• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upcoming Changes

My product offer is there if needed

If the product line doesn't fit in no problem if they aren't used.   Maybe something more mainstream?

Our stuff is pretty specific to our business type, which is dog apparel and accessories.

I realize this is for the vanilla shop, but maybe keep the products theme to a similar line than all over the place.  

Can we have a look?  

I was thinking the same regarding using similar products but I kind of like the idea of having different shop owners involved and contributing. I guess we're not really trying to sell the items so it is probably more important to show off the features of the site itself...I think as long as the presentation is good the type of products probably don't matter all that much. 

Dan

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@@ArtcoInc

Do you have a collection of T-shirts or other clothing that you're offering to contribute?  You just need to be sure that we don't get tangled up in any copyright issues.

Dan

In my store, I sell a industry specific product that I manufacture (torch tips for glassblowing artists). I have no problem contributing photos and descriptions, but the items would unfamiliar to most people.

http://www.ShelboWhisperTips.com

My suggestion about T-shirts was based on the fact that they are universal, and can provide a vehicle to demonstrate size and color options.

Malcolm

Hummm.....coffee, salt and apples....I won't ask. :)  

So are you offering to contribute a category of products...with images, descriptions etc?

Dan

I can do more then just find some commodities that are not copyrighted, although http://www.shinyredapples.com/ I have to doublecheck with harald :p

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

@@ArtcoInc

In my store, I sell a industry specific product that I manufacture (torch tips for glassblowing artists). I have no problem contributing photos and descriptions, but the items would unfamiliar to most people.

If we're going with a mixture of different items/products I don't think that's an issue.  The more variety the better. 

Dan 

@@bruyndoncx

I can do more then just find some commodities that are not copyrighted.

Perfect...if I'm not mistaken, so far we have..

yourself

@@mattjt83

@@altoid

@@ArtcoInc

Did I miss anyone?

I'll start to think about the process and rules of engagement next and post back later.

In the meantime who else wants to help out?

Dan

@@bruyndoncx

Perfect...if I'm not mistaken, so far we have..

yourself

@@mattjt83

@@altoid

@@ArtcoInc

Did I miss anyone?

I'll start to think about the process and rules of engagement next and post back later.

In the meantime who else wants to help out?

Dan

I'll have to email the image, title and description of the items.  They reside in a local shop that's still in development.

Here's an example,  this product has 6 images, here's one:

post-231701-0-43073900-1425045837_thumb.jpg

And the description is something like this:

This Colorful Faux Fur Dog Coat With Sequins is for a smaller breed dog. This fabulous dog coat was made in the Bark Avenue Originals shop by our own skilled designer. You will not see another one like it.

This beautiful dog coat has the sequined word "LOVE" hand stitched on the back.

The colorful dog coat is a mix of red, gold, purple and aqua in a beautiful pattern.  As a special touch, there is a red and purple gem is at the throat.

The coat slides over the head and has a Velcro closure under the tummy and is fully lined with a gold color satin fabric.

This is a one of a kind dog coat.  No other sizes are available for this style.   Once it's sold, it's gone!

This Colorful Faux Fur Dog Coat With Sequins is for a smaller size dog.  The model for this dog coat is a 7 pound Shih Tzu puppy. See sizing recommendations below.

Sizing for the Colorful Faux Fur Dog Coat With Sequins

The measurements are 10 1/2 " down the back, 10 1/2 " neck, and 19" around the tummy.

To determine if this will fit your doggie, measure from collar line to base of tail for the back.  Then around the collar line area for the neck and finally around the doggie middle for the tummy measurement.

If you are not sure of the sizing, please contact us for consultation.

Machine wash and lay flat to dry.

So if that fits the scenario, there you go.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Could you take product image focused only the product? Background enviroments no required. The best image format is some PNG layer with clarity backgound.

Minimal fade or shadows are enabled on a second clarity layer.

For example:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSonxYui03OGFyd06_xOHoppRlNPPGI_zj6SCCb6e2ym4GmXacA

http://pngimg.com/download/851

All layers should be 100% transparent

JPG or GIF not required.

Take at least 3 photo about one product.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

@@Gergely

Regarding the backgrounds I completely agree Gergely.   I think the products look much better that way and blend in better with any site design or redesign.

The images on that pnpimg site look awesome and could really help this project however I couldn't find any information on whether the images could be used on a commerical site though or anyway to contact them.  Did you see anything regarding that? 

Dan

@@Dan Cole

PNG is a free format. You can use anywhere or have you thought to linked image?

http://dfiles.eu/agreem.html

osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

@@Gergely

That was about the most beautiful bunch of bananas I ever saw....really!!

About the best I can get for transparent background is this.

post-231701-0-00725600-1425156004_thumb.jpg

I removed as much of the background as I could.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@altoid

I removed as much of the background as I could.

