• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal App for osCommerce Online Merchant

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Moxamint, looking at the version of Paypal_standard I really don't think IPN is the way to go. Comment out the tep_mail() function in paypal_standard.php. You probably going to get one email now. But there is a bigger problem, and that your order is going through the "after" process twice. The processing codes in standard_ipn.php look more outdated. So I would suggest you go to PDT, and it is a very simple switch, and I know it works.

Should you really wanting to fix your issue. The tep_mail() in paypal_standard.php is in the before_process() method, and if you are using IPN, the before_process() method should not be called. In my paypal_standard.php file, I have these block of codes in the pre_before_check() method...there's the idea...track down how your before_process() method was called with IPN...the checkout_process.php calls the $payment->before_process() method...hope I did not confuse you.

// skip before_process() if order was already processed in IPN
      if ( $check['orders_status'] != OSCOM_APP_PAYPAL_PS_PREPARE_ORDER_STATUS_ID ) {
        if ( tep_session_is_registered('comments') && !empty($comments) ) {
          $sql_data_array = array('orders_id' => $order_id,
                                  'orders_status_id' => (int)$check['orders_status'],
                                  'date_added' => 'now()',
                                  'customer_notified' => '0',
                                  'comments' => $comments);

tep_db_perform(TABLE_ORDERS_STATUS_HISTORY, $sql_data_array);
        }

// load the after_process function from the payment modules
        $this->after_process();

Thanks.  I'll try using PDT only and see what happens.  Is <<checkout_process.php>> being called at all when using PayPal Standard?  <<standard_ipn.php>> redirect buyers to <<checkout_success.php>>, but in osC admin the PayPal Standard suggest that <<checkout_process.php>> must be used as the return URL.

Thanks, Eddy

Hi there

I am very interested in this discussion

My IPN and PayPal standard works like this.

PDT is on 

IPN is on

If the IPN from PayPal reaches my site before/if the customer clicks and returns then stock is updated emails sent etc from by the IPN

If User clicks and returns and gets back faster then the IPN then PayPal standard takes people through to checkout success and all is updated sent etc.

However the email is sent by PayPal Standard in this case not checkout_process

For me it is one or the other. I tested it by having slightly different emails in IPN and PayPal standard and then in sandbox I would purchase and not return to the site.

1 email was sent from IPN  and then I return from PayPal to the site and no 2nd email was sent and stock was not wrongly updated as the IPN had done it.

I then did the opposite and sure enough the PayPal standard email was sent etc etc.

I have been told on here that this is not the case but on my site and in my testing it is what occurs and has been fro many years.

i also looked in the logs where i could see if the IPN was logged first or second and the corresponding emails matched up.

I use the latest PayPal app.  ( I have no idea what PDT does)

@Moxamint , yeah, in my earlier post I had stated that PDT use checkout_process.php (you'd see the warning when you turn on PDT in the Paypal app, too). You need to make sure that you setup Paypal to return to your website after payment completion. The GET/POST strings are passed back to checkout_process.php, and at this line of code, "$payment->before_process()", it will go to paypal_standard.php's before_process() method to complete the order processing and checkout_success.php page. One email from the paypal_standard.php's before_process() method. And if you look at the order processing codes, you'll see the codes are more "fresh" in the paypal_standard.php vs. standard_ipn.php. 

13 hours ago, Moxamint said:

Thanks.  I'll try using PDT only and see what happens.  Is <<checkout_process.php>> being called at all when using PayPal Standard?  <<standard_ipn.php>> redirect buyers to <<checkout_success.php>>, but in osC admin the PayPal Standard suggest that <<checkout_process.php>> must be used as the return URL.

Thanks, Eddy

12 hours ago, douglaswalker said:

PDT is on 

IPN is on

@douglas walker, I believe in the long run you should not use IPN. I would just disable IPN on Paypal and go get PDT working for some of those reasons I had stated above. I assume Paypal fires off either PDT or IPN and not both. I didn't have the time to test that theory. Based on what I saw in the codes, I imagine IPN may not be supported forever...

