• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Excessive Bandwith being used

zefeena

@@zefeena

Kellie, as others have mentioned, you unfortunately made a bad choice with your new online store. And, as you have said, sales are down as a result.

If you stay with what you have, your business will suffer. I know you don't want to hear this, but it would be better to 'bite the bullet' and start over.

If you do not have the time, skills, or resources to build your new site, it may be faster and cheaper to hire someone to build one for you. There are a number of fantastic programmers and developers here that can do that for you.

It hurts to have to admit that you made a poor choice. It will hurt more to not make a better choice now.

Malcolm

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I didn't just pay for the template, I paid for the install, and numerous add-ons to be put on with a years hosting, just under $1000. I feel somewhat shafted quite frankly. 

If I was to make a dress for someone, I wouldn't give them it incomplete, and tell them to put the zip in themselves! 

I could not get the normal version of the website to work with the Paypal, this is why I moved my host.  I am not a programmer, if things go wrong I cannot fix them, and after weeks of posts on here, the only solution was to start again.  That was the whole point of paying someone else, who I presumed knew what they were doing!

I cannot afford for my website to go offline again.  and to install the necessary add-ons to get it as it is  now will take me weeks and only if it all goes well - which it won't!.  My internet is extremely slow, around 0.2MB on a good day.

I came on here before when it was broken - the advice I was given was to get a new host, go SSL.  I have and things are no better. 

If I knew moving to a new host was the answer i'd do it again (third time lucky - why not!), but I have no idea what is wrong, just that I'm now being asked for more money in order to fix it! The host is saying it is data skimmers, never had that issue before, so I don't know if its true.  But I've used 30GB in 8 days and only 2gb appears to be actual customers.

I cannot face further programming.  I had about 4 weeks of it in April, failure upon failure, and I got so stressed with the loss of business I was falling apart.  This is my livelihood.  I have NO other income, and no-one to support me financially if it fails.  I cannot express the importance of getting my business back on track, so if anyone as some practical advice that does not involve hours of programming or handing over large sums of money with no guarantee of improvement, please do let me know.

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

So who are these amazing programmers Malcom.  I got my host/programmer from here!!!!

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

So who are these amazing programmers Malcom.  I got my host/programmer from here!!!!

I do not know who you used, and I'm not sure that it would be wise (or even in keeping with the forum guidelines) to mention their name here.

There are several here that I would use if I were in your position, but if I were to mention names, it could be seen as an endorsement.

Can you get the developer you hired to 'fix' the problem(s)? To me, it seems like (s)he did not deliver what you hired them to do ... to give you a working shop. If they say they can't, or they want more money, that tells you a lot about them.

Otherwise, I can only suggest that you post a request in Commercial Support Enquiries  with a link back to this thread. Check the references from anyone that makes a proposal. You can check out the feedback for some of the developers here in the 'Developer Feedback' area ...  http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/forum/99-developer-feedback/

I wish you luck!

Malcolm

Does the site work fine apart from the bandwidth issue i.e Paypal - the reason you decided to make the switch? Why not just try resizing the images, to gauge the effect?

Does the site work fine apart from the bandwidth issue i.e Paypal - the reason you decided to make the switch? Why not just try resizing the images, to gauge the effect?

Site okay ish - but extremely slow to load, and seems to cause problems for mac users if they want to change their shipping address.  Also none of my emails are forwarded, nor do customers get their emails.  and I've tried every combination in the set up (I had made a note of previous settings on my old website, which worked fine)

The bandwidth is an immediate problem as i'm using 30GB per week, yet not taking any orders (customers don't normally leave my site without buying, if they are on there more than a few minutes)

Most of the images are gifs under 300px  300px, what size do you recommend? I don't think anyone will be able to make out what the pictures are if they get any smaller!

I have my small images at approx 4K 100px x 100px, and product page pics approx 6k 200px x 200px.

Sort out your images, even if you use sizes slightly bigger than above. You will see that your bandwidth issue will improve or be resolved completely even. Maybe then your customers will stay long enough to complete their orders.

Try adding this to your htacces and see what difference it makes:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8927

@@zefeena I know who you used for the work, and Im surprised it has turned out this way - as Im sure others would be if they knew the person that you used - who is a regular poster and contribution creator.

What you need now is a knight in shining armour (or Fez, or Fruit) to come to your rescue.........

