• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Just found this on Gary's website. So what happens next?

14steve14

@@iTea

That is a decision that has to be made by lots of shop owners. Its not easy to make when you do not have all the information available to you. Whilst I know there is a responsive version of oscommerce out there, how close it is to what is officially planned no one knows. I am also fully aware that google is putting pressure on many store owners, as I have also received these emails, and it is worrying. Doing nothing could harm my business. Do I spent time and money on something that may need it all doing again as soon as something official comes out, who knows.

What you do to get a responsive site it really depends on how many of your customers use small devices.

I hope you figure it out, because I cant as there seems to be no official statement from those in charge here. Gary who was a very good spokes person between the people an this site and the coding team has unfortunately decided that he can no longer spare the time, so I guess we will all have to sit it out until someone from up on high lets us know whats happening, or as you say, go else where.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I whisper something: we were we are and we will be working on next releases.

Some forumers use 2014's summer BS developer version as a live shop from 2014-08 without any problem.

Your choice is that you are proactive or inactive. BS code is free and out more over than 9 months.

Raiwa's Mobile addon version is older. LOL.

What we are talking about?

Development stated at begining of 2014 that v2.4 wont be compatible with old addons. If v2.4 official will be out what will you do again?

v2.4 will be a software version change. This is not the same as was the upgrade from 2.3 to 2.3.4.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

I was away last week when the shit hit the fan. And so haven't made any comment (but did watch it "painfully" unfold) - so here is my 2 cents;

I've been around these forums for 6 years (mostly as a lurker until the past 2 or 3 years). There has ALWAYS been some level uncertainty with OsC and (IMO) and there ALWAYS will be. This uncertainty has come in the form of "scamming" (trolling) programers, "infamous" programers, attitudes and more.

This is the same with ANY opensource community. If you want a warm fussy feeling (of certainty) - Magneto, Shopify and a host of others are more than willing to take your money.

However, you will also find a price tag to match this certainty. For the software, the addon code and support etc etc...

With OsC there is give and take. Literately. Some give, some give and take other just take. It is what it is.... Gary happened to be one that mostly "gave". If for his own benefit or not... who knows. But I believe he was looking to create  an OsC software that was one step ahead - and succeed.

As to the bootstrap version... I really don't understand what all the ruckus is about. Everyone is hung up on "bootstrap" is it the future, is it now dead....  and I see it differently - bootstrap is the framework NOT the foundation (think the frame of a house.... everything within the "house" is more or less the same).

Bootstrap handles a mobile first responsive design that moves the elements of the "house" based on the screen size for the best possible "viewing" . Grid360 does not - it serves up the same view no matter the screen size.

The foundation of OsC inside the bootstrap version is the SAME!!!!!!

I'm moving forward with my bootstrap build and going to hopefully build it with as few core changes as possible - knowing this is where the future of OsC is going - a modular software "foundation" that will be easier to maintain then ever.

Read this somewhere: "The general consensus is that although osCommerce was the Model T that started it all, it simply does not compare to the more advanced and improved open-source shopping carts available today.".

Although we can make a lot of complicated comments on this rather simple statement, in its virgin install osCommerce does seem to present itself in this way. 

All kinds of carts have built-in basic features which you have to first manually integrate in osCommerce, taking care not to kill your shop or other add-ons in the process. Features like X-selling, gift vouchers, wishlists, SEO, customer approval and more. And usually responsive as a theme, not as a complete workover of the code.

There should be a lean and mean, robust and basic code with a stack of seperate turn-key add-ons. Some for free, some for a flat fee (please, no monthly payments), some policy for updates, quality system. Easier said that done probably, since I'm not a coder, but maybe not that difficult either given the output of Gary and others in a relatively short time. 

We don't mind paying for a warm and fussy feeling with osCommerce at all. But don't make the price to high. There's strength in numbers, we sell a lot of products both in retail and hospitality for relatively low prices and margins. CodeCanyon has lots of examples where a good piece of code doesn't have to cost the world (Dutch saying, translates very badly). It's all about feel good eCommerce, accessible, low-cost, great community, good support, ease of install and management. Maybe osCommerce was overtaken left and right by some fast track eCommerce platforms, but we can put the paddle to the metal (again).

Trying to, but what can I do, as a ever so humble shops owner... throw some clubs in the hen house (another fine Dutch expression that doesn't translate so well).

Bootstrap or one of the other countless mobile responsive frameworks available can be added/integrated into  existing oscommerce shops, so that can also be a valid option for those who have a little bit coding skills and are in a hurry to appease google.

Potential freedoms - I am sure the community can put the hive mind to it and think of others.

Move to other software.

Code osCommerce to your satisfaction.

Drink beer.

Post more words.

Do nothing.

I wouldn't hesitate to use burt's  bootstrap version now if you see benefit in standardizing on bootstrap to be future proof, but if you are just looking for a responisve solution, I think you can look for responsive solutions based around 960.gs

The main 960.gs points to some, google also gives this one

https://github.com/tylerwolff/960-Responsive-Grid

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Archived