• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upcoming Changes

@@altoid

I contacted one of our suppliers about using their images for this project and got the go ahead.  They are high res., white background and should fit the needs.  I can post to Jim's site for you to look over.

That is awesome Steve...I'm glad you are able to participate.  :)

Dan

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@@kymation @@Dan Cole

I set up categories, product and attributes in the demo shop.  The description uses a bootstrapped table.  This is a responsive table, so on a small device take note how you can scroll it if needed.

All looks fairly decent but when looking at the site on my smartphone, portrait view take note of how the text is goofed up.  Wonder if this should be reported over in the bug thread?

post-231701-0-13246500-1425339614_thumb.jpg

Holding landscape, and on notebook, no problem.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Checked in Firefox on Android. The text wrap problem is caused by the word sunglasses (third word in the description) being too long to fit on the left of the image. This pushes that word -- and the rest of the description -- to the bottom of the picture. I'm not sure how to solve this. Can we do automatic hyphenation?

Edit: Apparently we can do auto-hyphenate, but hyphenation in Firefox is ... really weird. And broken. Anybody who can, please test this in a mobile browser and tell us what you see.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Fixed it! I removed the non-breaking spaces from the text, so it can flow around the image. So the question becomes, do we want to do this, or should we just start the text below the image on very small screens. Thoughts?

Regards

Jim

@@kymation

Fixed it! I removed the non-breaking spaces from the text, so it can flow around the image. So the question becomes, do we want to do this, or should we just start the text below the image on very small screens. Thoughts?

Regards

Jim

I think I like it better where it flows around the image. If we start the text below the picture, I think there's too much white space.

While on this subject, notice how the product name ('Dog Sunglasses', in this case) is wrapped. In the photo above, it looks fine. But, I have long names with multiple spaces, and sometimes the wrap looks messed up. For example, watch how this product name is broken up as the screen shrinks ...

Thoughts?

Malcolm

@@kymation

Edit: Apparently we can do auto-hyphenate, but hyphenation in Firefox is ... really weird. And broken. Anybody who can, please test this in a mobile browser and tell us what you see.

Is this what you mean by Firefox's hyphenation is .... weird?

:-  o:)  :wacko: (w00t)

Malcolm

Yes, that's what Firefox does when the second half of the hyphenated word is still too long to fit. I don't know what to do about that.

Part of the problem with your long titles is the price on the same line. Maybe we could move the price below the title line on small screens. That would give more room for the title, and would keep the price from floating into the middle of the title if the title did break. This may require some experimentation.

Regards

Jim

I set up categories, product and attributes in the demo shop.  

Well done Steve...it is nice to see a real life example and perhaps some issues we might not have stumbled upon otherwise.  It will be interesting to see what comes up as the others post their items.  I think I might follow your lead and talk to a couple of manufacturers I deal with and get permission to post some products too.

Dan

@@kymation

Part of the problem with your long titles is the price on the same line. Maybe we could move the price below the title line on small screens. That would give more room for the title, and would keep the price from floating into the middle of the title if the title did break. This may require some experimentation.

Not sure what to think about the word wrap issue Jim but I like your suggestion above...I might take it a bit further and lose the model number on small screens...you could probably replace it with the price so it's on a separate line as your suggesting but we probably need to get @@burt on side since this work is for the core package.  He probably will have some thoughts on the word wrap issue too.

Dan

Well done Steve...it is nice to see a real life example and perhaps some issues we might not have stumbled upon otherwise.  It will be interesting to see what comes up as the others post their items.  I think I might follow your lead and talk to a couple of manufacturers I deal with and get permission to post some products too.

Dan

My request for permission included a small sales pitch that it would be good exposure for their product line.  

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@wHiTeHaT

Also keep in mind that the whole product info a becomes cm_  where each section (description,images,buttons) can be enabled/disabled and positioned.(not waste to much time on this glitch)

Thanks Henry...good to know.  It is also a good reminder how easy it is to loose sight of the task at hand and get distracted by other issues.  As a former product manager it is something I used to have to guard against everyday.   Back then I had a little post it note on my desk that read..."Keep your eyes on the prize."