From PayPal Developer Site

PDT has a major weakness: it sends order confirmations once and only once. As a result, when PDT sends a confirmation, your site must be running; otherwise, it will never receive the message.

With IPN, in contrast, delivery of order confirmations is virtually guaranteed since IPN resends a confirmation until your site acknowledges receipt. For this reason, PayPal recommends that you implement IPN rather than PDT.

4 hours ago, douglaswalker said:

From PayPal Developer Site

PDT has a major weakness: it sends order confirmations once and only once. As a result, when PDT sends a confirmation, your site must be running; otherwise, it will never receive the message.

With IPN, in contrast, delivery of order confirmations is virtually guaranteed since IPN resends a confirmation until your site acknowledges receipt. For this reason, PayPal recommends that you implement IPN rather than PDT.

@douglaswalker, thx for the info. I didn't see that. I think the risk is the same as the server would go down during a non-paypal transaction checkout. To me, if it occurs, say 0.0001%, I am ok with it; otherwise, addressing server up time may be more pressing. To use IPN, I am sure that you need a code walk through. It seems not ready to me with the latest release... 

@clustersolution I turned off IPN and left PDT on.  Now I received only one e-mail from paypal_standard.php and the customer was redirected to checkout_success.php successfully.  However, while the order ID logged in the e-mail is 1060717418, the order ID logged in admin/orders is 1060717417.  I went to check my database, the order ID to be used for next order is 1060717418.  Also the order status stayed at Preparing [PayPal].  It never changed to Verify [PayPal].

I have no idea what's happening.  I guess my issues with PayPal APP is unique?

Thanks, Eddy

@clustersolution Update: All info provided above was from my development site.  I just made a real purchase at my productive site (running on non-responsive osC 2.3.3.4) and everything including e-mail went through and logged correctly with IPN turned off and PDT turned on in my PayPal account.  If I remember correctly, the old osC only uses IPN.  So does PayPal code in osC simply ignore the setting in PayPal account???

Thanks, Eddy

Hi there

weird

I have both PDT & IPN ON as recommended. All works as expected for me.

Have you made changes to PayPal Standard?

There should be a check in IPN and PayPal Standard to stop double logging and emails

Doug

On 7/30/2017 at 5:52 PM, douglaswalker said:

@clustersolutions  Hi there,

the IPN with the latest ap works perfectly. (php 5.6) I have it on my site. The new ap is the best incarnation of it for years. 

Doug

hey @douglaswalker, that wouldn't surprise me. There're just so many OSC variants out there that some may work, and some may not. Mine just happen not, and when I looked at the code I found my IPN order processing portion outdated and the PDT was the quickest route. 

Yes I was very happy when it just worked out of the box for me. I remember in the early days (10 years ago) having a special version coded to get it all to work.. thankfully that is behind me now. (at least for a few weeks anyway):biggrin:

@moxamint, I think if your objective is to get the latest Paypal app working with 2.3.4 or 2.4 I would just focus on that. I imagine which endpoint paypal calls on your site is depended on its setting (i.e. PDT or IPN). For your order id issue, check the console log.network, you should be able to see the posting strings. You probably need to disable checkout_process.php by adding a "die;' statement at the beginning. If the order id being passed back was correct, then the issue is probably lie somewhere in checkout_process.php and paypal_standard.php's before_process() method...that's how I incorporated CCVG order_total in it and getting PDT to work. I won't claim to be an expert with Paypal as I had a total of 8 hr of work in it in the past 15+ yrs. I just had to do it for the first time ever since for a small store that wanted to use a payment solution without upfront fee. I'll try to help when I can...

21 hours ago, Moxamint said:

@clustersolution Update: All info provided above was from my development site.  I just made a real purchase at my productive site (running on non-responsive osC 2.3.3.4) and everything including e-mail went through and logged correctly with IPN turned off and PDT turned on in my PayPal account.  If I remember correctly, the old osC only uses IPN.  So does PayPal code in osC simply ignore the setting in PayPal account???

