• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Purchase Without Account Updated & Admin Functionality

Sorry, after going back and reading your post again.....

The change in header.php we are talking about is the same. Why would ya need to add that to application_top? That code is already in header.php(except with PWA installed it blocks LOGOFF from showing when using PWA) and works fine. Thanks

why block logoff for pwa?

Treasurer MFC

Well, thats what the PWA contribution(at least V.91 that I installed) does by default.

Ive only been trying to understand if actually having the logoff option there for PWA users would cause any issues that im not aware of. For one I realize that if they would use it in the middle of a PWA checkout, their customer data would stay in the database(wouldnt get deleted since they didnt complete order). Would there be any other side effects? For instance.....if they did come back after using logoff in PWA and tried to use PWA again, would it throw a fit because their old info is still in the database and PWA would want to make them sign in to their existing account?

Understand what im getting at?

Well, thats what the PWA contribution(at least V.91 that I installed) does by default.

Ive only been trying to understand if actually having the logoff option there for PWA users would cause any issues that im not aware of. For one I realize that if they would use it in the middle of a PWA checkout, their customer data would stay in the database(wouldnt get deleted since they didnt complete order). Would there be any other side effects? For instance.....if they did come back after using logoff in PWA and tried to use PWA again, would it throw a fit because their old info is still in the database and PWA would want to make them sign in to their existing account?

Understand what im getting at?

if they do not checkout and leave your site after having entered their info you have the same situation which should be covered by the default install.

if pwa has no logoff, pwa's who enter their data wrong have no option to correct that but to close the browser to kill the session and start again.

Treasurer MFC

if pwa has no logoff, pwa's who enter their data wrong have no option to correct that but to close the browser to kill the session and start again.

Yes, how long does it take to kill the session though? Im guessing the typical impatient customer that wants to just 'start all over' will close the browser and immediately reopen and reenter the site to start over. The problem is that the site opens back up to the same point where they left....all their info still in database and whatever they had in the cart still there.

I guess that even if they have the LOGOFF option avaialable......if they used that then started over, as soon as they entered their info again for a PWA checkout, the cart would want them to login as a regualr user since they have their old PWA sitting in the database from their first attempt? I havnt tried this yet....but im guessing thats what will happen.

Seems like we need the LOGOFF option avaiable for PWA users, but when they use it it dumps their data out of the database the same way as it would if they finished their checkout.

....or am I way off base here? :P

Yes, how long does it take to kill the session though? Im guessing the typical impatient customer that wants to just 'start all over' will close the browser and immediately reopen and reenter the site to start over. The problem is that the site opens back up to the same point where they left....all their info still in database and whatever they had in the cart still there.

I guess that even if they have the LOGOFF option avaialable......if they used that then started over, as soon as they entered their info again for a PWA checkout, the cart would want them to login as a regualr user since they have their old PWA sitting in the database from their first attempt? I havnt tried this yet....but im guessing thats what will happen.

Seems like we need the LOGOFF option avaiable for PWA users, but when they use it it dumps their data out of the database the same way as it would if they finished their checkout.

....or am I way off base here? :P

the only difference between registered users and pwa is that for pwa users the customer information is irrelevant and as such the email address is no longer a unique feature.

so you let a pwa customer signin but only check whether their email address exist for a registered user.

if it does, you give an error. if it exists for a pwa customer, nobody cares.

for pwa you block account stuff, alter the emails a little and you eventually remove their customer data either after checkout or if the same email address is entered again in pwa mode. But this removal is only cleaning up and for legal reasons and has nothing to do with the functionality of pwa.

so if you use the logoff link for pwa as well, you can choose which data is discarded. The user can then enter that data again without having to leave the browser. He can enter the very same email address even if at that time that still exists in the database from his last attempt.

you can ofcourse just tell your stuck pwa customer that they need to close their browser and try again but if I encounter such service advice, I wonder if I would try again.

Treasurer MFC

so you let a pwa customer signin but only check whether their email address exist for a registered user.

if it does, you give an error. if it exists for a pwa customer, nobody cares.

for pwa you block account stuff, alter the emails a little and you eventually remove their customer data either after checkout or if the same email address is entered again in pwa mode. But this removal is only cleaning up and for legal reasons and has nothing to do with the functionality of pwa.

so if you use the logoff link for pwa as well, you can choose which data is discarded. The user can then enter that data again without having to leave the browser. He can enter the very same email address even if at that time that still exists in the database from his last attempt.

you can ofcourse just tell your stuck pwa customer that they need to close their browser and try again but if I encounter such service advice, I wonder if I would try again.

Ahhh, I see. I didnt know that OSC knows the difference between the an account that was created normally or one that was left over from a discarded PWA customer.