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

I'm pretty disappointed.  I did expect a shiny new super duper website.  Obviously that was too great an expectation.  That's the best thing about doing things yourself, you don't expect too much if you are crap at something.  and i'm pretty crap at web stuff!

I'm currently learning about picture optimisation!  Very boring - but I think I've managed to make an 'action' on photoshop to batch process them.  thanks to a very happy looking Asian guy!  and then he suggests that pics are smushed, so why not, not got anything else to do - not exactly weighed under with orders here!

Got to laugh, or you'll cry!!

Go to Smush.it! from your browser (full URL: http://www.smushit.com/ysmush.it/).

My first website was the basic template plus what I thought were useful add ons.  I never added anything that was remotely techy, because I don't know anything about that sort of stuff.  so no SEO (got one now though!), no photo optimisation, just stuff like price break, fancy invoice, reports etc. 

Nothing to do with making my business more popular or my website quicker, it did that by itself so I never interfered.  Never had a problem with spam or hacks or anything - maybe just been lucky - and now my lucks run out!

The reason you may not have had a problem with these pics on your old site, may be because you had a thumbnailer installed, and now don't.

Did you install the htaccess code i pointed to above, and did it make a difference?

If someone is helping you with SEO, point out to them that your site is accessible via http://sewingchest.co.ukand http://www.sewingchest.co.uk   It should be one or the other. There's code on the forum available to fix that.

Hi,  I wouldn't exactly say i'm being 'helped'.  I had an seo header add-on installed when my website was re-done.  But really i'm not sure what it does, I only wanted it, as I understood I could add a little general info to the category, though I hven't yet figured out how, so to be honest I pretty much ignore it!

I definitely didn't have any photo optimisation stuff, I didn't even know what that meant until about an hour ago!

In Admin, where you go to edit the categories, you will see an input box there to add text - for a category description. Photo optimisation just means don't use big pics that take forever to load  :lol:

Seriously I have downloaded the images into a folder on my computer.  12 are between 300-800kb, the rest are under 270kb, ranging from 4kb - 200kb mostly.  Unless there is another folder somewhere with enormous images then I really don't think that's it. 

In fact, I added some of the images in the html code in the listing, because I actually put the full domain address in it (because I really didn't know what I was doing, but it worked so I stuck with it), and I have now changed domain so none of those images load at all, as the link is broken.

I presume that wouldn't affect anything,   http://sewingchest.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2827  

Note the little x's where the images are supposed to be.  Many of the pattern listing are like this, I will edit them at some point, but just seems like it might use more bandwidth - and I've used another 6GB today despite only having half a dozen customers visit all day!

The htaccess code didn't seem to change anything, I went on the gtmetrix, and again it timed out!

My admin panel loads up fine, and the whole process of adding new products takes no longer than it used to, the loading problem does only seem to affect the customer side - which I guess brings us back to the dresscode theme.  I have emailed those guys, but they tend not to want to discuss anything with me as I wasn't the purchaser of the theme - i didn't want to get the wrong thing so that was purchased for me and the cost added in to my bill.  another error i guess.

The webhost has offered me a refund of my unused hosting fees!     - My interpretation of that was, I was being told to  'F*** o** elsewhere'!

that apparently is the best solution they have to offer me, so now i'm feeling pretty despondent with the whole thing.

In Admin, where you go to edit the categories, you will see an input box there to add text - for a category description. Photo optimisation just means don't use big pics that take forever to load  :lol:

No - not seeing any boxes! I presume you mean to click on catalog/products

as for big pics - have you looked at my pictures?  they are the crappiest low res pics ever, barely discernable as anything!

Pretty poor! Disable those social bookmarking buttons at the bottom of the page and try again.

I can't see these book marks - my website never loads at all for me!  so i'm not sure what i'm supposed to me editing, and if its part of that dresscode theme, i'll never find them!

its set to false.  I think i have disabled the long list of social book parks, that was part of the seo add-on!

Enabled, compression 5

The bookmarks can stay disabled forever for me.  Twitter and facebook are something i really don't understand - pointless!

Well it not loading up at all now, for me.  that could, of course, be my rubbish internet.  That's the problem, i never know if its an error with the site or my isp.  Its not uncommon for us to lose internet for a couple of days, and certainly it will go at a snails pace for aleast a few hours each day, when i just give it up as a bad job!

Archived