• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal will discontinue GET method for their API's. How to switch to POST method?

Outlier

PayPal states that they: "will no longer support the use of the GET HTTP request method for our classic NVP/SOAP API's.  If you currently use any of these API's, you will need to ensure that your API requests only use the POST HTTP request method."  This is their page that says that:  https://www.paypal-knowledge.com/infocenter/index?page=content&widgetview=true&id=FAQ1927&viewlocale=en_US   The deadline to do this is June 30, 2017. 

This will involve altering some code.  Does anyone know specifically which file(s) and lines this would affect?  I am hoping (praying) that the change only involves changing a few lines around.  Does anyone have any input into this?

• 3 months later...

The PayPal App only uses POST requests for the classic NVP APIs.

I suppose you mean 'your' PayPal App (currently 5.010) meant for osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3 ...

I am using osC 2.2 MS2 - 060817 (yes really) and its standard built-in PayPal module. The osC install is heavily modified, but not the PayPal part - no add-ons, no modifications. The only reference to PayPal I can find is in catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal.php on line #32:

$this->form_action_url = 'https://secure.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr';

but I have no idea if after merging this is resulting in a GET or POST.

Do I need to change anything in the code? If so, where?

23 minutes ago, superfrank said:

but I have no idea if after merging this is resulting in a GET or POST.

Do I need to change anything in the code? If so, where?

That's totally fine. That legacy module also uses POST to send the order information to PayPal.

:heart:, osCommerce

Thank you for the good - and fast news. Yes, I think "legacy" is the right word. It needed some fixes along the way, but still working like a charm, nonetheless :)

I am not sure if this is off-topic or not, but maybe you (or anybody) can help me with two other PayPal security update issues as well. To be clear once again: for the standard, unmodified, built-in paypal module of 2.2MS2:

- IPN Verification Postback to HTTPS
I understand HTTPS should be used *IF* IPN is being used. However, the standard module does not feature "IPN" (it would involve an add-on). So that means I do not need to change anything.
Is this correct?

- Merchant API Certificate Credentials Upgrade
A similar situation: I understand this is only if "Express Checkout" is being used. Which is not the case with the standard built-in PayPal module. So no need to change anything.
Correct?

Just now, superfrank said:

- IPN Verification Postback to HTTPS
I understand HTTPS should be used *IF* IPN is being used. However, the standard module does not feature "IPN" (it would involve an add-on). So that means I do not need to change anything.
Is this correct?

Yep, that's correct. The legacy "paypal.php" payment module does not use IPN. This first started with "paypal_standard.php".

3 minutes ago, superfrank said:

- Merchant API Certificate Credentials Upgrade
A similar situation: I understand this is only if "Express Checkout" is being used. Which is not the case with the standard built-in PayPal module. So no need to change anything.
Correct?

Our PayPal modules have never used the Merchant API Certificate Credentials so nothing needs to be changed here either. The newer modules use the Merchant API Signature Credentials, nothing needs to be adapted here either.

Regardless of which module is being used, if you can process a PayPal transaction in sandbox now, then you won't have any issues on the live server on June 30.

:heart:, osCommerce

You are a gift from heaven, Harald the Legend. Thank you for your expert replies, giving me trust and peace of mind.

Maybe a sandbox test would be better than theoretical talk, but I am not to keen on it with a live shop and I don't have a copy-shop to test with. Anyway, I have the feeling things will be fine after June 30. Thanks.

I have passed the info to the Dutch osC community where I asked the same questions.

I am concerned. I have PayPal advanced. I tries to install the new PayPal App. I see the error message upon configuration of Hosted Solution:

This module is not yet suited for Payflow and will not load. This will be enabled in the next update to the PayPal App.

Is there a fix coming soon? Can I just continue to use the old stuff - Prefer not to have the additional features in the App. Has anybody just changed the PayFlow files? I am using osCommerce 2.3

thank you,

Dan

PayPal.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7-6-2017 at 9:41 PM, superfrank said:

I have the feeling things will be fine after June 30.

And so I have just tested. Things are working fine.

BUT...

I just noticed an update on the PayPal roadmap about this (see the red update text on https://www.paypal-knowledge.com/infocenter/index?page=content&widgetview=true&id=FAQ1913&viewlocale=en_US )

"While we are allowing for these security updates to be made after June 30, 2017, we continue to recommend that you prioritize the changes and updated protocols specified by the PCI Council so you are best positioned to protect your customers from security and fraud-related issues."

"While we are allowing for these security updates to be made after June 30" -  do I understand well that PCI and PayPal have postponed the deadline? And that PayPal has NOT changed anything yet? If so, what's the new deadline?

According to this thread on the PayPal developer forum:  https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Website-Payments-Pro-Hosted-DCC/When-is-the-new-deadline-for-merchants-to-upgrade-to-PayPal-s/m-p/1252878#M69  a forum moderator wrote:  "The exact date hasnt been set yet, however it will not be until 2018, once we know more it will be published." 

I recommend you post to that forum too because if they know people want to know, they might be more proactive about this.  By the way, that's the official PayPal forum and I'm the only one who posted that question.  I knew I wasn't the only person wondering...

Edited by TheOutlier

So I guess I am right with my conclusion that things are still the same like before June 30.

I have the same thinking as you - I want to test live and be 100% sure it works, but I don't want to check every day. Instead I guess we will have to check that forum every day. Oh, and maybe that roadmap publication too. Great ;-)

I do not have a 'copy' web shop to run tests in. Nor I think it's a good idea to use the sandbox in a live shop (test and real orders could be mixed).

Anyway, thanks for pointing that forum/topic out to me. As you suggested, I have added a post.

• 6 months later...

I just wanted to update this thread.  There has been an update.  The link is here:  https://www.paypal-notice.com/en/  The new deadline is June 2018.  Before all these changes were to occur, PayPal emailed its merchants the results of their own testing of their sites and letting the merchants know which areas of their site need to be updated.  I'm wondering if they're going to send a similar email before June 2018.  Anyway, I also posted this on the PayPal forum.