• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Friendly Urls - a new approach

gadlol

Hello fellow osCommercians.

This is the support topic for the addon SEO Friendly Urls.

SEO Friendly Urls is a new addon for the osCommerce CMS that will change the default urls into what a modern website's urls should be! (at least that's what I think)

I will shortly add the zip file into addons page. (I just wan tto grab this topic link in order to add it into the addons page)

Example: of SEO Friendly Urls:

www.mystore.com/product_info.php?products_id=17

will be

www.mystore.com/scarves/oval-crystal-scarf

Urls possible structure examples : *

• www.mydomain.com/category-alias
  • www.mydomain.com/category-alias/sub-category-alias
  • www.mydomain.com/category-alias/sub-category-alias/sub-category-alias
  • www.mydomain.com/category-alias/sub-category-alias/sub-sub-category-alias/sub-sub-sub-category-alias
  • e.t.c.
  • www.mydomain.com/product-alias
  • www.mydomain.com/category-alias/product-alias
  • www.mydomain.com/category-alias/sub-category-alias/product-alias
  • www.mydomain.com/category-alias/sub-category-alias/sub-category-alias/product-alias
  • www.mydomain.com/category-alias/sub-category-alias/sub-sub-category-alias/sub-sub-sub-category-alias/product-alias
  • e.t.c.

* Can also add any desired extension. Can also add language alias.

Example with language alias: www.mydomain.com/en/category-alias/product-alias

Extras: You can also create alias for core pages such as specials.php, reviews.php

For example you could change specials.php to specials (www.mystore.com/specials)

-------------------

EDITED: Here is the addons link:  http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9371

P.S. I did not added this topic url to the addons page. Damn, I forgot.

P.S. I hope I don't break any rule this time.

Edited by gadlol

Check out the great Alternative Administration System addon for osCommerce!

I think full sub cat url path may not be a good idea like it once was anymore...

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/336702-ultimate-seo-urls-5-by-fwr-media/?p=1734094

I had FWR's USU5 doing that but after 6 months we saw our product page ranking dropped so I had decided to change it back and get our products reindexed again...there is a good read on that in the post above.

I think the most ultimate SEO package would be to also include header tags, and html and xml sitemap and etc...in a perfect world, I would be more than glad to do a search in the OSC plugins tab, pay for the module, click install and have all the SEO stuffs I wanted for a store...I like to spend my time building non-standard features that separate a store from the rest...

• www.mydomain.com/category-alias/product-alias
  • www.mydomain.com/category-alias/sub-category-alias/product-alias
  • www.mydomain.com/category-alias/sub-category-alias/sub-category-alias/product-alias
  • www.mydomain.com/category-alias/sub-category-alias/sub-sub-category-alias/sub-sub-sub-category-alias/product-alias
  • e.t.c.

BTW, I think you re working on two very important modules to my OSC based stores...SEOURL and product filtering...good work there!!!

Hi TIm, thank you for your good words.

P.S. 1 : I have updated the installation guide so to include one more step that I forgot.

Those of you who found problems please re download the file: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9371

The new step is about a small change to product_info.php so the product page to get aliased.

P.S. 2 : Products Filters is on its way and its GREAT!!!!

Edited by gadlol

Hi TIm, thank you for your good words.

P.S. 1 : I have updated the installation guide so to include one more step that I forgot.

Those of you who found problems please re download the file: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9371

The new step is about a small change to product_info.php so the product page to get aliased.

Hi

I have installed the add on and got everything working, including the mod above but I now find that the breadcrumb is missing from my product page and the product details are all on the left of the screen. I am using osc 2.3.4 BS

Not sure what is is that would be blocking the breadcrumb trail from showing, any tips greatly appreciated.

I can post a code snippet that may help.

Kind regards Andy

Hi

I have installed the add on and got everything working, including the mod above but I now find that the breadcrumb is missing from my product page and the product details are all on the left of the screen. I am using osc 2.3.4 BS

Not sure what is is that would be blocking the breadcrumb trail from showing, any tips greatly appreciated.

I can post a code snippet that may help.

Kind regards Andy

Hi Andy is there an online link so I can check it? Although I dont think it has to do with my addon.

Firstly can I just say that this is a great idea and something I've been looking for for a long time. Thank you.

However I am coming up against some trouble using it in my site. I previously used Ultimate SEO URLS 5 Pro and decided to remove that and install this contribution. Followed the instructions to both remove the old add on and add this. It works but it painstakingly slow. A page can take a few minutes to load. I'm not using HTTPS and as soon as I disable the friendly urls, the site is again loading quick. I checked and double checked the installations and made sure I removed the previous add on. Any suggestions? Could really use some help... Also, how does it work if I buy the Pro version. Something I'm very interested in doing as this is a very good add on.

