• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upcoming Changes

I was just going to add this to the sandbox. It's nice that we have some products there now to test this with.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just going to add this to the sandbox. It's nice that we have some products there now to test this with.

Regards

Jim

OK, I'll take a when ready.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

And done. I think. I really hate hand patching something like this.

I tested it by putting in some of the values, and it seems to work as expected. Everyone who has products there can now test their own, and leave them set the way they want them to be.

Regards

Jim

And done. I think. I really hate hand patching something like this.

I tested it by putting in some of the values, and it seems to work as expected. Everyone who has products there can now test their own, and leave them set the way they want them to be.

Regards

Jim

Jim did you need to change any of the code from the commit I posted ?

Shopowners who have uploaded and are playing with attribute sorting, please let me know if it seems to work well => if it does I'll commit to the main core, and then re-look at it when/if wHiTeHaT backports the v3 attribute system.

Doesn't appear to be working on pre-existing attribute.

For the dog hat

Original set up

Blue

Pink 

Red

edited the attributes for the dog hat to order

Red 10

Blue 20

Pink 30

But the sort order for the drop down remains unchanged.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I added the food pics last week. the admn says to create 100x80 thumbs, so i did, but I'm under the impression everyone else created squares ...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I added the food pics last week. the admn says to create 100x80 thumbs, so i did, but I'm under the impression everyone else created squares ...

That's what I did based on Dan's request, otherwise the listing appearance is screwed up.   Changing mine to square 200x200 rather than say 200x165 did fix up the display.

@@bruyndoncx  I didn't realized those were your food items.  That is awesome.  :thumbsup: 

Thanks for stepping up and posting them and please accept my apologies for not thanking you previously.   My bad. 

Regarding the images when I mentioned they should be squared up I was thinking of the main images...I then noticed that Steve has some thumbs that were squared and some not so the product boxes got a little out of alignment.  I know there are other ways to sort that out but since we are suppose to be working with the stock version of osC the simple fixed seemed to be to just square them all up.  So that is how we got there.    

Dan

I changed the image settings so that where it used to say main image (100 X 80) so that it now says (200 X 200) to make sure we don't run into that issue again. Sorry @@bruyndoncx  It makes the site look a lot nicer to these old eyes too. :)

Dan

@@burt  I can confirm what Steve said..

Doesn't appear to be working on pre-existing attribute.

..it didn't work for me either.

Dan

@@burt

On the new line 162 in product_info....perhaps "order by pa.sort_order" should be "order by pa.products_options_sort_order".

Dan

No, the problem is that I fumbled one of @@burt's changes. My bad. It's fixed now, and they seem to be working as expected.

Did I mention how much I hate manual upgrades from diffs?

@@Dan Cole  The original is correct, as it matches the database. My question is why is one of the database fields named products_options_sort_order and the other is only sort_order? I would rather use table_name + sort_order for all of them, or just sort_order for all. Seems more consistent....

Regards

Jim

@@Dan Cole

no problem - just thought to confess it was me adding pictures without text :D

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Works for me, now (and the winter hat too).

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

@@burt

I think its all good Gary...the only thing that came up was the variable name that I tripped on and Jim mentioned in his post. 

Dan

@@burt  I tested out the one that I noticed not working and it's OK now.  Are we looking for anything other than is the sort order working now based up on update?

@@burt  I tested out the one that I noticed not working and it's OK now.  Are we looking for anything other than is the sort order working now based up on update?

Great - I'll commit it tomorrow.  It doesn't affect what wHiTeHaT is working on.

THANK YOU for all the testing you do.

Perhaps I'm not looking carefully enough, but I couldn't find a section for documentation on github (or is it in a branch?)

If it's going to be officially released it'll need the osC documentation.pdf revised (not least the screenshot that says Welcome to osCommerce Merchant v2.2, and various other references to 2.2). Can we get hold of the source file(s) for this?

It's quite big and mainly aimed at new stores. I wonder if it's possible to put something else together for existing shop owners that's informative enough to be useful about what's different but generic enough to be both true and comprehensible...

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

My copy of Libre Office opened the documentation.pdf and lets me edit it. I have heard that the latest version does a better job of this. There are other PDF converters available as well. One of these should be good enough to make minor edits.

I think that the current documentation file is a bit too big. It's daunting to try to find something in there if you're new to the whole package and don't know where to look. I believe that it could be improved if it's broken up into sections: one for installation, one for configuration, one for modules, etc.

Regards

Jim

My copy of Libre Office opened the documentation.pdf and lets me edit it. I have heard that the latest version does a better job of this. There are other PDF converters available as well. One of these should be good enough to make minor edits.

I think that the current documentation file is a bit too big. It's daunting to try to find something in there if you're new to the whole package and don't know where to look. I believe that it could be improved if it's broken up into sections: one for installation, one for configuration, one for modules, etc.

Regards

Jim

I've tried it on the Fresh release 4.4.1 but it pulls it into Draw instead of Writer, so it's separate lines of text. It would be possible to correct typos and replace images but not anything that involved any change to the layout. I think the document's probably too big for the free online converters I've used before, but I can explore other options if need be (like a free trial of a better one). 

And a very important (to me anyway) addition would be to give us the ability to add different pictures for different product attributes.

Eg. a different picture for different coloured T-Shirts.

Thanks.

@@RaVlaNa

And a very important (to me anyway) addition would be to give us the ability to add different pictures for different product attributes.

Thanks.

Henry is working on this and while I don't know what features he will be including I'm sure he'll see your input here.  Just to clarify do you want the ability to add an image beside attribute list, that perhaps changes as the attributed selected changes, or did you want the various images to show beside the attribute list regardless of whether an attribute is selected or not...or something other than those?

Dan

Thanks.

@@RaVlaNa

Henry is working on this and while I don't know what features he will be including I'm sure he'll see your input here.  Just to clarify do you want the ability to add an image beside attribute list, that perhaps changes as the attributed selected changes, or did you want the various images to show beside the attribute list regardless of whether an attribute is selected or not...or something other than those?

Dan

First, I should confess that the live store doesn't make use of product attributes, we've separate products for the different options. I can't begin to think about how we'd have built the interfaces to the stock systems in that case, as neither has an equivalent concept. However, when I put in some bootstrap test data, I did use them. In the example data there are inflatable stars which come in three sizes, and with or without colour-changing LEDs inside.

http://bootstrap.kymation.com/index.php?cPath=10_11_12

I implemented the option with/without lamp as an attribute. In this case, it would have been nice to have an illustration next to the attribute selection so that when someone chooses the option, it changes to show this.

I implemented the different sizes as different products for two reasons; first because people tend to order a mixture of sizes together and with separate products they don't have to wonder 'how do I order 2 medium and 1 large?'

However, the other reason was that I wanted to use different images for the different sizes, as somewhere I have photos that include a person for scale (though as it goes I haven't found them yet). If I were using attributes for this, I'd want to change the main product image to show the choice, both in the product info page and the basket page (where it would make it less easy to mistake how many of which option you're ordering).

The same would apply to this product, which comes in black or white: http://bootstrap.kymation.com/product_info.php?cPath=10_13&products_id=14

And on the subject of attributes in the basket, I would want our users to be able to change the option(s) on something they've already added to the basket without having to work out that the only way of doing that is to remove it from the basket and add it again.

All of that said, you can put this in the pile of 'requirements from real stores that aren't really going to use them' (probably).

If anyone cares, the live data (on 2.2 and hopeless on a small screen) is here: http://shop.clubtek.co.uk/pipe-drape-support-inflatables-starcloths-c-71.html

Archived