Once the person tried PWA a second time and uses the same email address, in my cart it does not delete the last PWA account that had the same email in it...should it?

If a customer closes the browser and comes back to the store, nothing changes....should it?

Thanks for your time, as always.

Ahhh, I see. I didnt know that OSC knows the difference between the an account that was created normally or one that was left over from a discarded PWA customer.

Once the person tried PWA a second time and uses the same email address, in my cart it does not delete the last PWA account that had the same email in it...should it?

If a customer closes the browser and comes back to the store, nothing changes....should it?

Thanks for your time, as always.

yes, in the customers table there is a field called purchased_without_account (unnecessary long but still).

so in the original pwa, if a customer signs in via pwa, the check is made if that email address already exists. if it does with that field set to 1 (is pwa), that account is immediately deleted along with address info etc. (this because the customer apparently did not checkout last time so that info could not be deleted at that time). If it exists with that field set to 0 (is registered customer), the "already exists" message should show.

what do you mean with "nothing changes"?

Treasurer MFC

so in the original pwa, if a customer signs in via pwa, the check is made if that email address already exists. if it does with that field set to 1 (is pwa), that account is immediately deleted along with address info etc. (this because the customer apparently did not checkout last time so that info could not be deleted at that time). If it exists with that field set to 0 (is registered customer), the "already exists" message should show.

what do you mean with "nothing changes"?

I mean nothing changes in that if your going through PWA checkout and just close the browser, then re-enter the site....all of your cart contents and customer info are still loaded into the cart. You can just click 'checkout' and start right back through checkout where you left off.

As for the first part of your reply above......I can start checkout using PWA, then LOGOFF. I then can reenter the site and start a PWA checkout again....and it doesnt delete the old customer info from the first attempt, it just creates another customer account. Im not sure if this happens if you enter ALL the customer info the same the second time around, but if one letter of a name or anything is different it doesnt delete the first PWA customer account that has the same email address in it.....it creates another customer account. Your saying it should delete the first PWA account if the email addresses are the same?

I just finished installing this contribution and it seems to be working good. However, the option to change the billing address in checkout_payment is no longer available. Anyone know how to get it back? Thanks in advance.

Also, if anyone know of a contribution that immediatly asks for both billing and shipping address (with an optional checkbox that says the shipping address is the same as billing) would be great.

Shade and Sweet Water

Chris Czerniak

Ok, I found the problem is in this line. In the read me file it says to replace:

<td class="main" width="50%" valign="top"><?php echo TEXT_CHOOSE_SHIPPING_DESTINATION . '<br><br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING_ADDRESS, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image_button('button_change_address.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CHANGE_ADDRESS) . '</a>'; ?></td>

with

<td class="main" width="50%" valign="top"><?php echo (($customer_id==='0')? ' ':TEXT_CHOOSE_SHIPPING_DESTINATION . '<br><br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING_ADDRESS, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image_button('button_change_address.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CHANGE_ADDRESS) . '</a>'); ?></td>

However, this causes nothing to appear.

shippingproblem_osc.gif

Shade and Sweet Water

Chris Czerniak

OK, im now, for whatever reason, having a major problem. I havnt changed anything that I think would possibly effect this.....only did a change to the contact us page and a change to the USPS shipping module file.

For some reason 'customer_id' is not getting registered when somebody logs in. So account info isnt available, order history isnt available, etc. Pretty weird.....everything was working last time I checked...and now it doesnt and I have no clue as to why.

Anybody know why the customer id wouldnt get set during a login?? Anything needing 'tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')' no longer works :o >_<

possibly also worth mentioning.....

I tried another login. The previous one I used didnt have any orders placed on it, but this one does. It DOES show the order history. It DOES NOT show anything else like ACCOUNT in the header, my loginbox, LOGOFF.....anything else that I can think of that should show when customer_id is registered.

Actually, I think that 'noaccount' is STAYING registered, even after logging off. That would seem to fit the probem alittle better. I was creating accounts using PWA doing some testing....any reason why 'noaccount' would stay registered?

Edited by Sid04

Definetly the 'noaccount' issue. I added:

tep_session_unregister('noaccount');

...to my logoff.php file, logged off again, and bam...everything is peachey. Should I leave that in the logoff file? Anything else I should unregister?

Having the logoff/reset option for PWA users keeps looking better and better.

I have a slight problem I placed all the code in the respective file where they belong and on my login.php page where a customer who wishes not to create an account when the checkout button is pressed it goes straight to the create account page. I know Im missing something somewhere.

Does anyone have an idea

Thanks for the help in advance

I have a slight problem I placed all the code in the respective file where they belong and on my login.php page where a customer who wishes not to create an account when the checkout button is pressed it goes straight to the create account page. I know Im missing something somewhere.