Ah, the world wide web. What a wonderful place.

Firstly can I just say that this is a great idea and something I've been looking for for a long time. Thank you.

However I am coming up against some trouble using it in my site. I previously used Ultimate SEO URLS 5 Pro and decided to remove that and install this contribution. Followed the instructions to both remove the old add on and add this. It works but it painstakingly slow. A page can take a few minutes to load. I'm not using HTTPS and as soon as I disable the friendly urls, the site is again loading quick. I checked and double checked the installations and made sure I removed the previous add on. Any suggestions? Could really use some help... Also, how does it work if I buy the Pro version. Something I'm very interested in doing as this is a very good add on.

Hi Richard,

I dont know why it takes a few mins to load. That is strange, never mentioned that before. can you send me a link so to check it?

Note: I am currently debugging the version 2 of SEO Friendly Urls which contains many improvements and new features such as manufacturers aliasing. Another great feature is the ability to add a backslash at the end of urls instead of extension.

I would suggest to wait a day in order to apply the new version and then we will see about the slow loading.

P.S. Other edition comes with cache mechanism so that could be a solution.

Thats great. I will await your next version before fiddling too much. I try your add on on a fresh, clean install and it worked fine. Maybe there's a conflict somewhere. Thanks for the reply...

Tried re-installing your add on and found I get these errors when I try to navigate to a category page for the first time.If I refresh the page  the errors clear, the configuration data is added to the tables and the urls do work, it's just that it takes around 1-2 minutes for the page to load onse the add-on is enabled in the admin. I suspect it's something to do with the class file.

Hope this helps:

Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn't find constant SEO_FRIENDLY_URLS_STATUS in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/includes/classes/seo_friendly_urls.php on line 791

Warning: is_dir() [function.is-dir]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/..) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/:/tmp/) in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/includes/classes/seo_friendly_urls.php on line 916

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/includes/classes/seo_friendly_urls.php:791) in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/includes/classes/seo_friendly_urls.php on line 814

Tried re-installing your add on and found I get these errors when I try to navigate to a category page for the first time.If I refresh the page  the errors clear, the configuration data is added to the tables and the urls do work, it's just that it takes around 1-2 minutes for the page to load onse the add-on is enabled in the admin. I suspect it's something to do with the class file.

Hope this helps:

Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn't find constant SEO_FRIENDLY_URLS_STATUS in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/includes/classes/seo_friendly_urls.php on line 791

Warning: is_dir() [function.is-dir]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/..) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/:/tmp/) in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/includes/classes/seo_friendly_urls.php on line 916

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/includes/classes/seo_friendly_urls.php:791) in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/includes/classes/seo_friendly_urls.php on line 814

First fix the open_basedir restriction: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1846882/open-basedir-restriction-in-effect-file-is-not-within-the-allowed-paths

Secondly check to see if the SEO  Friendly Urls configurations have been installed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried to fix open_basedir restriction but this caused  a 500 server error. I can confirm that the SEO Friendly URLS configurations are indeed installed. As I pointed out, the add-on works, it's just the apparent long time it takes to render/load the page. URLs are working as expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow oscommercians.

Thank you for your kind words about the addon. I received great feedback about it.

I want to inform you about the new upcoming version 2.0.0 which includes features you've requested and bugs you've reported fixed.

New features:

Ability to alias the manufacturers pages.
Ability to enable or disable aliases for products.
Ability to enable or disable aliases for categories.
Ability to enable or disable aliases for manufacturers.
Ability to enable or disable aliases for pages.
Handle not found urls as simple redirect to other pages without 404 status code.
Handle not found urls as 404 include page with 404 status code.
Ability to add extension for products.
Ability to add extension for categories.
Ability to add extension for manufacturers.
Ability to add extension for pages.
Ability to add a backslash "/" instead of extension. ( Ability to exclude / if url has GET variables )
Lower or Upper case auto created aliases.
Duplicate alias fix.
Ability to re-index pages in the root so to make new pages available for aliasing.
Ability to redirect index.php to the domain so not to have index.php in the address bar at all.
Ability to hide index.php while constructing urls. If found FILENAME_DEFAULT (index.php) then does not add it in the urls.

Please stay tuned as this GREAT ( based on your sayings ) addon is getting better and better.

P.S. If you want to test the version 2.0.0 pre release, just sent me P.M.

• 2 weeks later...

will it work with osCommerce 2.2-MS2?

