• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upcoming Changes

Thanks for coming up with something that suits your needs.

No thanks.  

If you want to make it an addon, and you are able to fully support that addon => make it an addon and up it to addons.oscommerce.com

I don't really think having a "best selling" and "newly added" dropdown for sorting is something that suits my needs only.

If you go look at any modern platform, Its something which modern ecommerce has as default, which you can turn on and off.

You already have the option to turn on "model name", "price", "quantity", "manufacturer name" from admin as sorting dropdown options.

Having a few more such as "best sellers" and "newly added" and possibly some more is beneficial for all shop owners. Why prevent shopowners from a lack of options as default?

I doubt the extra few lines of code is going to slow any shop down.

I've yet to see a logical reason for not having these things as default imo.

post-214618-0-56200800-1425475469_thumb.jpg

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@@vampirehunter

No, its not on the 1st page. So i assume nobody doing it?

I'll try have a go.

If you're able to help with coding why not tackle one of the items on the list and help move the project forward?

Dan 

@@wHiTeHaT

Just a question between all this.

There are "Big" companies that have press releases for their products.

These are allowed to be used, no?

i often visit google news (science section), there i read allot of product releases etc.

Beside those....

Also so far i know, many is allowed to be used for "Educational purposes" only, no?

(to be honest, i not want to see more as 1 dog product lol, then i would prefer a category called: Animals, and in it also some other animal products, just my 5cents)

-Electronics

-Food

-Pets

-Games and/or books (virtual download/cd's/dvd's)

-....?

I remember in school their where 4 main small business categories, i just cannot remember their individual group names.

Morning Henry...

Regarding the image situation I don't think there are any particular protocols or regulations in place regarding the distribution or use of product images on the web...I sort of view it as "you are free to use our images as long as you use them in a matter that we might be happy with".  If you fail to do that we will release a pack of hounds on you for copyright infringement and anything else our hounds can think of.   We will bury you!  So with that said (and I may well be wrong) I think it's far better to ask for permission first then forgiveness later.

Regarding your second point, I agree that the categories will need some organization or re-organization but we probably want to do that when we get a all of the products and categories posted and we can see what direction things are taking.    

Dan

@@altoid  Please upload more products. If we end up with too many, we can always remove some. It's looking more like we won't have enough products for that to be a problem.

Anybody who doesn't like the dog products is welcome to upload something else. PM me for access to the site and go crazy.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Why not contact the big companies and ask for some product sample images. Just explain for what we want to use them. For shoes: Nike, Reebok, Timberland, Adidas, Puma...Electronics: Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Apple, Samsung, LG and so on...I mean they can't say more then no, right?

I'm hoping that some of the shop owners who don't have products that are suitable will do that or perhaps call some of the manufacturers they deal with like Steve and I have done.  I like the idea of having an assortment of items and getting the community involved.  BTW, where are  your products?  :)

Dan

@@altoid  Please upload more products. If we end up with too many, we can always remove some. It's looking more like we won't have enough products for that to be a problem.

Anybody who doesn't like the dog products is welcome to upload something else. PM me for access to the site and go crazy.

Regards

Jim

OK, but I'll skip the doggie tutus

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@altoid

Steve...I'm the one who put up that aquarium item and now that we have more that one category of pet products what do you think of reworking the categories a bit.  I'm thinking we should have...

Pet Products

- Aquarium

- Whatever

- Dog

- Whatever

Does that work for you?  If so let me know and I'll change them around or if you want and beat me to it, you can do so.  Otherwise if you have a better idea please post it here.

Also be sure to keep an eye on those dogs around the aquariums...they might find the water a little salty. :)

Dan

@@Dan Cole

Hi there,  I was just there and was thinking the same thing.  Go for it.  Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@altoid

There is no rest for the wicked...looks like we'll both need to add a general image for the top level product category....ie Aquarium and Dog.

