem.  I also read that Red Hat is dropping MySQL in favor of Maria.

There are some people on the Cpanel forums that are putting presure for Cpanel to offer MySQL 5.7 saying that end users and devevlopers are demanding it.  Hosts and datacenters are saying that Cpanel is losing business when someone needs 5.7 because they're being sold other control panels like Plesk or DirectAdmin. 

Cpanel has the upgrades mostly automated, but everytime I've upgraded MySql, Apache and Php have to be recompiled before it works. 

I'm not really a dog.

10.  Meh, same problem.  Seems to be related to InnoDB;

170929 13:35:03 [Warning] InnoDB: Cannot open table bsv4/configuration from the internal data dictionary of InnoDB though the .frm file for the table exists. See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/innodb-troubleshooting.html for how you can resolve the problem.

I'll let the host worry about it when the time comes, I guess.

1 hour ago, John W said:

Well, I read more yesterday on the Cpanel forums and Maria is supposed to be a drop in place replacement.  There's not as much discussion there as I would expect, but there are a few threads.  There is a thread asking about upgrade problems and many hosts say they have done the switch with no problems.  The problem on Cpanel is you can't go back if there is a problem.  I also read that Red Hat is dropping MySQL in favor of Maria.

Just to level-set everyone reading this, MariaDB is an open source fork/clone of MySQL, led by the original developer of MySQL. Many people became nervous about the future of MySQL when Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems, owner of MySQL, and feared that MySQL would become closed, or even be dropped in favor of expensive Oracle products. MariaDB is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for MySQL (at least initially), but it is probable that the two will diverge over time.

It should be possible to write all database calls to a tep_db_* layer, which could convert DB-specific phrases in queries so that MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, and even Oracle and IBM proprietary SQL databases could all be used. This might be a preprocessor for query strings to take something like the LIMIT phrase in a MySQL-syntax query and convert it to the format used by another database, or it could be keeping the base SQL totally neutral (common) and adding on DB-specific phrases such as LIMIT in MySQL and the equivalent for other databases.

There was only one hosts on the main Cpanel thread on the upgrade that had any problems and that was with old Joomla sites.  There were many that said Maria is faster and less resource intensive.  Server Admins have been doing the upgrade without notifying their customers, so it's probably smooth the way Cpanel has it down.  I've used the Cpanel upgrade a few times when I've upgaded MySQL versions and never had any issues.  On my production sever/site, I'm going to wait until a slow time of the year to do this.  Wtih Php udates or ugrades, you can just go back if you need to easily on Cpanel. 

I'm not really a dog.

1 minute ago, John W said:

There was only one hosts on the main Cpanel thread on the upgrade that had any problems and that was with old Joomla sites.  There were many that said Maria is faster and less resource intensive.  Server Admins have been doing the upgrade without notifying their customers, so it's probably smooth the way Cpanel has it down.  I've used the Cpanel upgrade a few times when I've upgaded MySQL versions and never had any issues.  On my production sever/site, I'm going to wait until a slow time of the year to do this.  Wtih Php udates or ugrades, you can just go back if you need to easily on Cpanel. 

Make sure and take a couple of backups of the DB prior "just in case".

Maria10 on php7.1 is absolutely *flying*

I'm the self appointed king of backups and that has really saved me a couple times in various miistakes.  My site is fully backed up and swept to an Evault server every night.  On my Windows computer I use Acronis and Windows backups going to an external hard drive.  If my MySQL data files get messed up, I can just replace the whole folder with a backup on Windows quickly.

Most people have their sites on Webhost that will pull this trigger when they want.  I bet there are people running on Maria wiht OSC that don't even know it.  I went to a dedicated server in 2007, and besides more work and headaches, I can make it more secure.  

I'm not really a dog.

Archived