• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Geotargeting

vasmasal

Is there any add-ons on Geotargeting?

I would like to make targeted information for different regions depending of geo-position of users (by IP and so on).

I need under each product a relevant information is been shown regarding to the user's region.

Are the users logged in (you know their country) or are they guests (people just browsing).

If logged in;  get users country, display relevant message

If not logged in; there are databases (and APIs) of IP <-> country, so do that and display the message.

Potential problems;  

APIs are generally rate limited.  If you have a busy site this could be problematic.

Databases are large and go out of date.

I'd suggest;

logged in; easy, take the country, display the message

not logged in;  display all available messages for all countries ---or--- allow not logged in people to select their country which then shows the relevant message.

Edited by burt

• 1 year later...
On 7/14/2016 at 3:55 PM, burt said:

-or--- allow not logged in people to select their country which then shows the relevant message.

Hello, is there a plugin to add this option ? maybe a popup where a user can select his country before he proceed. thanks

There is already code in place to, sort of, determine the language to be used. I say sort of because it depends on a couple of things and is not always accurate. I use code in my View Counter addon that determines the country more closely. But it uses a free IP database and that database is not complete or updated too often. You can pay for a full version but I don't think the cost is justified.

Both of these methods will work to a limited degree. Both would also require additional code changes to do what you want.  I don't care for making a customer click a popup. That seems a non-user-friendly option, though such popups are common nowadays.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I really prefer a separate country and language selection like all big brands do nowadays

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

• 8 months later...