Thanks, Eddy

@Gergely@clustersolution@douglaswalker I confirm that my issue was introduced by the code change I made in checkout_process.php.  I did not know PayPal does use checkout_process.php, and the code change in it works for my bank payment option, so I never looked into it...  Thanks very much again for your help!

Best wishes, Eddy

23 hours ago, Moxamint said:

@Gergely@clustersolution@douglaswalker I confirm that my issue was introduced by the code change I made in checkout_process.php.  I did not know PayPal does use checkout_process.php, and the code change in it works for my bank payment option, so I never looked into it...  Thanks very much again for your help!

Best wishes, Eddy

@moxamint, awesome, good to know!

2 hours ago, crimble crumble said:

Installed the latest version of the app and it works great however I'm having problems getting "Order Administration: Capture full or partial authorizations, refund full or partial transactions" to work. Does anyone else have this working with the latest BS Edge version?  I see it uses web-hooks, does something need to be set up in the PayPal developer account to get the refunds to work?

Can you describe the problem further? Does the popup window appear with the input fields to enter the amount in? This is how they should function:

https://library.oscommerce.com/Package&en&paypal&oscom23&order_administration

Are errors being logged and displayed in the PayPal -> Log page?

:heart:, osCommerce

1 hour ago, crimble crumble said:

The details button performs as expected but when I click the refund button it just redirects me to the admin index.php page. No window pops up. Also, there is no Paypal tab on the top/tabbed interface. I only see the buttons (details,refund,view at paypal) on the bottom of the page.

That definitely does not sound right. Could you provide a screenshot of how that page looks? Be sure to censor out any sensitive information.

:heart:, osCommerce

• 2 weeks later...

@Harald Ponce de LeonHello Harald,

Sorry, have this posted in the wrong topic:

https://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/410770-paypal-app-v5000/?do=findComment&comment=1759811

Please consider to remove it there.

Now the post:

Tried to install latest PayPal app on a store with only digital/downloadable products. I get the error message " 10004 - Transaction refused because of an invalid argument. See additional error messages for details. - You are not signed up to accept payment for digitally delivered goods. "

There is no option in my spanish PayPal account for to accept digital goods and I contacted the spanish PayPal support and they do not know anything about this option.
In older versions this worked.

Discount coupon add on seems doesn't work any more with the latest PayPal app version in the sense that the discount isn't passed to PayPal. (SSL and Instant update set to true).

On the Checkout confirmation page the discount shows correct and order total is correct. Not so on the PayPal payment page.

This also worked correct in older versions.

Thanks

Rainer

@Harald Ponce de Leon

Harald, having real problems with the Paypal App in the UK in relation to 3d Secure.  Does the hosted checkout support 3d secure.  I did see somewhere on the roadmap that is was planned for it but can't see (or haven't found!) any further info about it.

Thanks very much.

Kind regards

Rob

@Harald Ponce de Leon
PayPal Express Checkout - The only choice PayPal Payment Module needed?

if you have "set password" module and "login with paypal" activated, "paypal express checkout" from the paypal app can be the only choice paypal module for logged in customers going thrue the oscommerce checkout, as well as guests starting from the paypal express checkout button in the shopping cart, right? no need to have paypal payments standard activated as second option, right?

"Login with PayPal" Problem.

next, i have logged in with "login with paypal" from the paypal app and figured that the gender has not been set and the "street" has been filled with the "full name". in oscommerce customer details admin settings, all except gender is set to false (so no birthday, company, suburb, state). and where does the additional requested paypal "account information" go to? (response from the logs "postal_code=14480&locality=Potsdam&country=DE&street_address=Stephan+Gebbers")

and will the birthday (etc) from paypal be stored only when the birthday is set to true in Oscommerce Customer Details settings?

PayPal App

In general i'm not sure if i understand how the paypal app is meant to work. Currently i only have "login with paypal" and "paypal express checkout" activated. But the data you get from a new customer account thru "paypal express checkout" is different compared the "login with paypal" right?
Or is nothing from the "extra" data from login with paypal stored anywhere? I could find the extra data in the paypal app logs only.

Regards,
Stephan

Archived