All right, lets get back to the task at hand -- adding those products to our sandbox.  :)

Dan   

....adding those products to our sandbox.  :)

Dan   

Please do -- that dog is getting lonely.

Regards

Jim

@@kymation

Please do -- that dog is getting lonely.

With those glasses I didn't even notice. :)

I dropped a note to one of the manufacturer reps that I deal with asking for permission to use a few images for this purpose so I hope to post a couple of products in a day or two.   I can't see that being a problem but I wanted to be sure. 

Hopefully we'll see a few more shop owners step up too.

Dan

I added another product, something to keep Fido or Fidette cozy in the winter.

This place is going to the dogs. :)

Minor spelling correction in that last description:  it's => its

Regards

Jim

to be honest, i not want to see more as 1 dog product lol

:lol:

4 main small business categories

- Prostitution

- Drugs

- Human trafficking

- ??? (don't remember)

Why not contact the big companies and ask for some product sample images. Just explain for what we want to use them. For shoes: Nike, Reebok, Timberland, Adidas, Puma...Electronics: Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Apple, Samsung, LG and so on...I mean they can't say more then no, right?

@@burt

Issued pull request for product info modularization.  Also added in date available module even though it wasn't on your list (I thought maybe you just missed it)

@@burt@@mattjt83,

Where to download the modular product_info.php??

Thank you

Just a question between all this.

There are "Big" companies that have press releases for their products.

These are allowed to be used, no?

i often visit google news (science section), there i read allot of product releases etc.

Beside those....

Also so far i know, many is allowed to be used for "Educational purposes" only, no?

(to be honest, i not want to see more as 1 dog product lol, then i would prefer a category called: Animals, and in it also some other animal products, just my 5cents)

-Electronics

-Food

-Pets

-Games and/or books (virtual download/cd's/dvd's)

-....?

I remember in school their where 4 main small business categories, i just cannot remember their individual group names.

I can change that category to pets.  Are you sure you don't want to see another dog product?  I have a doggie tutu I can through in there.

is the default sorting options for product listing going to be changed? or kept same?

eg the current sort dropdown on product listings says

"product name+"

"price"

whereas it would be better to have

"Price Low To High"

"Price High To Low"

"Best Selling" or "Most Popular"

"Newly Added"

I think this would mean editing the core code in the index file and product_listing file.

Is anyone already doing this?

If not, i could try and do it as i think this should be default in oscommerce.

is the default sorting options for product listing going to be changed? or kept same?

is it on the upcoming changes list posted at the very first post in this conversation ?

I looked at the code, and i'm not sure how to modify the way its basically adding the + and - ?

I suppose it might be easier to leave it that way, but the - and + is a bit distracting as its not descriptive or clear cut enough imo.

So what i've have done for time being is just done following:

1.) added new configurations into the database for "Best Sellers" and "Latest Added" so they can be turned on/off from Admin as per the other sort options.

2.) added "TABLE_HEADING_BESTSELLERS"  to includes/languages/english.php, as i saw that the "TABLE_HEADING_LATEST_ADDED" is already there but doesnt seem to have been added as a sorting option in the database.

3.) added the switch cases for the if/else in Index.php and product_listing.php

Its not much, but at least its giving more options for the sorting order,

Thanks for coming up with something that suits your needs.

Shall i submit this above code changes into github?

No thanks.  

If you want to make it an addon, and you are able to fully support that addon => make it an addon and up it to addons.oscommerce.com

Thanks for coming up with something that suits your needs.

No thanks.  

If you want to make it an addon, and you are able to fully support that addon => make it an addon and up it to addons.oscommerce.com

ok,

but Its not really an add on.

Its adding "best sellers" and "newly added" as sort order dropdown options to the existing ones such as "model name", "price" and "quantity".

I would have that it would be recommended to have best sellers as a default option to turn on from admin? would there be a good logical reason to leave it out?

Archived