Dan

@@altoid

Steve I was just adding another product and noticed that your backpack image isn't size correctly...I think it needs to be squared up. ie 500 X 500...it causes the product boxes to be misaligned on the what's new page etc.   

Also do you happen to know how to control the order in which the attributes are displayed in the drop down list.  On the Aquariums it shows 14 gallon and then 29 gallon but on the stands they are the other way around.  Any idea how to sort that out?

Dan

@@Dan Cole  OK, I'll fix that image.  Thanks for letting me know.

Regarding the attributes,  without looking at the query that generates that drop down, I  think by default its using the product_attributes_id in ascending order.   So what I did was if I wanted these sizes:

XXS
XS
Small

To appear in that order, when I assigned the attribute to the product, I did it in that order.  First XXS, then XS, then Small.   It looks like it worked out.

In the real world o:)  I use ajax attribute manager, which pretty much does the same thing for me but less painlessly.  Just sayin'.

Attributes Sort Order should perhaps make it into the core?

It's asked for very often ...

Thoughts ?

The whole attribute system needs to be replaced but I can't see it happening anytime soon, so adding a sort_order might be a good way to at least give a little more "function".

@@burt @@altoid

I just checked the query (good idea Steve) and it is "order by popt.products_options_name" which isn't helpful at all.   Changing to order by ID would help a bit but your suggestion Gary of adding a sort key is even better...I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend on it.

Dan

@@burt

Issued pull request for product info modularization. Also added in date available module even though it wasn't on your list (I thought maybe you just missed it)

Hello Matt @@mattjt83,

I tried your modules and found some issues.

My proposals to improve:

It is difficult to get this aligned in a modular way, so that it works for all sort orders etc.

I added alignment and float classes and vertical and horizontal margin classes as configuration entries.

Here the example of my modified gallery module:

includes/modules/content/product_info/cm_pi_gallery.php

function install() {
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Enable Product Image Gallery Module', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_GALLERY_STATUS', 'True', 'Should the product image gallery block be shown on the product info page?', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'True\', \'False\'), ', now())");
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Content Width', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_GALLERY_CONTENT_WIDTH', '4', 'What width container should the content be shown in?', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'12\', \'11\', \'10\', \'9\', \'8\', \'7\', \'6\', \'5\', \'4\', \'3\', \'2\', \'1\'), ', now())");
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Content Align-Float', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_ALIGN', 'pull-right', 'How should the content be aligned or float?', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'text-left\', \'text-center\', \'text-right\', \'pull-left\', \'pull-right\'), ', now())");
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Content Vertical Margin', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_VERT_MARGIN', 'VerticalMarginNormal', 'Top and Bottom Margin added to the module? none, small=5px, normal=10px, big=20px', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'\', \'VerticalMarginSmall\', \'VerticalMarginNormal\', \'VerticalMarginBig\'), ', now())");
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Content Horizontal Margin', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_HORIZ_MARGIN', '', 'Left and Right Margin added to the module? none, small=5px, normal=10px, big=20px', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'\', \'HorizontalMarginSmall\', \'HorizontalMarginNormal\', \'HorizontalMarginBig\'), ', now())");
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) values ('Sort Order', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_GALLERY_SORT_ORDER', '0', 'Sort order of display. Lowest is displayed first.', '6', '0', now())");
    }

function remove() {
      tep_db_query("delete from configuration where configuration_key in ('" . implode("', '", $this->keys()) . "')");
    }

function keys() {
      return array('MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_GALLERY_STATUS', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_GALLERY_CONTENT_WIDTH', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_ALIGN', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_VERT_MARGIN', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_HORIZ_MARGIN', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_GALLERY_SORT_ORDER');
    }

Then in:

includes/modules/content/product_info/templates/gallery.php

<div class="col-sm-<?php echo $content_width . ' ' . MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_ALIGN . ' ' . MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_VERT_MARGIN . ' ' . MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_HORIZ_MARGIN; ?> productsimages">
    <?php echo $gallery_output; ?>
</div> 

