• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Using more than one PayPal module at the same time

Enzo_UK

I am running a bootstrapped version of 2.3.4 and the PayPal app v4.039, and I want to be run a few different PayPal modules, but use different ones depending on how the customer wants to checkout.

Basically I want to use the PayPal Express so that the 'Checkout with PayPal' button comes up in the cart, but if someone goes through the checkout normally I want to use PayPal Pro Hosted.

Obviously if I have both enabled then when the customer gets to checkout_payment.php they have two PayPal choices to pick from, which may cause some confusion.

Has anyone got any idea where I need to tweak to stop the PayPal Express from showing up as a choice on the checkout_payment.php page?

Thanks in advance.

• 10 months later...

Assuming you have the paypal app installed, the express module must be installed in order to use the pro module. Since they are both enabled, both will display on the checkout payment page. This shouldn't cause any confusion though you may want  to change the wording for the modules to something like "Pay with Credit Card" and "Pay through Your Paypal Account".

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Many thanks.   That's not really the answer I was hoping for.  We have a very non-techy customer base and facing them with a choice a high proportion will not understand is probably not a great idea.  I'm a bit confused too. I thought the whole point of paypal express was that it  pops up a window direct from the shopping basket by which you could pay and circumvent the payment and shipping pages.  So why list two options on the payment page - I would have thought that once you were on that page you have chosen not to go down the "express" route?

Hello @Enzo_UK, @tobybailey,

In: includes/modules/payment/paypal_express.php

within the class constructor function, duplicate the following code snippet:

if ( !function_exists('curl_init') ) {
        $this->description .= '<div class="secWarning">' . $this->_app->getDef('module_ec_error_curl') . '</div>';

$this->enabled = false;
      }

and change the condition to:

if ( $PHP_SELF == 'checkout_payment.php' ) {
        $this->enabled = false;
      }

Edited by raiwa

1 hour ago, tobybailey said:

So why list two options on the payment page - I would have thought that once you were on that page you have chosen not to go down the "express" route?

Many customers prefer to pay with their paypal account. You can't assume they will see the paypal button on the shopping cart page. What happens if they click the Checkout link in the header without looking at the shopping cart page? In that case, the customer would assume you only offer one payment method. If their credit card is at its limit and they can't use their paypal account, you lose the order.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Raiwa, 

Thanks.  That looks as though it will work.

Jack,  Customers see the option to pay with their paypal account when presented with the pay box at the end of the Pro Hosted process.  I think your analysis of the pros and cons is a bit oversimplified. Yes, I guess customers who want to by by Paypal may get discouraged if they do not see it at the payment stage having missed the spearate button on the cart. But also they may get discouraged if they are confused when presented with options. Anyway, we'll have a look at it (with some sensible labels as you suggest) and decide. 

Thanks both.