Does anyone have an idea

Thanks for the help in advance

The create_account page has been modified so that you still enter you name phone ex but you don't have to enter a password.

Shade and Sweet Water

Chris Czerniak

In addition to my last question about unregistering 'noaccount' in logoff.php, I have another question:

Any easy ways of deleting a PWA customers info IF they exit the cart before ordering? I added the LOGOFF option for PWA users(in part related to the unregistering 'noaccount' issue above) and will probably leave it that way UNLESS somebody has a reason I shouldnt offer the logoff option for PWA customers.......so something could be done to the logoff.php to cleanup after a PWA customer that logs off before completing purchase. I was thinking of trying to use some of the PWA code from checkout_success for this. Im unsure of any ways to clean up the PWA account if they would simply close the browser and not logoff.

Anybody want to help me with my issues? >_<

Hi all,

Just finished installing this mod and have run into a problem. When I tried a dummy run as a guest I got:

Please select a county/state from the County/State pull down menu.

Error Your Telephone Number must contain a minimum of 3 characters.

Error Your Password must contain a minimum of 5 characters.

I used the fix for the phone and password but it still keeps coming up. Can anyone help?

Fantastic contribution. Have quite a few more orders coming through my site as a result.

I've gone through about 30 pages in this topic and found that an error I am experiencing has occured to others as well, but so far I haven't found the solution. Sorry in advance if I've missed the answer, but I am not a programmer just someone who wished he was.

Problem : When trying to edit or delete a user signed up with PWA I get

Warning: reset(): Passed variable is not an array or object in /Library/Apache2/htdocs/catalog/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 17

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /Library/Apache2/htdocs/catalog/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 18

Accounts signed up via the standard osC method edit and delete fine.

I have a clean install of osC with only two mods, this one and "login a la amazon"

Now having read even more posts, I don' t think there is an easy solution to this one.

What I can tell is customers are popping in, shopping and just don't finish the checkout process. I guess this creates some confusion for the system when I try to later go in and delete the account info through the ADMIN area.

I need to clear this up since I had a customer yell at me today because the cart simply wouldn't let him back in because he had left an open order about an hour earlier via the PWA. The sale was lost.

How bout this? Can I just go into my database and start deleting the customers info from the "customers" table? Would there be additonal tables where I would need to make sure to remove certain information?

I was wondering what people thought of this contribution in regards to the lack of a shipping address. Obviously people are finding it valuable and I am wondering what effects sells more. The lack of being able to enter a shipping address or the ability to purchase without an account.

Shade and Sweet Water

Chris Czerniak

Now having read even more posts, I don' t think there is an easy solution to this one.

What I can tell is customers are popping in, shopping and just don't finish the checkout process. I guess this creates some confusion for the system when I try to later go in and delete the account info through the ADMIN area.

I need to clear this up since I had a customer yell at me today because the cart simply wouldn't let him back in because he had left an open order about an hour earlier via the PWA. The sale was lost.

How bout this? Can I just go into my database and start deleting the customers info from the "customers" table? Would there be additonal tables where I would need to make sure to remove certain information?

you should not have to, even if an email address already exists for a pwa account, they should be able to order again with the same email address. If your checks are right. existing PWA account email addresses do not matter when creating an account or entering pwa order information.

Treasurer MFC

I am using PWA and pretty happy with the results. But I also need to use another contribution (Country Based Shipping - http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...based+shipping)

This contribution disallows the shipping of certain products to certain specified states.

The problem happens when a user tries to order using guest account and puts in an acceptable state in it - he still gets an error in such a case. But when he goes ahead and changes the shipping address - all is OK.

So my guess is that when $customer_id == 0, the zones dont pass over OK, and hence the check for shipping address fails. Any ideas how I can sort this out? (BTW this is happening on checkout_shipping.php page)

I am cross-posting this on the forum page of Country page shipping as well - maybe the author of that contrib will be able to help me out.

you should not have to, even if an email address already exists for a pwa account, they should be able to order again with the same email address. If your checks are right. existing PWA account email addresses do not matter when creating an account or entering pwa order information.

I installed PWA contrib and thought it was working correctly, but when I try to checkout and enter an email address that was already previously entered I get the following message: "Your E-Mail Address already exists in our records - please log in with the e-mail address or create an account with a different address." I am forced to put a different email address before I can proceed.

I thought the PWA contrib provides the ability for repeat customers -- that it wouldn't matter if that email address had been entered before. I checked the database table and purchase without account field is set to 1.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

clearasmud- sounds like your entering an email that was used to create an existing account(regular account, not PWA)

I am having the same issue. I checked out using PWA. Did not create account. Then if I try to place another order using the same e-mail address, I get the same error that clearasmud is getting. I have just updated my PWA to version: 'Version 0.910 - Update'

Tim