Then in:

custom.css

.VerticalMarginSmall {
  margin-top: 5px;
  margin-bottom: 5px;
}

.VerticalMarginNormal {
  margin-top: 10px;
  margin-bottom: 10px;
}

.VerticalMarginBig {
  margin-top: 20px;
  margin-bottom: 20px;
}

.HorizontalMarginSmall {
  margin-left: 5px;
  margin-right: 5px;
}

.HorizontalMarginNormal {
  margin-left: 10px;
  margin-right: 10px;
}

.HorizontalMarginBig {
  margin-left: 20px;
  margin-right: 20px;
}

Then the two individual buttons are getting moved somewhat uncontrolled on tablet view.

I suggest to keep them together in the same module.

There is also some space relative to other modules missing.

In some languages the button text strings are longer and both buttons will not fit in one line on xs mobile view. I stacked them for xs to show each one under another.

includes/modules/content/product_info/templates/cm_pi_button_line.php

<?php
/*
  $Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2014 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

class cm_pi_button_line {
    var $code;
    var $group;
    var $title;
    var $description;
    var $sort_order;
    var $enabled = false;

function cm_pi_button_line() {
      $this->code = get_class($this);
      $this->group = basename(dirname(__FILE__));

$this->title = MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_TITLE;
      $this->description = MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_DESCRIPTION;

if ( defined('MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_STATUS') ) {
        $this->sort_order = MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_SORT_ORDER;
        $this->enabled = (MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_STATUS == 'True');
      }
    }

function execute() {
      global $oscTemplate, $product_info, $HTTP_GET_VARS, $languages_id;

$content_width   = (int)MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_CONTENT_WIDTH;
      $review_button   = NULL;

$reviews_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as count, avg(reviews_rating) as avgrating from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " r, " . TABLE_REVIEWS_DESCRIPTION . " rd where r.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and r.reviews_id = rd.reviews_id and rd.languages_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' and reviews_status = 1");
      $reviews = tep_db_fetch_array($reviews_query);

if ($reviews['count'] > 0) {
        $review_button .= '<span itemprop="aggregateRating" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/AggregateRating"><meta itemprop="ratingValue" content="' . $reviews['avgrating'] . '" /><meta itemprop="ratingCount" content="' . $reviews['count'] . '" /></span>';
      }

$review_button .= tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_REVIEWS . (($reviews['count'] > 0) ? ' (' . $reviews['count'] . ')' : ''), 'glyphicon glyphicon-comment', tep_href_link('product_reviews.php', tep_get_all_get_params()));

ob_start();
      include(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'content/' . $this->group . '/templates/button_line.php');
      $template = ob_get_clean();

$oscTemplate->addContent($template, $this->group);
    }

function isEnabled() {
      return $this->enabled;
    }

function check() {
      return defined('MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_STATUS');
    }

function install() {
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Enable Product Buttons Module', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_STATUS', 'True', 'Should the product button_line block be shown on the product info page?', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'True\', \'False\'), ', now())");
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Content Width', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_CONTENT_WIDTH', '12', 'What width container should the content be shown in?', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'12\', \'11\', \'10\', \'9\', \'8\', \'7\', \'6\', \'5\', \'4\', \'3\', \'2\', \'1\'), ', now())");
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Content Align-Float', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_ALIGN', 'text-center', 'How should the content be aligned or float?', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'text-left\', \'text-center\', \'text-right\', \'pull-left\', \'pull-right\'), ', now())");
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Content Vertical Margin', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_VERT_MARGIN', 'VerticalMarginNormal', 'Top and Bottom Margin added to the module? none, small=5px, normal=10px, big=20px', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'\', \'VerticalMarginSmall\', \'VerticalMarginNormal\', \'VerticalMarginBig\'), ', now())");
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Content Horizontal Margin', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_HORIZ_MARGIN', '', 'Left and Right Margin added to the module? none, small=5px, normal=10px, big=20px', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'\', \'HorizontalMarginSmall\', \'HorizontalMarginNormal\', \'HorizontalMarginBig\'), ', now())");
      tep_db_query("insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) values ('Sort Order', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_SORT_ORDER', '0', 'Sort order of display. Lowest is displayed first.', '6', '0', now())");
    }

