• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Excessive Bandwith being used

zefeena

I have been told that I need to go to the admin and boxes/modules and sort it there, but all I can do there is switch the modules on or off, I cannot control how many pictures are loaded.  I have gone onto the maximum values and reduced the amount of 'new products' to show etc, and turned off numerous modules.  I now have the banners turned off, the scroller, off, many of the modules off.

I have half a website now!

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's necessary to turn all your functionality off. For example your banners, you can still use them, just make sure that the images for them are optimised.

You have social bookmarks in your footer, which is part of your theme. Then you have the same bookmarks duplicated by header tags SEO. There should be an option in Admin to turn the header tags SEO bookmarks off.

@@zefeena your site is much better - 20s load instead of 101s load but it is still overloading images on the homepage with far too many http requests - THAT IS THE PROBLEM THAT YOUR DEVELOPER NEEDS TO SORT OUT:

MIME Type Requests image 1076 js 27 css 19 html 9 font 3 flash 0 other 0

MIME Type Bytes image 5894798 js 995121 css 209562 html 142395 font 135838 flash 0 other

as a comparison my site only has 62 image requests on the home page.........

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

The main problem is the big carousel on your front page which I presume is loading every product on the site along with its image - it's generating 72,000 lines of html.

If you have any control over it in your admin you should turn it off or reduce what's displayed to maybe half a dozen products.

Otherwise, it needs the code of your site changing to sort it out.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

I'm not sure which 'big carousel' you mean.  I have switched off all the banners, and most of the modules.  I do not have any control of the amount of images it seems, just install or uninstall for the 'whats new', 'specials' etc, modules.

If you mean the 'from the blog thing' I have no idea where to find the code for it.  I cannot find those images anywhere, and I have spent agaes looking

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

Somebody needs to log into your store and look around; that's always the problem with a theme that deviates from the core code of osCommerce. Your source code suggests that you are using thumbs in certain places at least. /images/thumbs/

I sent you another PM.

I'm not sure which 'big carousel' you mean.  I have switched off all the banners, and most of the modules.  I do not have any control of the amount of images it seems, just install or uninstall for the 'whats new', 'specials' etc, modules.

If you mean the 'from the blog thing' I have no idea where to find the code for it.  I cannot find those images anywhere, and I have spent agaes looking

Sorry, not very precise of me... there are several carousels (slideshow things) that come out on your page, and at least one more that doesn't come out.

The bandwidth issue with carousels is that they usually load all the images with the page, so you need to keep the number of items in them to a smallish number as well as keeping images a sensible size.

One of yours seems to be going crazy and pulling out all the products in your store. The output seems to begin

<div id="bestsellers_slider">
   <div id="carousel_bestsellers" class="es-carousel-wrapper">

so see if there's a bestselllers module and if you can restrict the number shown in it, or turn it off altogether and see if that helps your immediate problem. Then get your developer to sort it out!

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

@@zefeena Looks like you might have it sorted out - just checked your site again and a VAST speed improvement and layout looks better - what sorted it out in the end?

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@burt  has nipped on and sorted it out. 

Not sure what he did - something that worked, so that's good enough for me.

I will go through my images and reduce their size at some point, as there are a couple that are bigger than they need to be, but for the moment I will just get on with trying to make up for lost sales.

Thank you everyone for the input, very much appreciated.

Kellie

Dresscode theme is incredibly poorly coded - looks nice, but underneath...shocking.

Programmer chosen by Zefeena compounded the problem by amending loads more core code.

All in all, FUBAR.

Archived