• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Any working coupon code/discount code add-on for 2.3.4?

madsci

I've recently replaced my old 2.2MS2 site with 2.3.4.  I was running CCGV previously and was planning to install it again, but all of the versions I can find seem to be outdated and incomplete.  The last two 'full packages' are missing a number of files (including the very first one listed in the instructions) and I'm hesitant to start pulling things from older versions.

All I really need is the ability to issue a few discount codes for specific products or categories.  It needs to work with purchase-without-account and with PayPal, which the latest version of Discount Codes I could find says it doesn't.

Any suggestions?  I'll go back to CCGV if I have to but it looks like it'll be hours of work to find and review all of the files.

I had really hoped that discount codes and quantity price breaks would have been made standard features in the 11 years since I installed 2.2.  Instead, the add-on situation seems to have gotten significantly worse, with fragmentation of packages, abandoned and obsolete packages everywhere, and very little visible activity.  Is osC dying or is everyone hanging out somewhere else?

You have hit upon one of the failing with oscommerce. In any advertising for oscommerce they always say over 7000 free addons. What they forget to mention is that almost all of them do not work with the latest version Some do work, but are poorly coded and others have been messed about with by so many people that had no idea what they were doing, they should not be used.

What I will say is that the community are trying to change things, but they need help. Many addons that were popular have been updated to work on the latest version and the community bootstrap version. What you have to do is to post a request to get help to convert an addon to the latest version, or need to post in the paid for support thread and once you have a working version, post it to the addon area so others can improve it or use it just as it is.

I do believe there is a working discount addon somewhere, but quantity price breaks I dont think there is.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

@@madsci The addons section has always been a mess due to lazy people. Even now you can find addons where someone just uploads one file instead of a complete package. So you have to work through the uploads to find what is needed. Most of the addons will work with the newer versions of oscommerce but they need adjustments in the code. This is not always a simple matter especially if one doesn't have the experience needed for that but it can be done.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@allaboutwicker Is the Tsimi update specific to the Bootstrap version?  Also, what the heck is the deal with the Bootstrap version?  I can't find any mention of it on the main osC site, just in add-ons and forums.  I don't actually care about running it right now, but it's a good example of how scattered osC seems to have gotten.  Where would one be expected to find out about it?  Also, as an embedded systems developer 'bootstrap' means something entirely different to me.  I didn't know it was the name of a responsive framework until last week.

@@Jack_mcs and @@14steve14 Yeah, it was about this bad 11 years ago.  Fewer things in there maybe, but it's certainly no more organized than it was, and I've seen the variability in quality.  Most of the add-ons I've installed I've had to make tweaks to.  Either they weren't updated for 2.3.4, or they don't work right on PHP 5.6, or they modify the same things other add-ons did and I have to merge SQL queries and such.

I think the 13,300 registered sites is as misleading as the 7,000 add-ons.  I get the feeling that 80% of those sites are probably created by the same 20 developers who have their own customized and modified versions.

I haven't been a professional web developer and DBA in about 15 years but I'm still a full-time programmer and I'd be totally sunk without the ability to dig in to the PHP code and debug it myself.  I've had to resist the urge many times to come in here and rant about some of the awful and brain-dead stuff I've had to fix - like the fact that after all these years, the screen where you confirm your order says "Order Confirmation" and gives no indication that it's not a confirmation of your order unless you scroll down to see the submit button at the very bottom.  I lost multiple orders in the first week thanks to that quirk and I can't believe no one's changed it.  But I will say that the payment and shipping modules I'm using have improved and I do appreciate the work that's been done there.  I'd stick around and try to do more to improve things myself but I'm so swamped with work already that it's just not going to happen.

Thanks for the responses.

@@madsci I'm not sure what the 13,000 registered sites is supposed to mean. I know it isn't the actual number in use though. In my Header Tags SEO addon, I have the words "replace me in page control" for the main title meant as instruction. The instructions say to change that but many don't.  If you search for that, you will see there are about 17,000 results for it. Since not all sites use my addon and some that do do change the wording, the number of sites using oscommerce is probably far greater than that 17,000.

But the number of addons has always been misleading, in my opinion. I suspect some are being counted more than once.

But both of the above numbers, as well as the control of the addon sections, is handled by Harold and he is MIA. So as aggravating at it is, and It is very aggravating - at least to me, it is something we all have to deal with.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

24 posts in 11 years.  You are part of the problem.

If everyone gave a little bit of time and effort, the whole environment and ethos would be awesome.  As it is we have people who popup every 4 or 5 years asking for help and advice, and giving back nothing to the community.   That's something we need to (somehow) solve...

Edited by burt

Hi everybody,

If this can help anyone, now my shops are running under Burt's 2.3.4 BS Gold (since a year or so). Regarding offers and discounts, I have installed

Dangling Carrot and Credit Class, Gift Vouchers & Discount Coupons osC2.3.3.4, both working like a charm. Quite sure, in short I'll try Tsimi's Discount Codes 3.2 BS and Jack's Daily Specials.

I am not a coder, and of course I've found some problems when installing some addons. Simply reading comments here at the forum or asking Google, up to date, I've been able of solve most of them. Also, sometimes I couldn't find the solution I was looking for. In those cases, what I did was to search for another addon that fitted and that was easier for me to adapt to BS. I.e. unable of installing Separate Pricing Per Customer due to its complexity for my scarce programming abilities, instead I installed raiwa's  Wholesale (SPPC lite)  which is enough for me.   

Shopowner, not coder, experienced copypaster  :D

• 2 years later...

is there any gift card module. we can use to send to customers so that they can enable the amount by using the code print in the card (we will shipped to the customers). i have 1000 printed cards with card numbers like we have amazon gift cards with number backside. i want to sell them to my customers and with this gift amount they can purchase my store products.

Both Discount Codes and Gift Vouchers will do that. You just need to create the coupon code for the card. They both allow for a certain number of uses per code and customer so you can control how it gets used.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We are running osC 2.3.4.1 in connection with a template https://shop.hnlcorp.com

We want to do promotions with coupon codes and therefore I downloaded the recommended Discount_Codes_4.3.1_BS, but I don't feel competent to install it. I don't even know if it is compatible with what we have online.

May I ask if someone can install it for me? There used to be a site here where one could post such requests, but I can't find it anymore.

Kindest regards,

Christiane

I'm not sure that addon will work in your version but you could ask in its support thread to be sure. The commercial section is located here.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 5 months later...

@madsciand @Christiane N or anyone else - The Gift Vouchers Secure addon has been released in case you still need it.

@Kevin.Dallas - You should post support questions for an addon in that addons support thread. The people that use it, as well as its programmer, are more likely to see your question there. Also, there are several versions of Discount Coupons (or Codes) so you need to be sure to get the correct thread.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 5 months later...