Steve I don't know how interested you are in removing those backgrounds but I have used this service in the past with awesome results...

http://www.removethebackground.com/how-it-works/

Dan

Okay I've given this a bit of thought and here is what I'm currently thinking..

Lets set up a sandbox shop somewhere using the BS gold version and give each of the shop owners who are willing to participate in the project admin access so they can set up their own product category, product images, descriptions etc...that would allow us to tweak things and otherwise make suggestions for improvements as appropriate.  Once that is done we could then move it to Github of where ever it needs to end up for inclusion in the official release.

I'm also thinking that we should establish a standard regarding the size of the images to be used, whether they should have backgrounds etc. In that regard I think it would be best if we used images with dimensions of say 1000 X 1000 to give us a nice large image to start with and images with a white or clear background so they fit with the general theme of the website, color that is chosen etc. I'd also suggest that we use a minimum of 2 or 3 images per product. It would also be nice to have products with attributes as well but perhaps we can leave that kind of detail until we see exactly what we end up with for products. In other words lets get the images and descriptions sorted out and then focus on the other details. I would see us posting a link to the sandbox site to get feedback and hopefully encourage other shop owners to participate in the project. 

Does this approach make sense to you?  Please let me know what you think one way or the other and if it seems like a sensible approach I'll see if I can get a sandbox site hosted (unless someone else wants to do so) and we'll move this along. 

Dan

I have a test site already, and one more test install of osCommerce won't break it. If you want to use it, I'll set up a subdomain that everyone can play with. I suggest giving admin name and login only to those who are adding products.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Good idea @@kymation ! Thanks

@@altoid

Steve I don't know how interested you are in removing those backgrounds but I have used this service in the past with awesome results...

http://www.removethebackground.com/how-it-works/

Dan

@@Dan Cole

Thanks i'll bookmark that but most of our stuff I get pics from the manufacturer, and ti's all good.  I use those in our reseller shops.

To these specific items that my wife makes, we do our own photos and kind of keep it homey in that the theme of this particular shop is that it's mom and pop owned and operated.  So I won't do much image tweaking other than optimization.

So for that, given what's needed for the project here,  if those images don't work, no problem and we'll bag that.

For the stuff we resell from our suppliers, while we have the OK to use those I'm not sure who has image rights and it it would be a problem to use them or not for the project.

I have a test site already, and one more test install of osCommerce won't break it. If you want to use it, I'll set up a subdomain that everyone can play with. I suggest giving admin name and login only to those who are adding products.

Regards

Jim

@@kymation

Jim....I appreciate that and also agree with you about who should have access.     Thanks for stepping up and making that happen (and quickly too).  :thumbsup: 

Dan

@@altoid

To these specific items that my wife makes, we do our own photos and kind of keep it homey in that the theme of this particular shop is that it's mom and pop owned and operated.  So I won't do much image tweaking other than optimization.

So for that, given what's needed for the project here,  if those images don't work, no problem and we'll bag that.

I understand Steve and am sorry to hear that.  I would really like to have you involved.  If you find some items/images that are suitable please jump back in.

Dan

I don't have any products to add, but I know where I can get one -- the osCommerce code itself. Add in a product named Code to Make This Site or something similar. Make it a downloadable and give it a price of zero. I know we won't have any problem with copyrights. It could be some extra advertising for osCommerce as well.

Regards

Jim

@@kymation

You're not just another pretty face, are you? :P   That's a great idea and we're going to need an example of a downloadable product so that would fit in nicely.

Dan

The only downside to that idea is that osCommerce downloads would have to contain a second copy of the downloadable archive. And that's a big archive.

Or we could come up with an installer that grabs the latest version from Github. That would be a pretty small file. I may have to play with that idea.

Regards

Jim

To those of you who kindly offered to post a few products to give the Bootstrap version a fresh look, please PM Jim @@kymation to get access to the administration area and feel free to post your favorite items.  Our sandbox site can be found at http://bootstrap.kymation.com

Please also keep in mind the general suggestions contained in post #97 regarding the image sizes etc.  That post can be quickly accessed here...http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/400819-upcoming-changes/?p=1718971

At this point it would be helpful to have a few more shop owners involved so if you can help out please indicate your interest here and also PM Jim.

In case you're wondering or are concerned that you might be wasting your time, I ran this process by Gary @@burt and it has his support.  He has a lot on his plate and I know that anything we can do to help will be appreciated.  Lets all do what we can.      

If you have any questions please post them here.  

Dan

@@Dan Cole @@kymation

I contacted one of our suppliers about using their images for this project and got the go ahead.  They are high res., white background and should fit the needs.  I can post to Jim's site for you to look over.

@@altoid  PM me and I'll give you the site login so you can add your products.

Thanks for volunteering to help. I can't wait to get some modern products in.

Regards

Jim

Archived