function remove() {
      tep_db_query("delete from configuration where configuration_key in ('" . implode("', '", $this->keys()) . "')");
    }

function keys() {
      return array('MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_STATUS', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_CONTENT_WIDTH', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_ALIGN', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_VERT_MARGIN', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_HORIZ_MARGIN', 'MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_BUTTON_LINE_SORT_ORDER');
    }
  }

and:

includes/modules/content/product_info/templates/button_line.php

<div class="buttonSet row col-sm-<?php echo $content_width . ' ' . MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_ALIGN . ' ' . MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_VERT_MARGIN . ' ' . MODULE_CONTENT_PRODUCT_INFO_PRICE_CONTENT_HORIZ_MARGIN; ?> ">
  <div class="col-xs-12 searchbox-margin text-center col-sm-6 reviewbutton">
    <?php echo $review_button; ?>
  </div>
  <div class="col-xs-12 searchbox-margin text-center col-sm-6 addcartbutton">
    <?php echo tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id', $product_info['products_id']) . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_IN_CART, 'glyphicon glyphicon-shopping-cart', null, 'primary', null, 'btn-success'); ?>
  </div>
</div> 

Not sure if the 3 different margin values are somewhat overengineered. The 10 px normal margin may be enough.

The alignemnt and float class and the margin classes in the configuration settings could add more flexibility also to the header and footer content modules.

Another point is that it would be may be better for the also purchased product module to include all code from the old file includes/modules/also_purchased_products.php into the cm_pi module. So we have one file less.

Kind regards

Rainer

PS:  I couldn't get the code examples show correct with line breaks in the newest firefox update. In google chrome it works now

give me a week, i go try replicate the product variants system.

Would you like to apply the table parent-child structure?

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

It's great to see the 234BS moving forward.  I recently started one live 234BS shop and have been updating my "gold" edition right along as commits are made on Github, but I wonder for those that are using "gold" and have not,  what are they going to do with the next release is out there?

As of today there are something like 46 commits after golds release.  Just dropping on top probably won't work for most because they probably have modified some core files for this or that add on or template install.

@@altoid

Steve I was just adding another product and noticed that your backpack image isn't size correctly...I think it needs to be squared up. ie 500 X 500...it causes the product boxes to be misaligned on the what's new page etc.   

Also do you happen to know how to control the order in which the attributes are displayed in the drop down list.  On the Aquariums it shows 14 gallon and then 29 gallon but on the stands they are the other way around.  Any idea how to sort that out?

Dan

oooops - I just added a couple of things but didn't check the pix are square. Shall I fix them?

Also - it looks like the attribute values come out in the order of creation. I guess it's a choice of live with that and plan the order of adding them, do an alpha sort on the value on the product page so they're at least consistent, or add a sort attribute and rewrite the attribute handling on the admin side (or the clever ajax thing?)

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

@@BrockleyJohn

Awesome....another shop owner stepping up.  Thank you!  :thumbsup:  

Regarding the images...yes please square them up. 

For the attributes it's a bit of a dogs breakfast at this point (sorry Steve...couldn't resist) but we need to work with the existing release for the time being.   Gary has added it to the task list and I think Henry has committed to write it up but for now try putting them in the order you want to have them show up and maybe it'll work for you.  It worked on one of my products but not the other.

Once again...thanks for stepping up.

Dan

I haven't be using attributes on my site so this is a bit lost on me but maybe Jim @kymation could add the changes to our sandbox site and we can all have a go at it.  Looking at the changes @@burt I'm think this will be a good fix for now.  I like the idea.

Dan

Archived