Hi Fredrik. I dont know if it will work in osCommerce 2.2-MS2 I have not test it.

In the addons page you can find the new version 2.0.0 http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9371 

Install that on your osCommerce 2.2-MS2 and send me a message so to check it.

• 2 months later...

hi

is this working and anyone have a demo?

thanks

Hi vampire,

you can find a demo here.

If you need more information just send me P.M.

P.S. I know for sure that several osCommerce admins use my addon. If you need their opinion I can get you in contact with some of them (those who want to)...

Hi vampire,

you can find a demo here.

If you need more information just send me P.M.

P.S. I know for sure that several osCommerce admins use my addon. If you need their opinion I can get you in contact with some of them (those who want to)...

cool thanks.

is it ok to use your plugin alongside the Header Tags SEO plugin by Jackmcs?

and whats the main features with your plugin that can be done compared with the more older plugins that were doing SEO URL's?

i read that the older plugins are just too messed up to work on Bootstrap edge oscommerce?

Edited by vampirehunter

cool thanks.

is it ok to use your plugin alongside the Header Tags SEO plugin by Jackmcs?

and whats the main features with your plugin that can be done compared with the more older plugins that were doing SEO URL's?

i read that the older plugins are just too messed up to work on Bootstrap edge oscommerce?

I dont know if its ok to use along with the Header Tags SEO plugin because I have not test it with that. You can do so and tell me. In general I dont think that it will be a problem.

"i read that the older plugins are just too messed up to work on Bootstrap edge oscommerce?" Thats why I created that addon. My addon is very simple to install, only one file in the classes folder (seo_friendly_urls.php), and a few minor changes into 2 other files.

For main features e.t.c. check this page. Make sure you check the options table at the bottom.

Really love this addon. But, you knew there would be a but didn't you. For some strange reason when I have SEO Friendly URLS enabled alongside 'HeaderTags SEO V 3.2.9 ( I originally had this installed) all meta tags on the product_info page disappear. Every other page leading up to that page work fine. The url is produced as expected but no meta tags. Any thoughts on this? I have tried to remove HeaderTags SEO but it caused all kinds of problems on my store.

Thanks and keep up the good work..

Hi,

Your seo url doesn´t suport conversions like Ç - C (Latin Caractere)?

Congratulations, nice addon

Regards,

Marcelo

I did, helped or traslate.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/profile/104964

My english it´s só poor, but of you need help in portuguese, like shipping and payment that´s make a diference in brazil, come one,

Obrigado (thank´s)

Hi,

Your seo url doesn´t suport conversions like Ç - C (Latin Caractere)?

Congratulations, nice addon

Regards,

Marcelo

Hello Marcelo,

it actually does support conversions like that.

In current version those conversions are hard coded and applied only when you set auto create alias to true (default) and "Transliterate characters to ASCII" to true (default)

For example:

here are the transliterations for Turkish and Ukrainian languages:

// Turkish
        'Ş' => 'S', 'İ' => 'I', 'Ç' => 'C', 'Ü' => 'U', 'Ö' => 'O', 'Ğ' => 'G',
        'ş' => 's', 'ı' => 'i', 'ç' => 'c', 'ü' => 'u', 'ö' => 'o', 'ğ' => 'g',
        // Ukrainian
        'Є' => 'Ye', 'І' => 'I', 'Ї' => 'Yi', 'Ґ' => 'G',
        'є' => 'ye', 'і' => 'i', 'ї' => 'yi', 'ґ' => 'g',

Those can be found in the function create_alias line 762

In the next version there will be an option to load transliterations from txt file or db so you can easily alter those...

Edited by gadlol

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

This is a great contribution and it works really well. Does the PRO version support the product_reviews.php page?

Currently I have ""http://www.yoursite.com/reviews/product-name"

regards

Kenny

Hi 

This is a great contribution and it works really well. Does the PRO version support the product_reviews.php page?

Currently I have ""http://www.yoursite.com/reviews/product-name"

regards

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Unfortunately  in current version there is no ability to get what you want. Instead you can do: http://yoursite.com/review?products_id=19

I did not foresee that need and thats why I did not code it. But if you want I can code it for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, having a little difficulty in getting my not found urls to go where I want them. Ok, in the admin I have set the not found url method to equal '404 include page' and set the page for any 404 errors toa custom page. When I try and use this I just get a blank page. I've tried resetting the alias cache file but it's not working. Previously any unfound page went to the index.php page but I'm getting complaints from Google that I'm not using a 404 status code hence the change I'm trying to carry out. Any ideas?