• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal duplicate orders

John W

standard_ipn It does not show the order number, so I deleted that part of that file.

I have tried all possible combinations and it is the only one that works for me.

It is more than likely that whoever uses other modules needs to do it the other way as I say, I will not discuss that.

In Spain it is necessary to include the tax identification number of the client in the invoice that goes over 100 euros and for that I have to modify the module to include the field and to leave. With the other payment modules is not necessary, only with PayPal.

Based on that, I can not just replace an old file with a new one of an update. I have to compare both files and add in the new what is in the old (not all, obviously), that's why there are two files that send emails, before there was only one and it was paypal_standard.

6 hours ago, reflex-ocasion said:

standard_ipn It does not show the order number, so I deleted that part of that file.

Yes it does. Using PayPal app 5.018

Subject and discussion of this topic is that PayPal appeared for a while to inform customers that their order was unsuccessful and that they should repeat the process. This resulted in two identical orders from the customer with different order numbers, Each of these orders produced one email, not two.

The last time this happened in my shop was 19th October so hopefully PP have sorted this out now, unless anybody knows different...

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

16 hours ago, reflex-ocasion said:

I have always used PayPal Standard, no other version.
There are two files that send emails, catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_standard.php and catalog/ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php. There are no more files that send emails.

At first I received the duplicate emails until I commented the whole block in the second file. Since then I have not received a duplicate email again and this has been more than a year.

The first file shows the order number in the email. The second file does not show it, that's why I commented it.

Seach in catalog/ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php from

// lets start with the email confirmation
      $email_order = STORE_NAME . "\n" .

Until

// send emails to other people
      if (SEND_EXTRA_ORDER_EMAILS_TO != '') {
        tep_mail('', SEND_EXTRA_ORDER_EMAILS_TO, EMAIL_TEXT_SUBJECT, $email_order, STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS);
      }

and comment or delete everything

This works for me, I do not receive duplicate emails since I did it. I hope that helps.

Hi reflex-ocasion

Did you have a problem with duplicate orders showing in admin or just duplicate emails?

Thanks,
Pete

1 minute ago, reflex-ocasion said:

@pete2007

I just duplicated the emails.
I'm sorry if there has been any misunderstanding, at least on my part.

OK, thanks for confirming, I have a problem with duplicate orders in admin, just trying to find a fix, going round in circles lol

5 hours ago, mhsuffolk said:

Subject and discussion of this topic is that PayPal appeared for a while to inform customers that their order was unsuccessful and that they should repeat the process. This resulted in two identical orders from the customer with different order numbers, Each of these orders produced one email, not two.

The last time this happened in my shop was 19th October so hopefully PP have sorted this out now, unless anybody knows different...

I had another one of these the other day and had a chance to talk to the customer....PayPal did not return them to our site so they figured something was wrong and repeated the order.  I ended up with two payments and one completed order.  The other remained in the database awaiting completion.  The PayPal payments both referenced the correct order numbers ie two different order numbers. Seems PayPal is not always returning customers back to our sites for some reason.

Dan

I haven't had a duplicate order since it stopped a few months ago.  I'm having failed/incomplete orders where it shows "Preparing [PayPal Standard]" this week, which also come in spurts.  I don't know if they just bail becasue of shipping costs or what.  No customer I've ever contacted has responded and they are new customers.  I've never had one of them contact me either asking about the order, so I assume they are bailing. 

I'm not really a dog.

On rare occasions I would receive two confirmation e-mails from PayPal from both <<paypal_standard.php>> & <<standard_ipn.php>> for the same PayPal transaction, but most of the time I receive just one confirmation e-mail from PayPal - either (mostly) from <<paypal_standard.php>> or from <<standard_ipn.php>>.

My site is on the latest BS Edge with PayPal App v5.018 Payment Standard updated to work with BS Edge.  PayPal PDT is set to on and IPN messages is disabled in my PayPal account.

Cheers, Eddy

• 4 months later...

Received another duplicate payment earlier this morning.  It resulted in different osC order numbers but with the same PayPal transaction number showing in the Order Status information for both orders.   Interestingly the PayPal confirmation emails that I received showed different transaction numbers though...one was the same as shown in the Order Status info but the other was an entirely different number.

I've been in touch with the customer and have inquired if anything odd happened on their end   I'll report back if I learn anything useful.

BTW, I'm using Paypal Standard which my PayPal rep indicated was being discontinued in a recent introduction phone call. 

Dan

1 hour ago, Dan Cole said:

BTW, I'm using Paypal Standard which my PayPal rep indicated was being discontinued in a recent introduction phone call. 

Dan

@Dan Cole Did the rep give you an idea when this would happen?  I'm using Standard also.

I'm not really a dog.

Sorry, no idea John...it was kind of mentioned in passing as he was trying to move me to the Express Checkout Platform.  I googled for a date but couldn't come up with anything.

Dan

They will most likely give us a long timeline like with TLS.  I tried getting Express to work, but there is an issue between it and my Fedex module.  You were correct a few years ago that Paypal is worth it and I get a lot of my sales through it.

I'm not really a dog.

I suspect it is a marketing ploy by PP to get you onto a platform with even higher fees. I have had my osCommerce shop since 2009 and had always had both PP (high fees) and Worldpay (a merchant account with much lower fees) as options. I had Worldpay as the first payment option and PayPal at the bottom of the list. As an experiment in February I disabled the PP APP thus removing that option. Sales have not diminished significantly and several of my regular PP customers have started using Worldpay thus saving me a significant amount in fees. PP has become the easy option as it stores the card numbers of those too lazy to enter them, but a lot of major internet traders do not offer PP as an option. Perhaps the time has come to bite the bullet and cast PP adrift, they might even lower their fees!

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

I suspect it is a marketing ploy by PP to get you onto a platform with even higher fees.

That thought went through my mind as well especially since I hadn't heard/seen mention of it anywhere else.  I agree with you regarding the ever increasing fees, not only with PayPal but with the various credit card issuers  as well.   I would love to have a good EMT payment module to reduce my operating cost in this area.  

Dan