• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal Express or Standard opinions wanted

John W

I'm looking for recommendations as to whether to use PayPal Express or Standard, or both on my site.  I have standard running for about 4 weeks and I see it's worth it.  I'd love to hear opinions on this.

I'm not really a dog.

@@John W no question - Express. All the issues of days gone by seem to be fixed, with Express Enabled you can 1) you can take advantage of PayPal Checkout, 2)

you can take advantage of Login with PayPal and 3) if required, you can now use PayPal Pro.

You can refer to this link for more details on how I have it set up; http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/410909-paypal-app-and-234bs-gold/?p=1755266

Note: if you need to use a Discount Module this one works with Express.... http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9460

I followed the settings you mentioned in your referenced thread, but I may have some shipping modifications that are causing an issue.  I have a packing routine and I quote dimensional weight.

I'm not really a dog.

Express is the better of the two but only if you are using the paypal app. Other versions of the express module can't handle additional things, like coupon codes. Also, don't use them both since they will both show on the payment page. That will work but will be confusing to your customers.

For the shipping problem, this was discussed in one of the paypal threads (sorry, don't have a link). As I recall, the problem was fixed with the latest version of the app.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I've seen some of the discussions on shipping, but I must be missing something.  I like the idea of express, but I'll need to solve shipping.  I realized after I my initial post that having both would be a stupid idea.

I'm not really a dog.

The thread you posted to was the one I meant. See the posts by sam-AUST. Also, see the Instant Updates section here. With Express, the customer should see the cheapest shipping option selected in their paypal account and there should be a dropdown where they can select a different method. When they return to the site, that method is chosen so the shipping page is skipped.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I must have something modified that's causing the problem.  I downloaded 5.018 from Github and I'm still not getting shipping returned no matter what combinations I try.  I get low order added on and tax, but not shipping.  I'll dig into this more later today. 

I'm not really a dog.

@@John W I'm a little confused as to your exact problem John.

If you had/have it set up as suggested (instant update OFF and in-context enabled) in my post here ... there is no shipping transfer to PayPal.

Scenario 1) With a customer logged into your store (instant update OFF & in context enabled) - selecting PayPal as their payment method at checkout_payment customer is sent to PayPal for login (and NO shipping is shown at PayPal) - customer confirms order at PayPal and the customer is redirected/transferred back to your store at checkout_confirmation where shipping is added (from their selected shipping they selected on checkout_shipping). Customer Confirms order....

Scenario 2) Customer NOT logged into your store (instant update OFF & in context enabled) - selects "Checkout with PayPal" from shopping_cart page - in-context box opens on page - customer logs into PayPal and customer confirms order in in-context PayPal box and the customer is directed to checkout_confirmation where shipping is added (the least expensive option). Super slick and super fast... no need to enter ANY info from customer... the only draw back is if (like me) you offer multiple shipping methods they do not get an option to select an "upgraded/more expensive" shipping option.

There are other scenarios.... but this covers 95%....

@@greasemonkey I only offer one shipping option, so that part is simple, but it's not being added in at checkou_confirmation in Scenario 1 or 2 with your settings.  In fact, in scenario 1 with (instant update OFF & in context enabled)  it doesn't add tax in when it should either.  Scenario 2 adds tax, but neither are adding shipping. 

I'm not really a dog.

@@greasemonkey

Everything else works perfectly.  I use A.net forever and paypal standard works well.  I'll have to pour through this more in the future, but my checkout_confirmation doesn't have much modded off hand. 

Dimensional weight applies to using a packing routine (from UPS XML that I've modified) with Fedex so I send box dimensions, but I don't think tha't s what the problem is.  I'll work at this harder in the next week or so.  Since I haven't done anything wiht the paypal app until recently, I'm not familiar. 

When I solve this, or if I do, I'll post my findings.

I'm not really a dog.

Sorry can't be more help @@John W

I think you mentioned in another thread you are having issues updating to 5.018? It would be my guess there in lies your issue.

Assuming you are using 2.3.4 EDGE and 5.010 and or manually updated from 5.010 to 5.018 (and possibly missed something).

5.010 was not compatible with BS without modifying... the BS compatibly was added in 5.011 I think.

Figure out that... and you will be on a firmer footing while you diagnose this issue.

Update:  I decided to try it with a flat cost shipping and that is getting added in so the problem is how my Fedex module using dimensional support is loading.  Now that I know where the problems lies, I'll figure out what's going on.  Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner.  When I figure this out I'll post in the main paypal thread in case anyone else hits this problem.

I'm not really a dog.

Yes, it does get rates on the fly from the Fedex API and is normally pretty quick, but can take up to 2 seconds or so.  I don't think it's being triggered.  At least I have an idea where to look though.  I'm wondering if I can put an safety catch in checkout_confirmation.

I'm not really a dog.

@@John W @@burt I use the FedEx web services API (without dimensional)... it works just fine for me with PayPal Express.

I can't image the API call takes any longer with dimensions??? I would go back and check whatever modification are required with the dimensional support (I know the shopping_cart class for sure....)